Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Cartman
  • 1 Post By Bill999
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Sidetrack
  • 1 Post By blip
  • 1 Post By blip
  • 2 Post By -BW-
  • 2 Post By Barry the hunter

Thread: Does removing action from the stock change zero?

Does removing action from the stock change zero?

Cleaned up my 'new' Norinco .22 over the weekend. Nice smooth bolt now, and the mag no longer falls out when you look at it.
    But I've probably messed up my sighting in haven't I, after taking the action out of the stock and tightening the screws when I put it back in (they were quite loose when I started the exercise).

What kind of POA change should I expect? Will I be starting from scratch?

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

I wont be "starting from scratch" but most likely it will need adjusted. Couple shots at 50 yards will see where youre at.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Eat Meater likes this.

it might have changed a little

just check if its more than an inch or two at 40m id be very surprised usually its the same but you still need to check to make sure
    Eat Meater likes this.

Probably be ok, I've done it to a brno no2 basically the norincos great grandad to clean rust and crap out of and replace a missing action screw. Shot the same before and after
    Eat Meater likes this.

The only way to know is to go check it on paper. If it’s off it won’t be off by a mile.

Not sure if there is a definitive answer to that question. From personal experience, no, but probably depends on a number of things. Have stripped down my REM. 270 from its still original plastic stock, a number of times, no change and recently a very fine shooting 10/22 sitting in a Hogue stock. Even moved the scope around to suit my preferences and it never moved off zero, which it shouldn’t if you think about it.
    Eat Meater likes this.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

For some reason a lot of the rimfires arent that badly affected but it. Pays to check zero tho but cant imagine anything too drastic unless youve removed a pressure point or something....
    Eat Meater likes this.

I was tempted to remove some of the splinters from when the manufacturer hacked a groove in the stock for the action, but resisted because I figured it might screw things up. I may bed it one day if I can't get groups sub 2 MOA (currently 4cm at 50m), but I've only put 30 rounds through it so far.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Some of them look like the inletting was done with a chain saw. You might find it settles down after 100 rounds or so. This is just what Ive found but 22lr generally likes a bit of fouling in the barrel. If I do clean the bore it can take 20 or so rounds to settle down again. Others will of had different experiances with this...
    Eat Meater likes this.

Like many others who have tinkered with their rifles, I have found some rifles have help very close to zero after splitting the action and the stock, and some have not. Though the worst I can recall was still on the target paper at 100.

Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    Like many others who have tinkered with their rifles, I have found some rifles have help very close to zero after splitting the action and the stock, and some have not. Though the worst I can recall was still on the target paper at 100.
    yes BW right my 788 Rem .308 might be only two clicks out but my old .222 Tikka 590 would be 7-8 clicks high and 2-3 clicks of windage out at 100 metres if pulled apart but both once zeroed again would hold zero - the 788 Rem was amazing for holding zero especially for a wooden stock
    -BW- and Eat Meater like this.