Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: dpt suppressor cleaning

dpt suppressor cleaning

hey all i have been meaning to clean my dpt suppressor but am unsure how to and only know that one mate does a simple blowout with a air compressor. does anyone have any tips or know of any instructional videos.

Also some of the baffles are either stuck or i do not have enough leverage to unscrew and clean each portion.Are there any tips to unstuck them.

Gone but not forgotten
    Cleaning instructions are on their website somewhere.
    Basically, pull it apart, spray with WD40, and apply lithium grease to the threads when you put it back together.

They sell clamps for getting stuck baffles apart, or you can DIY it using cardboard and hoseclips (I think that might be on the website too)
    Nugget connaisseur and dannyb like this.

Gone but not forgotten

You can also use appropriately sized metal hose clamps to get a good grip on the baffles to get them free.

I presume we wipe the WD-40 and residue off after we've sprayed it on? I do, but I'm conscious the instructions never mention that part.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    I presume we wipe the WD-40 and residue off after we've sprayed it on? I do, but I'm conscious the instructions never mention that part.
    Initially I didn't bother wiping it off, but I do now as I figured then I was actually removing the carbon from the suppressor.
    I clean my DPT after every use (if I fire a shot), and leave it in bits until the night before a hunting trip.

To be honest, I don't bother.
    I've pulled them apart a few times thinking I better clean it and never found anything that I think would require cleaning. Spraying it with WD40 just seems to be an unnecessary mess that i don't need.
    I've got 6 Suppressors, 5 DPT and one gunworks. The only one I occasionally clean is the DPT on the .22lr cause .22s are filthy creatures.
    I even suspect DPT puts cleaning instructions on their website because if they didn't people would constantly ask, even if they said you don't need to.

One of the DPT suppressors has done at least a thousand rounds of .308 out of a 16" barrel and it's none the worse for wear inside other than a small amount of erosion on the first baffle, a long way from needing replacement though (similarly why I think the stainless steel baffles, are just added weight for a potential problem worried about far more than experienced).

As a note though, definitely never leave the suppressor on the rifles for longer than necessary, it's a great way to get a rusty crown.
    Last edited by Makros; 20-01-2023 at 02:10 PM.
    GSP HUNTER, tetawa, erniec and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    The stainless steel baffles, are just added weight for a potential problem worried about far more than experienced)
    I have to disagree here. Short .243 had annihilated first baffle in less than a box. DPT were GCs about it though.
    dogmatix, Micky Duck and Maxx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I have to disagree here. Short .243 had annihilated first baffle in less than a box. DPT were GCs about it though.
    Pray tell us more. Sounds like you had a volcano not a rifle barrel. If it was doing that to your baffle what is the barrel like? ?

Browning Ab3. Shortened by DPT to about 16" irc, muzzle threading and crown top notch. Was shooting factory Winchester ammo. Shoots awesome but yeah it a bit of a flame thrower unsuppressed. After putting the steel baffle on and shooting maybe another 100-120 through it the steel baffle still looks like new

Browning Ab3. Shortened by DPT to about 16" irc, muzzle threading and crown top notch. Was shooting factory Winchester ammo. Shoots awesome but yeah it a bit of a flame thrower unsuppressed. After putting the steel baffle on and shooting maybe another 100-120 through it the steel baffle still looks like new
    Interesting. In one box of ammo you melted a baffle? Sounds odd.

Have to admit I have 3 x centrefire DPTs and one is now seized up tight. Use it on my 18 inch 7 08 and a 223. Never cleaned it and never will. Must have had a minimum of 1500-2000 rounds through it. Still works fine.

Use one my 7 saum. Missed a deer last night at 600 yards in the ruahines. Operator error!��
    caberslash likes this.

Stainless baffle from my 223, several thousand rounds through it quite a lot with an AR on pest control. The duralum baffle was pretty munted after a couple of hundred but it was being shot at well in excess of the recommended hourly rate. The SS baffle didn't add any noticeable weight.
    Cleaning regime is blast of wd40 or CRC long life in each end the second photo is of the only baffle in the stack 2 above the SS one that can be removed without jubilee clips and stilsons.
    Looking at it I think I need to do a little decarbonization.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Agreed. My 20 7/8" Sako 270 was very tough on the alloy baffles, with the first baffle having blast etching.
    The stainless one fixed the issue
    Welcome to Sako club.

Jeepers, 20 rounds? I have ditched the stainless baffles because of the extra weight saved too. Shortened rem mag, SAUM, 260 all going fine on the alloy baffle. I treat it as an expendable, save weight on the hill and only costs about $40 to replace when the time comes. That time hasn’t come yet.
    25/08 IMP likes this.

A very big box, perhaps?