Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: dpt suppressor cleaning

Nope precisely 18 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    To be honest, I don't bother.
    I've pulled them apart a few times thinking I better clean it and never found anything that I think would require cleaning. Spraying it with WD40 just seems to be an unnecessary mess that i don't need.
    I've got 6 Suppressors, 5 DPT and one gunworks. The only one I occasionally clean is the DPT on the .22lr cause .22s are filthy creatures.
    I even suspect DPT puts cleaning instructions on their website because if they didn't people would constantly ask, even if they said you don't need to.

One of the DPT suppressors has done at least a thousand rounds of .308 out of a 16" barrel and it's none the worse for wear inside other than a small amount of erosion on the first baffle, a long way from needing replacement though (similarly why I think the stainless steel baffles, are just added weight for a potential problem worried about far more than experienced).

As a note though, definitely never leave the suppressor on the rifles for longer than necessary, it's a great way to get a rusty crown.
    This

I've several gunworks suppressors that have had possibly three sprays of wd40 in 20 years. Still function as they did on day 1.

I also have several DPT's.

They do appear to be slightly more prone to wear. My experience only.
    BRADS likes this.

Also I would like to point out I am not shitting on the DPT. Infact they are the only suppressors I use now. Just that the negligible weight increase by having the steel baffle is what I prefer. I might add it was only the first one that got hammered. The next in line wiped clean with a paper towel just fine.

As mentioned in other threads here and on the old FnH.
    Most suppressor designs are a compromise between weight, cost, noise suppression and strength.
    Not everyone can afford the ultra lightweight and strong ODL cans.
    No one liked carrying around a MAE/Reflex solid steel can for long hikes either.
    An alloy one 'just strong enough' and easy on the bank balance is a good compromise. Which most NZ designs are these days.
    stagstalker and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.