Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Drillings/combination guns

If you've got the money anything is possible

If you don't want to sell a kidney and your firstborn, then you're probably best off finding a Cape Gun (O/U or SxS) in a large rifle caliber for one barrel and shotgun on the other, then getting a krieghoff einstecklauf insert in a small game caliber that locks into the shotgun barrel. The einstecklauf inserts are incredible accurate and can be regulated to aim with your rifle sights at a set distance. They also lock into the chamber with a little key and have a built in extractor that is controlled by the shotgun barrel extractor/ejector. They're usually in .22, .22WMR but they are around in other cartridges as well.

Probably for your purposes a CZ over/under in 12 gauge/7x57 or 308 is the best bet. They can be had relatively cheaply, especially if you import one, and you won't die inside when it gets scratched or bumped like you would with a Drilling.
    Only thing I don't like is that most Drillings and Cape guns aren't all that easy to take apart, and somehow I attract rain on my hunts, so you now have an expensive gun that spends a week soaking wet.... no good in my books.

I've also been trying to sort out DOC's position on this, and when I can find people who can understand the question it's "If you don't have rimfire/shotgun ammo with you at the time, then you're not shooting a shotgun/rimfire". They may try to come after you, but it would be a difficult argument to make that you were hunting with a rimfire/shotgun without any ammo for it.
    Moa Hunter, Frodo and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    No point in asking DoC - they have no bloody idea! My mate went through this using a 7x57/12g, hunted with it a bit on Public Conservation Land, got spoken to on a couple of occasions by a very enthusiastic DoC dickhead, told he wasn't allowed to use it. He went straight back to Plod, asked him, he said it is classed as a rifle [centrefire] so therefore can be used anywhere it is legal to use a rifle, just because it has a 12g barrel attached to it, does not make it a shotgun. And if a DoC person, for want of a better term, approached you, Im pretty sure they would have no bloody idea what you were holding in your hand. They certainly cant take it off you, they dont have the jurisdiction, it needs to be Plod. They certainly dont have the right to touch it or look at it cos they may not have a firearms license. And if you have no shotgun ammo in it, they cant do anything.

more to the point as I understand as long as you aren't carrying any 12g ammo then it's ok (if you are carrying 12g ammo then obviously the implication is there is likely the intent to use it), then again if you are out during waterfowl season and hold a F & G license then maybe you could justify it....
    Frodo likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    If you've got the money anything is possible

If you don't want to sell a kidney and your firstborn, then you're probably best off finding a Cape Gun (O/U or SxS) in a large rifle caliber for one barrel and shotgun on the other, then getting a krieghoff einstecklauf insert in a small game caliber that locks into the shotgun barrel. The einstecklauf inserts are incredible accurate and can be regulated to aim with your rifle sights at a set distance. They also lock into the chamber with a little key and have a built in extractor that is controlled by the shotgun barrel extractor/ejector. They're usually in .22, .22WMR but they are around in other cartridges as well.

Probably for your purposes a CZ over/under in 12 gauge/7x57 or 308 is the best bet. They can be had relatively cheaply, especially if you import one, and you won't die inside when it gets scratched or bumped like you would with a Drilling.
    Only thing I don't like is that most Drillings and Cape guns aren't all that easy to take apart, and somehow I attract rain on my hunts, so you now have an expensive gun that spends a week soaking wet.... no good in my books.

I've also been trying to sort out DOC's position on this, and when I can find people who can understand the question it's "If you don't have rimfire/shotgun ammo with you at the time, then you're not shooting a shotgun/rimfire". They may try to come after you, but it would be a difficult argument to make that you were hunting with a rimfire/shotgun without any ammo for it.
    Wow! @canross So you could own a SXS shotgun, and with those einstecklauf inserts, turn it into a double barrelled centerfire (in whatever calibre(s) you desire)? And come duck season, you remove the inserts...and voila? Seems too good to be true.

Only issue with those traditional drillings/cape guns is the soldered barrels. Regulation involves either messing with the load, or having to resolder the barrels. Whereas the modern drillings by the likes of Blaser have their barrels held together in a clamp-type system with adjustable screws. So as far as I understand, the positions of the barrels are user adjustable, and this negates the need to mess with loads etc.

Re: rain/harsh hunting conditions...I've only got experience with bolt guns (which are a piece of cake to rip apart at the end of the day and do maintenance on). I've always wondered how kipplauf style singleshots and double rifles/drillings fair in inclement weather. I know you can break them apart (take the fore end off, and seperate the action from the barrel), but what if water gets into the hinge release mechanism or soaks onto the stock between the metal/wood?

My main priority is having a versatile firearm/calibre for pinging small game in addition to large game. I'm not exactly fixated on drillings, but I like how they offer you the flexibility of multiple cartridges.

In a perfect world, it would be legal to take a small take-down .22 LR or shotgun on public land, but that's too convenient. Not worth risking losing your license over.

Just buy a 223. Shoot big stags, shoot bunnies. Dont have to walk about with a rifle that looks like some kind of chinese puzzle.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I recieved a reply from DOC regarding combination guns:

"Thank you for your enquiry.

I use to own a BRNO 12ga / 7 x 75R combination rifle that I regularly used for hunting on Public Lands.

Apart from ensuring I had a hunting permit, also did not carry any shotgun cartridges when on public lands. Just 7 x 75R ammunition.

If approached by a Ranger I was prepared to demonstrate that I did not have any shotgun ammunition with me and could not use the shotgun part of the combination rifle when hunting on Public Lands.

Hope this answers your question and happy hunting"
    Last edited by Frodo; 08-06-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    I think Baikal were doing moden o/u with combinations of CF-CF and CF-RF amd CF-shotgun
    I have one in 7x57R over 12G fun to use,00 in the 12G for tight stuff snap shot,7mm for longer stuff.Also being a Baikal handy if your truck shits an axle.

so if you had a .12ga barrel and another of a useful centrefire.....you COULD put a barrel insert in the other....in a centrefire of some sort......anything from .45/70 down to say .45apc and be legal ASLONG as its more than .222remington to comply with DOC minimum calibre levels.... the .45 long colt with say a 12'' rifled barrel would be very useful....it would be great for finishing shots,hares,possums close goats etc.
    Frodo likes this.

Two different calibers will shoot to different impact point,have two different trajectories and be a giant pain in the arse.

Drilling/combination guns are a way of getting "two guns in one" for organised driven European Hunts.The Rifle might be used for shots just out of shotgun range,not shooting Deer at 100m.

They arnt designed to be carried far,they are bloody heavy.

My advise would be to get a decent used rifle fitted with a custom stock and practice untill you can hit running rabbits using open sights.
    Moa Hunter and Frodo like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Name:  20200607_143102-K600.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  600.1 KB

Name:  20191120_184845-K600.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  601.1 KB

Name:  96K Rooster.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  7.07 MB

They aren't that heavy. DOC give out small game permits if asked, and rumor has it that there is more than one path to enlightenment, or way to skin a cat, or something.
    rugerman, Micky Duck, MB and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Attachment 142069

Attachment 142070

Attachment 142071

They aren't that heavy. DOC give out small game permits if asked, and rumor has it that there is more than one path to enlightenment, or way to skin a cat, or something.
    And even better this one is "Links Schaft " and modern

Two Rifle barrels,shotgun barrel and a scope makes for å heavy gun.
    Shamus_ likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Two Rifle barrels,shotgun barrel and a scope makes for å heavy gun.
    @norsk Sure does

That long 300m carry to the tree stand and nose bleeding climb to your seat is as hard as it gets.

Being kiwis we want to re purpose something for our hunting that evolved for an entirely different purpose.
    That's also why they have scopes with enormous objective lenses to pick up the very last light or to shoot fox over the snow in darkness.

I'm grappling with the challenge of keeping the weight of my 45-70 double rifle build down to whats still a practical weight to carry all day.
    That's why the barrels have reasonably big holes in them !

On benefit with the drilling layout that does keep weight down a little is that the double shotgun barrels ( usually 16 gauge ) mean that the single rifle barrel underneath can actually be drinking straw thin

years ago I saw article in???rod n rifle guy had a bruno U/Owith two sets of barrels...1 of 12ga and other in .45/70 the idea has always apealed.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Two different calibers will shoot to different impact point,have two different trajectories and be a giant pain in the arse.

Drilling/combination guns are a way of getting "two guns in one" for organised driven European Hunts.The Rifle might be used for shots just out of shotgun range,not shooting Deer at 100m.

They arnt designed to be carried far,they are bloody heavy.

My advise would be to get a decent used rifle fitted with a custom stock and practice untill you can hit running rabbits using open sights.

I'm no longer pursuing the idea of combo gun. Just more trouble than it's worth.

The trajectory thing is a valid point to consider.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Frodo; 09-06-2020 at 06:56 PM.

MSL

Drillings/combination guns

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I'm no longer pursuing the idea of combo gun. Just more trouble than it's worth.

The trajectory thing is a valid point to consider.

Cheers.
    I think you should keep pursuing the idea, surely someone makes/made a combo gun with half a dozen different barrels to cover all bases. 22lr, .223, 7x57r, 7x65r, 12ga, 410ga, perfect combo in one handy package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MSL; 09-06-2020 at 08:57 PM.
    Frodo likes this.