Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Dual purpose scopes

Am looking forward to delivery of a 3-15*50 Delta Titanium from @Sarvo soon
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Checked out a Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 CDS today just for a reference, nice scope and size wise was pretty good I thought. Low power mag was good, nice glass. I think I'll be looking into a 3-15/18 at this stage, as pointed out that lower mag is going to help me out in the bush and will have enough top end for the range on long shots. I'll see what I can stretch the budget out to, if I can pull off a new/second hand FFP I will go that route, otherwise there are some super sweet SFP scopes in that price range which look nice and will help me see a bit more of the recital in the sticks on lower mag also... Time to get my geek on.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Am looking forward to delivery of a 3-15*50 Delta Titanium from @Sarvo soon

2.5-15x50 Titanium

PS
    Woody was going to go for the Delta Titanium 1.5-9x45
    Can you explain why you did not @Woody

Reason I ask as it does have a good point that in Woddy's case was not going to work

Quote Originally Posted by Remmodel7 View Post
    I think magnification is a bit like horse power. Always nice to have a bit in reserve even if you don't always need it.
    I see delta do a 5-50x56. Should suit the little rascal.22 nicely
    Most do for the 4.5-30x56 Javelin Delta
    Price more suited to .22 :-) (not meaning to be racial :-)

$1890 which is amazing price for waht you get
    Richard Utting in the UK was blown away buy this scope - for its $$ (or in his case Pounds)

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    What I like about mine is that its not a long 'scope so the weight seems to sit nicely between my hands. Damn good 'scope.
    Agree with you on that and dam good glass too.
    I love the 24x cause as your eyes get older they seem to get weaker like the rest of your body.
    12x used to be plenty 10 years ago

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    keneff likes this.

The reason I did'nt go for the 1.5-9* 45 was simply it did not fit my mount lengths; otherwise I think it would have provided great brightness and adequate magnification range as well as being light. That 2.5-15*50 is going to be awesome I think.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    The reason I did'nt go for the 1.5-9* 45 was simply it did not fit my mount lengths; otherwise I think it would have provided great brightness and adequate magnification range as well as being light. That 2.5-15*50 is going to be awesome I think.
    Woody's rifle is a S&L Classic (I have exact same in 6.55) with special receiving base that limits separation of each Ring and the 1.5-9x45 is a compact scope limiting the tube shaft front and back
    But no problem with most other Base setups

1.5-9 looks interesting .
    I assume the third turret is for brightness of the reticle ?
    How much $$$$
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    1.5-9 looks interesting .
    I assume the third turret is for brightness of the reticle ?
    How much $$$$
    Yes - I am a little surprised that this scope has not gained more attention
    To me - I think its the perfect low-land hunting scope for NZ

I would like the price to be 2-300 lower - but HD glass from LOW in Japan does not come cheap (ask Nightforce and the likes :-)

Answers
    Yes - illumination adjustment dial
    Price - $1790 (but I can tweak a touch if the boss not watching ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Woody's rifle is a S&L Classic (I have exact same in 6.55) with special receiving base that limits separation of each Ring and the 1.5-9x45 is a compact scope limiting the tube shaft front and back
    But no problem with most other Base setups

I just put ordinary mounting blocks on my S&L to get around that problem.

I went with a Bushnell trophy extreme 2.5 -15 × 50. Nothing wrong with the quality good in the bush deer out to close to 500m and gongs out to 1km. Weight with rings 835grams. Ruger predator in 6.5cm. A little bit heavier than mates rifle but not too bad. Looked through other scopes but seen nothing that makes me want to change. Price under $800.00 with lifetime guarantee. Weight with suppressor about 3.65kg
    Bagheera and 25 /08 IMP like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I just put ordinary mounting blocks on my S&L to get around that problem.
    Scope dimensions are differenet on the 1.5-9 x 50 ( just a tad shorter in the tube from front bell to turret and turret to mag dial)

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    High magnification ( over 18 power ) isn’t necessary for hunting or targets in my opinion.
    I know that’s not a widely held belief in this modern world , but I believe it’s true .
    None of my hunting rifles have over 12 power, and my only target scope is maxed out at 18 .
    I’m happy to shoot at targets with my 6.5 Creedmoor as far as it can go with 18 power and often 18 is to high in regards to mirage / climatic conditions .
    People need to spend more time watching the wind , and less time watching YouTube .
    Depends what target shooting you are doing.
    99% of the time 18x is more than enough magnification, often in field shoot/PRS event's you'll use 8-12x most of the time anyway but there is the odd occasion having a bit more magnification is handy.

For the OPs intended use a 3-18 is about perfect but were he going for dedicated long range/target rifle there is little reason to not go higher magnification.
    Shot Bro likes this.

Yes, I did this about 10 years ago, too.

If it's your Go To hunting rifle then you need to prioritise hunting features. ie brand quality, ruggedness, easy to see reticle.

For some daft reason, there were no mid price mil click/mil reticle FFP scopes available then but fortunately I wasn't limited to $1500 and I got a 3-12x50 PM II. It has been a great scope for go to 7mm08 hunting and GPRE field target shooting. The 5-20 ultra compact is virtually the same dimensions and I think would be ideal for tahr hunting but perhaps not so "Go To" for all roundering. If your eyes are young (less than 30 years old) you should be OK without focus (parallax) adjustment and could look at the S&B Klassik 3-12x50 with P3 reticle (FFP & mil dots); I think they are about $2000.

For hunting up to 300m and targets to 700m 12x is plenty, even with dodgy eyes. If you are shooting at multiple targets with time limit, then 8x is better than 12x. Using a 25x S&B or Vortex Razor gives considerably better precision but is very expensive in $$$ and weight is measured in kg not ounces. Only really needed for high level competition or 1000m. Windage adjustment isn't essential but FFP makes shooting a lot easier. Typically windage holds at 500m can be 1-2 mil which would be difficult with SFP. A MOA click/MOA hash reticle would be fine and easier to obtain in an American brand like Leupold, Bushnell or Weaver.

A good condition second hand scope is worth looking at. The Weaver SuperSlam was well thought of a few years ago. If your budget doesn't run to a new Leupold VX5 HD then look at the older 4.5-14 Vx3i or its successor VX3HD or the Swaro Z5 3.5-18 (not so rugged but light and very classy). 4.5x low end is good for hunting if you have the stock set up well for your own face. Modest features in a quality scope will outmatch high spec numbers in a budget build.

No matter how much you spend, you'll need to compromise in some areas. There's some good advice earlier in this thread that will help you make your own choice.

Interesting that people say that the Swaro Z5 isn't rugged. Has anyone had one let them down?
    I have a couple and they get plenty of use and the day to day knocks and are just fine. Hold their zero very well and track well.