Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Dud Hornady Die?

if, at the top of the stroke you are trying to drive the expander ball thru the bottom of the case, it will require a lot of force.
    i use that exact set on 2 long range target rifles, myself and my daughter have shot in competition out to beyond 1100 yards. with ammo madeusing that dieset, chambered in 6.5x55.
    if they were no good, i recon i would have worked it out by now.

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by greghud View Post
    if, at the top of the stroke you are trying to drive the expander ball thru the bottom of the case, it will require a lot of force.
    i use that exact set on 2 long range target rifles, myself and my daughter have shot in competition out to beyond 1100 yards. with ammo madeusing that dieset, chambered in 6.5x55.
    if they were no good, i recon i would have worked it out by now.
    ok. interesting it pulled the spindle out then, not pushed it up and hasn’t been set any deeper than other dies i use. may it is just a dud. out it goes...

when it bent sideways the pin poking thru the flash hole would have acted like a hook and then pulled the spindle out.
    LOC likes this.

Why would the pin bend like that? Only reason I can come up with is thet it was initally not aligned with the flash hole and bore down on the web. I have found that with dies with a double locknut on the spindle unless both are nipped up tight can easily be pushed off center.

if the spindle and depriming pin were misaligned, the pin would have hit the web and broke off, it is hardened steel.
    if the spindle were aligned corectly, but protruding to far, the pin would have pushed out the old primer. then, as the brass is rammed further into the die the expander ball would have contacted the web. having nowhere to go, the spindle would have to either bend or push thru the web of the case. it will bend at the weakest point, that being where the spindle tapers down to the thin section where the expander ball is threaded on.
    you will find the expander ball and depriming pin will be fine but the spindle will be bent at the top of the tapered section a new spindle will fix the problem. then set the depriming pin to protrude just far enough to push out the primer at the top of the stroke.
    greg
    Kiwi Greg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    ok. interesting it pulled the spindle out then, not pushed it up and hasn’t been set any deeper than other dies i use. may it is just a dud. out it goes...
    if you are going to throw it out, i will have it. happy to pay post. let me know

LOC
    pm me your address and i’ll send it on down.