Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: From E-Cat to A-Cat?

I once started a pro-active thread asking what changes people think should be made to the Arms Act, all I got was a bunch of wound up people thinking I was trying to get their guns taken off of them.

I'd be quite happy for the system to stay the way it is RIGHT NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post

That'd be pretty reasonable to me too.

However, there are some changes I would like to be made if possible:

-Reduce max legal OAL requirements to say 500mm or something
    -Increase vetting and security requirements for A cat
    -Increase training/education requirements for A cat
    -Scrap E cat system
    -Remove 100mm barrel length restriction from B cat (Seriously, what the hell?)

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Same,

- Add in >10 capacity mags to the restricted list.
    - Some kind of practical course to get licence and more/on going checks to make sure people are 'fit &proper'.
    - Allow C-Cat weapons to be used at certified ranges on certain days.
    - All A cat storage requirements be the same as E requirements.

I think we have it pretty good in this country but there are some obvious loop holes that could be closed without affecting any law abiding people.

I'd like it to stay the way it is, but I'll change this this this and that.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Same,

- Add in >10 capacity mags to the restricted list.
    - Some kind of practical course to get licence and more/on going checks to make sure people are 'fit &proper'.
    - Allow C-Cat weapons to be used at certified ranges on certain days.
    - All A cat storage requirements be the same as E requirements.

I think we have it pretty good in this country but there are some obvious loop holes that could be closed without affecting any law abiding people.
    I don't think it's really workable to restrict mags to E only, also eg AR mags work in a variety of Mossberg bolt actions, Remington 7615 etc

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I'd like it to stay the way it is, but I'll change this this this and that.
    At worst I want no more pointless erosion of our freedoms based on fear + lack of understanding.

At best I want what I listed.

I'm ok with laws that make sense, but it does my fucking head in when some things are dumb or come across as being vindictive, while doing nothing for public safety. Case in point being the crap E cat holders have to go through to import stuff.

- B & E cat the same thing, can shoot them off range, create an SBR class so you can have short AR's, semi auto sub guns etc on your endorsement

- Make it easy to import stuff you can legally own, no silly hoops and special reasons.

Yea I'd be happy with that

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    At worst I want no more pointless erosion of our freedoms based on fear + lack of understanding.
    almost need to have a NZ gun show reality tv program lol, which shows proper gun safety etc in practice, i say reality show, cos want non gun ppl to watch it too.
    The GC with guns lol, however i dont think those ppl would fall into the fit and proper persons category. (never watched GC just know is a reality show)

my sister in law is anti gun, and she admits it is cos she has no idea about them, and has no interest in learning. just thinks they are evil and no one should have one, and no one has a need for one. those are the sort of ppl that it is difficult to get to.

Hot Shots on NBC reality tv show with Jerry Miculek KC Eusebio, Max Michel etc.

not all reality shows are stupid, just the ones on NZ tv haha

would love to me able to watch that Hot Shots, however cannot find any source anywhere, except the small snippets on youtube etc, which just make me want to watch it more.

Videos - Hot Shots

Some good ideas in this thread, particularly agree that the minimum storage requirements need to be reviewed. Firearms should be stored in a steel safe.

I also was really surprised to see that there's no form of competency test as part of the FAL process. I.e. knowing and being to demonstrate how to safely handle, operate and store a firearm(s).

One doesn't get a driver licence for a vehicle without learning how to drive and control it and demonstrating that one can do so safely.

Apart from that - the current system is pretty good. "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".

Baz
    Some good points raised.

Shooting in the 3 gun matches my club runs, does make a mockery of the E cat rules, with A cat shotgun tubes holding 12 rounds etc. Everyone has a 30rnd AR mag.... The club is now looking from the outside in and are heading along the lines of enforcing the E Cat rules and the illegal A cat firearms.

My question now is, how do we get our A cat firearms to be E cat registered? I have asked and get told 'its not a simple process'. Can someone enlighten me?

Is it as simple as paying large sums to purchase a registered E cat firearm to continue shooting 3 gun? not many will be able to do this, what future is there for this sport if so?

What difference does it make if there are more MSSA's registered on the system? The person registering the firearm will still need to be E endorsed and meet the E cat requirments??

My 2 cents

Scrap E, it's worthless banning based on fear of cosmetic features and does not have any benefit
    Ryan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Some good points raised.

Shooting in the 3 gun matches my club runs, does make a mockery of the E cat rules, with A cat shotgun tubes holding 12 rounds etc. Everyone has a 30rnd AR mag.... The club is now looking from the outside in and are heading along the lines of enforcing the E Cat rules and the illegal A cat firearms.

My question now is, how do we get our A cat firearms to be E cat registered? I have asked and get told 'its not a simple process'. Can someone enlighten me?Is it as simple as paying large sums to purchase a registered E cat firearm to continue shooting 3 gun? not many will be able to do this, what future is there for this sport if so?

What difference does it make if there are more MSSA's registered on the system? The person registering the firearm will still need to be E endorsed and meet the E cat requirments??

My 2 cents
    Just wait till June. Then your A-Cat AR will be an E-Cat!
    Welcome to Sako club.

Wonder what that will make my A-cat ones that I have import permits for.