Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Finally, Bergara single shot 9mm!!

Finally, Bergara single shot 9mm!!

After years of talking to different dealers, and the importer, I thought we'd never see these here. They're made in small batches for the Aussie market normally. I decided to email NZAsia(the Bergara agent) one last time, breaking down all the reasons I believe they'll be popular, which were
    -Cheapest centrefire round to shoot
    -Easily made subsonic
    -Crazy cheap to reload
    -Perfect backpack calibre/rifle for rabbits, hare, goats, possums, even small deer
    -Also a super fun round to plink with, all the bang/whack of a centrefire, without the recoil or hole in the wallet.

This time, they said they will ask around gun shops for any interest, as they'd have to order 30 of them. Well, I can finally say, THEY'VE BEEN ORDERED!!! 28 of them are going to Gun City(unfortunately) and two are going to a small town dealer, one for the owner and one for myself!! They're being shipped out late October, so hopefully we'll see them start of next year!
    Yes I know it's not getting ARs or anything back, but I've never been so excited for a gun to arrive!!

that would be a fun wallaby carry rifle too.....
    Jamesyd likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    Great guns. I think you'll like it.
    Jamesyd likes this.

Are they threaded

Quote Originally Posted by deye223 View Post
    Are they threaded
    I'm waiting for confirmation on that, but I believe they will be
    deye223 likes this.

AR7
    Hi All what is the barrel twist rate can you reveal with my experimenting makes a big difference on weight of pills vs good MOA
    FSS Made one out of a New England Handi break action fast twist that likes the 169 RN the best
    cheers
    Fssprecision likes this.

MB
    Forget to say, check the rail when you get it. Some are a little loose or become loose over time. The first thing I did with mine was a little Loctite treatment. A minor annoyance that is easily put right.

199p and Micky Duck like this.

9mm is cool and I'd buy one.

But I'd love to see a single shot 10mm Auto.

Wee 14.5" barrel pushing 165gr hollow points.

Now that would have some snot for sub 100y bush hunting

AR7
    HAHAA I went looking for specs on the above BA-13 in 9MM
    the ones i found were threaded
    1:10 Twist rate so should handle the lighter rounds O K
    I found the Bergara,s a tad heavy like the New England Handi especially compared to the light weight Rossi Monty

Have had an email this morning, they will be
    1:10" twist
    5/8x24 thread
    18" stainless barrel
    Open sights and rail
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesyd View Post
    After years of talking to different dealers, and the importer, I thought we'd never see these here. They're made in small batches for the Aussie market normally. I decided to email NZAsia(the Bergara agent) one last time, breaking down all the reasons I believe they'll be popular, which were
    -Cheapest centrefire round to shoot
    -Easily made subsonic
    -Crazy cheap to reload
    -Perfect backpack calibre/rifle for rabbits, hare, goats, possums, even small deer
    -Also a super fun round to plink with, all the bang/whack of a centrefire, without the recoil or hole in the wallet.

This time, they said they will ask around gun shops for any interest, as they'd have to order 30 of them. Well, I can finally say, THEY'VE BEEN ORDERED!!! 28 of them are going to Gun City(unfortunately) and two are going to a small town dealer, one for the owner and one for myself!! They're being shipped out late October, so hopefully we'll see them start of next year!
    Yes I know it's not getting ARs or anything back, but I've never been so excited for a gun to arrive!!
    okay now you experts what is better- this or a .22 magnum - really

interesting you ask Barry
    the way I see it....
    this will be legal on DOC controlled estate...
    this will poke bigger hole all be it without huge amount of energy
    for a packing down,casual walking rifle for the occasional single wallaby or goat at close range it should be fine.
    it wont/shouldnt do anything you cant already do with a .357mag ...single shot rifle.... same niche,same limitations but arguably much easier/cheaper to reload
    will be/should be really easy to get very fragile projectiles to break up inside soft tissue...actually the 357 should be the same.
    your comparison is SIMILAR to 7.62x39mm Vs 223 except the humble 22 mag is not allowed on DOC controlled land.
    will see if can find energy figures...
    Jamesyd and Barry the hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    interesting you ask Barry
    the way I see it....
    this will be legal on DOC controlled estate...
    this will poke bigger hole all be it without huge amount of energy
    for a packing down,casual walking rifle for the occasional single wallaby or goat at close range it should be fine.
    it wont/shouldnt do anything you cant already do with a .357mag ...single shot rifle.... same niche,same limitations but arguably much easier/cheaper to reload
    will be/should be really easy to get very fragile projectiles to break up inside soft tissue...actually the 357 should be the same.
    your comparison is SIMILAR to 7.62x39mm Vs 223 except the humble 22 mag is not allowed on DOC controlled land.
    will see if can find energy figures...
    thanks Mickey Duck for your reply

400-500ftlbs energy a 105-125grn projectile doing 13-1500fps depending on load.......for the 9mm
    a 40grn .224 hornet is same at muzzle if we use muzzle velocity of 2300-2400fps
    I dont have trajectory chart for the 9mm...or near cousin the 357/38s but given longer barrel in single shot rifle,one could possibly also assume much stronger action than cylinder or auto with slide so will possibly run the p+p loads????
    25-50 yards and soft light game it should do just fine n dandy AS LONG as folks use within limitations.
    the humble trebly has twice the ftlbs at muzzle but less than half the projectile weight.
    Jhon likes this.

Well for what it's worth out of a 4" barrel using 4.2gr titegroup I get 1115fps out of my Austrian hand piece on the range.

Surely one could do ++P loads.

I've used the 9mm inserts in a 20Ga single shot and they work emphatically on possums at 70y..
    A ++P load out of a carbine length would make deer shudder at sub 100y surely.

Push a 90gr XTP at +1600 fps and you're entering some very interesting territory indeed
    Tommy and Micky Duck like this.