Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Finally, Bergara single shot 9mm!!

The other thing to consider which is a big one to consider.

Is to ream the chamber to 38 Super.

Albeit less the brass availability and cost of 9mm.

A 38 super carbine would be plain cool and it would have plenty of snot for hunting
    Makros and rupert like this.

oh maaaan ,back to wiki for specs I shall have to go.
    I know the 38 special..a lesser .357 magnum but never heard of the 38 super....357 maximum is another in there a longer case.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    oh maaaan ,back to wiki for specs I shall have to go.
    I know the 38 special..a lesser .357 magnum but never heard of the 38 super....357 maximum is another in there a longer case.
    Think of 38 super like the difference between 38 special and 357 mag Micky Duck.

On any given day a 38 super will give around 200+ fps on a standard 9mm using the same projectile.

38 super is the go to round for IPSC open shooters.

So reaming out a barrel from 9mm to 38 super would be no different to reaming a 7mm08 to 284win or a 308 to a 30 06

or a 38 special to 357 mag...or a 38special or a 357 mag to the 357 maximum

or the 45/70 to 45/90 or 45/110 LOL.... case head is the same the case body is longer.

had a look on wiki..... yeah the 357 maximum still looks the pick of the bunch for hunting application.... just as well Im happy with the wee trebly,could be come a very expensive rifle if you bought one to rechamber.

On the one hand, I would love a 9mm carbine of any sort as that's a already in my calibre footprint, but at the same time, what will it do that a Bergara single shot in .357 magnum won't? There are even takedown lever-actions in .357, which you have the option of loading with .38 subs. What I would like to see is a 9mm lever action that takes detachable mags, I feel like I've seem them available in the States but both the price and quality made them less appealing.
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    On the one hand, I would love a 9mm carbine of any sort as that's a already in my calibre footprint, but at the same time, what will it do that a Bergara single shot in .357 magnum won't?
    Not a lot. But the ammo is significantly cheaper to buy. Plus smaller and lighter so you can pack more of it into a pocket.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

400-500ftlbs energy a 105-125grn projectile doing 13-1500fps depending on load.......for the 9mm
    a 40grn .224 hornet is same at muzzle if we use muzzle velocity of 2300-2400fps
    I dont have trajectory chart for the 9mm...or near cousin the 357/38s but given longer barrel in single shot rifle,one could possibly also assume much stronger action than cylinder or auto with slide so will possibly run the p+p loads????
    25-50 yards and soft light game it should do just fine n dandy AS LONG as folks use within limitations.
    the humble trebly has twice the ftlbs at muzzle but less than half the projectile weight.
    And apart from the novelty and compatibility with what you shoot off your hip factors, I'm wondering about the ballistic advantage over say hot 158gn 38sp out of a Rossi 92 lever gun. I was all in love with my Ruger PCC in 9mm until it got taken off me, but a single shot?. Mmmm...each to their own I guess
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

def want one anyone know the price
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    def want one anyone know the price
    Haven't been told a price, but I'd assume would be similar to their normal calibre prices ($1000-1200)
    199p likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    On the one hand, I would love a 9mm carbine of any sort as that's a already in my calibre footprint, but at the same time, what will it do that a Bergara single shot in .357 magnum won't? There are even takedown lever-actions in .357, which you have the option of loading with .38 subs. What I would like to see is a 9mm lever action that takes detachable mags, I feel like I've seem them available in the States but both the price and quality made them less appealing.
    Grant from Tactical Imports was about to bring in one, a tactical looking 9mm lever gun with it's own proprietary mags, but they've just been denied for unknown reasons. As far as I could tell, everything about it was legal

400-500ftlbs energy a 105-125grn projectile doing 13-1500fps depending on load.......for the 9mm
    a 40grn .224 hornet is same at muzzle if we use muzzle velocity of 2300-2400fps
    I dont have trajectory chart for the 9mm...or near cousin the 357/38s but given longer barrel in single shot rifle,one could possibly also assume much stronger action than cylinder or auto with slide so will possibly run the p+p loads????
    25-50 yards and soft light game it should do just fine n dandy AS LONG as folks use within limitations.
    the humble trebly has twice the ftlbs at muzzle but less than half the projectile weight.
    190gr subx is 440 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle as another similar comparison (1000fps)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nil
    Any idea when these may be expected in NZ and what stores will have them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesyd View Post
    Grant from Tactical Imports was about to bring in one, a tactical looking 9mm lever gun with it's own proprietary mags, but they've just been denied for unknown reasons. As far as I could tell, everything about it was legal
    Not correct. There is/was one on TM, but they want $5000 for it which is nuts. Called the Tombstone.
    Carbine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    Not correct. There is/was one on TM, but they want $5000 for it which is nuts. Called the Tombstone.
    It was correct, but he argued their decision and got permission to bring them in. He had the same issue with the straight pull AR he had made, he's currently arguing that decision aswell
    Got-ya likes this.