Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Firearms Protest Events December 6th and 7th

@Russian 22. Sorry mate for being a bit rash. I had put that opinion elsewhere and got told "you're a fudd"
    So I was way too defensive. Sorry about that.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    He's not at all happy about it. His priority though has to lie with the Defence Force and seeing the $20 billion upgrade plan put in place. I can understand that.
    Yeah, nah. Someone who won't stand for something will stand for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by coltace View Post
    @Russian 22. Sorry mate for being a bit rash. I had put that opinion elsewhere and got told "you're a fudd"
    So I was way too defensive. Sorry about that.
    You are right though, the media is going to have a field day, especially if they see that then someone bringing in shotgun stocks designed to make the USAs favorite pastime at schools easier.

From your perspective Mr K, is the Kiwi media ever not ever having a field day anti-LFAOs?

And I see you repeating the tired old meme that 'USA's favourite pastime is shotgunning children'.

Getting acquainted with the facts may change minds.

- The majority of gun deaths in the US by suicide (close to 2/3) - I know, doesn't fit the narrative.

- The gun murder and gun suicide rates in the U.S. are both lower today than in the mid-1970s - again doesn't fit the narrative.

- The gun death rate in the U.S. is much higher than in most other nations - but for example it is still far below the rates in several Latin American nations. Narrative, oops.

- Regardless of the definition being used, fatalities in mass shooting incidents in the U.S. account for only a small fraction of all gun murders that occur nationwide each year.

- By 2016, Chicago had recorded more homicides and shooting victims than New York City and Los Angeles combined. Chicago's biggest criminal justice challenges have changed little over the last 50 years, and statistically reside with homicide, armed robbery, gang violence, and aggravated battery.

- The majority of one-on-one shooting murders are disproportionately perpetrated by one group. Political correctness has buried this. Hint: nothing to do with the profile of Kiwi LFAOs.

- Profile of mass school shooters (of which even one is far too many) shows that most don't have fathers in their lives, and they have demonstrated over and over again their intentions, and again because of political correctness these intentions are not reacted or responded to, and almost all acquired their guns illegally.

For those interested in an objective review:

Mass shootings aren't growing more common – and evidence contradicts common stereotypes about the killers

So to infer that LFAOs demonstrating outside one of the many places that the Prime Minister visits is going to encourage some sort of outbreak of mass shooting is, in my view, not just wrong, not just disingenuous, but actually attacking your fellow LFAOs.

In case you're wondering (probably not) most of the above was included in one of my submissions to Parliament to provide context for people who seem to get their soundbites only from biased media.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

i dont know what all the rates has got to do with school shootings which is generally the only thing abfout USA gun crime that we see in the media here (along with other mass shootings) this has all happened due to a mass shooting, not at a school but still it is the root cause. Coming in and spouting well known facts (the media dosent care) dosent change that someone who was excitedly advertising a shotgun stock which only has one purpose of concealment or room clearing is also advertising a firearms protest outside of a school is a really bad look. extreamly baad.

If we as shooters want the media and the public on our side, which will change politicians minds, then we need to look closer at crap like this. Currently it is playing right into nashs 'gun nuts' comments. The media is on this forum, im surprised the above hasnt been picked up on yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Konev View Post
    i dont know what all the rates has got to do with school shootings which is generally the only thing abfout USA gun crime that we see in the media here (along with other mass shootings) this has all happened due to a mass shooting, not at a school but still it is the root cause. Coming in and spouting well known facts (the media dosent care) dosent change that someone who was excitedly advertising a shotgun stock which only has one purpose of concealment or room clearing is also advertising a firearms protest outside of a school is a really bad look. extreamly baad.

If we as shooters want the media and the public on our side, which will change politicians minds, then we need to look closer at crap like this. Currently it is playing right into nashs 'gun nuts' comments. The media is on this forum, im surprised the above hasnt been picked up on yet.
    What would you do instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What would you do instead?
    Use a bit more common sense for that protest. thats the least that could be done. go protest outside a labour part electorate office that isnt by a school (or a mosque for that matter)

Is this a COFLO supported protest or kiwigunguys own independant event?

Quote Originally Posted by coltace View Post
    why the fuck are we supposed to be protesting outside a school? this is how you make yourself look bad. You decide to move it outside the PMs electorate office I'm in.
    The point we're making is that the data leak, and the "buy-back" in general, put us and our families at risk.
    For all we know, the dad or mum of one of those Grey Lynn kids might have just had their details leaked by the police, putting that child in danger.
    I don't know if you're aware, but the protest at Trusts Stadium last week was directly across the road from a kindergarten, which was open at the time.
    There wasn't any real negative media coverage of the protest, and some of the kids were even waving to us.
    The photos from the protest even got used on articles about the data leak two days later, which was excellent timing.

We will be protesting outside police stations and electorate offices very soon, so feel free to join in.
    If you join the Auckland Firearms Protest Facebook group, you'll be kept up to date. We already have over 400 members.
    We had 200-300 protesters at the first event in Greenlane, and about 100 at the Trusts Stadium.
    These protests are going to be a regular occurrence nationwide and for the foreseeable future.
    Now is as good at time as any to join in and get on board.
    Last edited by Kiwigunguy; 06-12-2019 at 05:01 AM.
    "An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    Protests don't achieve anything. Quite often whether intended or it makes it worse for the cause you are trying to protest about. Waste of time.
    You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. Pick one.
    If you're too lazy to get out and do the work yourself, you don't get to talk shit about the people doing it for you.
    What have you actually done to stand up against gun confiscation? I suspect very little beyond the comfort of your chair.
    I've attended at least six protests, four of which were just me by myself. I still made the Waikato Times, and I was covered quite favourably.
    So I ask again-what have you done to help?
    "An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

I've written submissions. I personally don't like protests so will never attend one. There is more power in a carefully worded submission then a protest. But yes those submissions were written from my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    I've written submissions. I personally don't like protests so will never attend one. There is more power in a carefully worded submission then a protest. But yes those submissions were written from my chair.
    I've written submissions, mad a personal submission, attended protests with polite, 'wry' signs, and I would not criticize those who would choose only one - or yet another option - but I agree with KGG, it's a bit much for the people who do nothing to put down the people who do something. Even if you think we're wrongheaded and / or we're engaged in a futile attempt. And we're not spreading the meme that LFAOs have any overlap at all with mass school shooters!
    canross likes this.

I'm not criticising anyone for doing what they believe in. Just merely stating that protests can and are quite often used against the subject. The media will spin it however they want regardless of the intention, it only takes 1 person at a protest to stuff it completely and get spun negatively. For me protesting firearms stuff is a terrible way to do it, we are already walking a fine line.
    I will continue to support our cause in any way I can, but will not attend protests.

I get the point about the schools. But I also get the point that it’s still a free society and we have the right to peaceful protest.
    So those that are protesting be smart about as the post at the top of this post states.
    Then no problem.
    It’s also no great help to anybody to start slinging mud here....from which ever stand your looking from!
    canross likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Fact is that the protests have been helping our cause. The media has been a LOT more critical of the government and has paid a lot more attention to gun owners and the flaws in these laws since the protests began.

Before the government was setting the tone, holding the press briefings, and we we just having to respond to whatever lies they made up. Now with the protests we are dictating the time, place, and discussion, and it's working. The media here is generally left leaning, but they are also businesses. They reported the government line for so long because that was the only story they had, and they need to run a story every day no matter what. Now that we are holding protests and exposing what an utter sh*t show these laws and their administration is, the media have a far more interesting story to work with. Sure it won't all go our way, and we won't get support from the hardcore lefties, but from the sound of their ever higher pitched screeching and desperate insults it looks like we're starting to get them in an uncomfortable corner which they can't seem to escape. Frankly they aren't used to, and likely weren't expecting this level of resistance.

There is a place for writing letters - I would say everyone at a protest has at minimum done that. Most have written their submissions, many have made verbal submissions, and now they're getting out in public and showing that this isn't a small creepy gun lobby hiding in the shadows like nash is desperately trying to paint us, but a large diverse demographic that looks just like your neighbor, because we are your neighbors. I get that protesting is scary and takes a lot of guts to attend - I don't think anyone at these protests wants to be there. They've got lives to lead, families to spend time with, and much more enjoyable things to do, but they wouldn't feel right about themselves letting this happen to them without a fight.

Funnily enough once you're at the protest it actually feels pretty good! Hanging out with fellow hunters and target shooters is always fun, it feels good to take some control back and take the fight back on the offensive, and frankly the amount of support from passing cars is amazing. Makes you aware of just how many kiwis are against these laws, even if they're afraid to show it openly.
    Last edited by canross; 06-12-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    Sasquatch and sightpicture like this.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    Funnily enough once you're at the protest it actually feels pretty good! Hanging out with fellow hunters and target shooters is always fun, it feels good to take some control back and take the fight back on the offensive, and frankly the amount of support from passing cars is amazing. Makes you aware of just how many kiwis are against these laws, even if they're afraid to show it openly.
    This ^^^ :-)
    sightpicture likes this.