Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Firearms then optics then accessories $$$$

I used to do what Tussock did, i bought a Sako, spent $$$$....treated the fuker as a safe queen in case i dropped it and then sold the bastard....Norinco & Baikal for this 'winner' now.....
    Ftx325 likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Banned
    After extreme accuracy obsession to the point my hunting rifle shot sub MIL at 100m, I now don't care. 2"@ 100m = dead deer at far enough. All my ballistics knowledge means I'm not that worried about calliber or groups like I used to be.

The guy I buy a lot of stuff from thinks I'm retarded for this reason. He thinks I should care. He does not realise I have been there and done that and now I'm amusing myself shooting weird guns.

I buy it, shove some factory ammo in it and off I go. Shoot it to its limitations.

Now I'm back full circle, sick of the limitations and want to hit what I want when I want again.

One thing I am ruthless about. When I use a gun I always think "love this thing, I should use it more". Just one outing where I don't enjoy it and it's gone.

Never sell a rifle you have not handled lately. Nearly sold my 338, got it out and cleaned it and thought I must be mad.

Scopes are a one way street. Had Leica Binos, S&B combo and sold both. You can see in the dark with these. You shoot more in that failing light than any other time, much of it impossible to see without the optics. Had to find both again. Binos alone is no good because you can see it but can't shoot it.
    Ftx325 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    Yeah human nature to a degree. But if you look at it rationally rather than emotionally or additively, there is no 'must have' rifle after you have lets say 4 rifles that you have spent love, time and money to get them perfectly to where you are happy with them.

Four different calibers, four different scopes...the correct weight, stock, accuracy etc. Really why not stop there and be satisfied?

I'm sure it can be done despite human nature....or are we all doomed to never being satisfied and always wanting the next toy?
    I think you’re on the money, 4 well set up rifles is plenty to be honest. As far as centrefires go I’m running just two at the moment. Both are well set up with decent scopes and suppressors; they won’t be sold and replaced with something theoretically better but in reality not much different, which is normally how it rolls with similar cartridges in real world conditions.
    Hermitage likes this.