Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First gun

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    You could use electronic ear muffs and hear better than normal and protect your ears.
    hes a student though! can remember those days, always on a budget

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    If this hasn't sold it would be a good buy I think.
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...23/#post497122
    Also @Savage1
    He had a 7mm 08 for sale recently I believe for an excellent price.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You could use electronic ear muffs and hear better than normal and protect your ears.
    just get good ones, ive repaired some of the budget ones and they are total crap
    Steve123 likes this.

Electronic muffs are shit in a situation where you are climbing a bloody steep hill sweating and something pops up - you either take the muffs off because its so bloody hot, or leave them on. Just carry the suppressor weight on the rifle and man up (especially if its a bush rifle). Just my opinion.

Rem 700 308 would be a excellent platform to start with.

My favourite and rifles of choice are the good old HOWA's(Weatherby vanguard with a different name but made by HOWA). For your budget you can get it in stainless , scoped(Nikko Stirling) and for only a touch more over 1k suppressed.

Either will do the job well but for calibre-308. Simple, gets the job done and a calibre that you can grow into. I will never not own one!

Howa's are great and come threaded for a suppressor but get new steel rings as a minimum. The package ones are crap alloy and won't hold zero.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Electronic muffs are shit in a situation where you are climbing a bloody steep hill sweating and something pops up - you either take the muffs off because its so bloody hot, or leave them on. Just carry the suppressor weight on the rifle and man up (especially if its a bush rifle). Just my opinion.
    He was looking for cheap alternatives not weight issues. 80 bucks vs about 500.

He was looking for cheap alternatives not weight issues. 80 bucks vs about 500.
    Point taken sir. My recommendation would be to save for a suppressor if money is tight. Cheers.

The Remington would be fine.
    I have bought off trademe.
    Have had no problem with what I have bought.
    Check their feedback as this is an indicator of whether they are ok to deal with.
    In reality most rifles are better than most shooters (personal experience).
    When you buy from the dealers at most you get to see it it fits and have a look down the barrel.
    You would still need to shoot it to see what it is like.
    Just remember to smack something like a deer at 200m you don't need to shot cloverleaf groups.

Bought my Omark 44 off TM - ex TR rifle - owned by an old bloke (according to his son), who shot on an occasional basis.
    Came with case, jacket, A class approved wooden safe (which I've mounted) and a weatherproof mat - for $550.
    Have spent a few dollars more (less than $700 - Nikko Stirling 6-24 x 56 IR scope, 30 mm rings, 20MOA Rem SA rail adapted, 30 magnum suppressor).
    Bolt currently being modified for longer, straighter handle with larger knob.
    Hope to fire 'first' shot early next week.
    Being a 'bit' OCD, spent more than I'd originally planned.
    From what I've read here, and elsewhere, 1 shot is all that's necessary.
    Oh...I'm a bloody pensioner, so know all about 'lack of funds' and 'obsession'

Keep an eye out on here and trademe. I picked up a pretty much brand new tikka in old mate 7mm08 with a nikon scope for 900 bucks.
    Little bit of patience and alot of research will get you onto somthing good for a steal sooner or later.
    Guy on here was selling my old howa in 6.5x55 supressed and with a scope for around a grand I think. Good rifle great calibre. Have a scroll through the Buy and sell

Get some binos, go for a wander, take photos, let me live vicariously while doing 70 odd hours per week, 17 last Sat. Its a good time of year for deals to pop up.