Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: First Rifle For Lad

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    One hell of an offer thanks. I'll have to put a rain check on it though, until I get a rifle in hopefully the correct size. Then I guess I'd have to go over to the darkside and start reloading, or con someone to do it for me. Before I do anything, I'll try and track down some different sizes and get him to send some lead down. Got a few options to work on at this stage. Cheers all
    It is a good offer. Bare in mind as you go along your journey and inevitably start reloading (its a great father and son activity) that 2209 will work in most common calibers. 243, 6.5, 270, 7-08, 30.06. Its not so commonly used in 308. Maybe you should grab some and store it while the offer is going?
    oraki likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    It is a good offer. Bare in mind as you go along your journey and inevitably start reloading (its a great father and son activity) that 2209 will work in most common calibers. 243, 6.5, 270, 7-08, 30.06. Its not so commonly used in 308. Maybe you should grab some and store it while the offer is going?
    To make the most of reloading, you probably need to shoot more than 40 shots in 25 yrs. With his interest now becoming an obsession, I guess I should start looking down this avenue. This time last year, I was still on the original packet. Had only put 15 through it, 5 of which were on paper

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Just to put my 2c in - I'm a smallish frame, 26yo female with a fair bit of shooting under my belt. I wouldn't say I'm perfect by any means, but I'm pretty comfortable behind a rifle.

Like I said before, I reckon any 6.5-7mm will do the job. However, I disagree with a comment above about how all of those calibres, suppressed, feel the same lightness of a .223.

Oraki to give you a background, I shoot with a .223 and a .260 both suppressed.

Here is me shooting my partner's suppressed .308 after a shitload of dry firing. I think the look on my face summarises that it does not feel like my regular weapons.

https://vimeo.com/187172809

Ps- those who wish to school me on my shooting and tell me how much better than me you supposedly are, you are required to upload your own slow mo video of you shooting before comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose it is very subjective and depends on the person and the rifle, but I feel like if someone finds a suppressed .270 or 7mm08 comfortable to shoot then a suppressed .308 won't be a problem for them, given the same weight rifle, run-of-the-mill factory ammo etc.
    I don't think you can go wrong with a 6.5, I guess 6.5x55 is much easier and cheaper to get factory ammo for, but .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor look pretty good too.
    Dougie and oraki like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    I suppose it is very subjective and depends on the person and the rifle, but I feel like if someone finds a suppressed .270 or 7mm08 comfortable to shoot then a suppressed .308 won't be a problem for them, given the same weight rifle, run-of-the-mill factory ammo etc.
    I don't think you can go wrong with a 6.5, I guess 6.5x55 is much easier and cheaper to get factory ammo for, but .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor look pretty good too.
    The comments were that the 7mms were like .223s to shoot. But yup I agree with everything you have said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Beginning to wonder if I'm looking at this all wrong. Should I get him a smaller gun, that he gets very accustomed to, and when 'that' shot appears, he just uses my one. In the future he can use his one on reds etc using shot placement. A fella said to us today that all he uses is 223. His reasoning is " If I can head shoot a bunny at 300yds, why can't I head shoot a deer at 300"
    He also reckoned that you never try to outshoot a joker that's only got one gun. He knows it inside and out
    gadgetman likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Oaraki
    Your not that far from me and Tussock is inbetween, we can easily get that 6.5 going if you want to maybe take the plunge and reload.
    There are others in you area that would help as well.
    Only trouble is, possibly more an initial expense that you originally bargined for, however, give it a think.
    Fractory ammo isn't any dearer than other centerfires, american stuff is just slow and gets lost after 300 or so, but that probably far enough anyway.
    When I talk 6.5 I mean x55, not those "orrible short actioned other things, they're doooomed.
    Grim, gadgetman and oraki like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I agree with aim for the big bit. This fella is a very experienced varmitter, and has an absolute tack driver of a 223. I don't question the rifle in his hands but the head is very small for beginner.
    Googling recoil says the 6.5 is more than 243, but as you say download and build up. Much easier 25 year ago. Was only 243, 270 & 308 on the shelf that I could afford. I went middle of road, and it was ducks nuts then.
    I'll try and hook up with you guys again at some stage.
    Should get membership to the new range as well. But 6 minutes drive is along way........

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    The feel can vary a lot between rifles depending on the weight and personal fit - subjectively my unsuppressed Savage Classic 7mm08 (same as the one Nibblet linked earlier) and suppressed Ruger Hawkeye 308 feel very similar for recoil. Mates T3 270 booted a lot harder than either of them when I used it.

The 223 feels like a 22 in comparison to any of them though!
    Grim, Dougie and oraki like this.

As I suggest in the very first page(at the time) I have a Browning A-bolt in 243, suppressed with an old school Gunworks a, leupold base, rings and a VX1 also old school (1/2 MOA adjustments) for sale, has had about 2-300 rounds and don't look as new as have had few trips to the hills, I have just finished a load development for it and it will shoot better than I can.
    Rifle also shoots less than 1" at 100 meters with Winchester Super X.

Cheers

Mac

Name:  IMG_6464.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  559.6 KB

Saying that I have a Browning 243 for sale does not Mean it is the best rifle for the job but sure will be for a young fella or the old fella(my father in law) too. My first rifle is a 7mm Rem Mag and I suffer a lot till not long ago with the recoil, since I bought a 6.5X55 I understand how much difference it has on recoil and it is not even suppressed.
    I am lately shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor for target stuff and I love it, I shot the 243 and it feels awesome too with recoil same or very similar in between all these rifles.

Whatever you go for try to shoot before buy.

Good luck

Mac
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I used to have a Browning abolt in EBRG, very accurate, ideal for mice to wallaby, maybe the odd goat.
    Others experience may differ.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Another slant on this is how close is he to having his own transport and licence? No point getting into reloading until he is getting out and about with his own wheels then he really will start going through the ammo

He's still a couple of years away from licence. He's saving up for his first vehicle and sleeps with the firearms code under his pillow. So at this stage, he can't go anywhere without me. That's why I'm thinking along the lines now of 243, and my one for "that" shot. I'll be trying to install the thought process of get as close as you can, and then another 50m closer. If they can shoot animals with a bow at close range, you can do it with a rifle. That's what stalking is all about. If the animal spooks, work out why, and get it right next time

my 2c

get him a good .22lr with good glass and 2000 rounds of ammo

move him onto your .223 later on . . .

R.

He's already taken over my 22 and is shooting very well. Last time we went out he was head shooting bunnies and hares out to 95 paces. The only 22 long range I know of is Dundees . That thing is incredible. He practices on a homemade swinging disc 50mm round from around 60 yds out. There's another bucket of ammo waiting for me at the shop now.
    Edit to add: When we are out after wallabys and fallow he uses the 223. He's probably got a better conversion rate than me
    Last edited by oraki; 15-10-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    gadgetman and rossi.45 like this.