Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: First rifle. Rem 700 7-08

First rifle. Rem 700 7-08

Hi guys, am relatively new to the hunting scene. Been out a few times with an older uncle but he is a bit passed it now. Don't really know anyone else who hunts so I have decided its time I get out there on my own. That means a need a gun.

I live in the Te Puke area and have friend who has said I can have a go at some goats that are on the farm he is at (hoping there might be fallow there too!)

Now I don't have a lot of money to throw around but I have seen a gun at Hunting and Fishing and would like to know thoughts as I know very little with regards to scopes and even calibres etc.

I'll attach a photo of the description and would just like to know peoples thoughts on this as a first gun - for goats and hopefully deer.

Any help would be good.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jord likes this.

Go for it Jeez I paid more for mine. But are very happy with its accuracy and weight.
    jord likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

That would be a good rifle to start with (I have a Remington 7 08 as well). You might end up replacing the scope at some point, but it will do for now.

I'm in a similar position to you - ended up paying a few bucks more and getting a .308 howa in stainless with a nikko diamond scope.
    I'm clearly no expert at all, but read many threads on a couple of forums and the general themes were:

Calibre - everyone has their favourite, you will get a million different recommendations. My take was to steer clear of the more powerful rounds like .270 and go for something middle of the road. I went for .308 in the end coz the guy in the shop recommended it and it seems a little cheaper and more common than some of the others. I did nearly get a 7mm 08 though.

Scopes - packaged scopes at the bottom end of the market are generally a bit crap. You have to start with something though - my Nikko is "OK" but having looked through a mates leupold I am saving up for something better. People will tell you to spend as much on the scope as on the gun but when your whole budget is less than 1k you are somewhat limited.

i am sure some more qualified people will chime in here!

there was a ruger 308 on here that might do ya, no scope though. Either would be good and................................at least its not another "what Tikka" to buy thread
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Go for it Jeez I paid more for mine. But are very happy with its accuracy and weight.
    Yours is stainless

Sweet looks like a thumbs up. Will hopefully own my first gun tomorrow!

Dundee, ebf and Scouser like this.

Just a note, it is 2nd hand and has a bit of "wear and tear" but guy at the shop reckons its just aesthetics and the actual gun is in good nick.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimeone View Post
    Just a note, it is 2nd hand and has a bit of "wear and tear" but guy at the shop reckons its just aesthetics and the actual gun is in good nick.

Hey mate have you had a look in hamills tauranga Stacey might have something that may suit aswell and is a top guy to deal with

Got for it.

There is really little in felt recoil between .260, .270, 7m-08 and .308.

New Remingtons have a pretty good R3 recoil pad, very close to the excellent aftermarket Limbsaver pads.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    Hey mate have you had a look in hamills tauranga Stacey might have something that may suit aswell and is a top guy to deal with
    I haven't yet but might pop in their tomorrow then, only advantage with hunting and fishing is I have a $120 in vouchers 😀

Can't comment in the gun but I have the scope it comes with and I don't love it, but it is easily replaced and will do for the mean time. It seems like a fair price so I say pull the trigger on it!
    sublimeone likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Get the seller to run a patch through the bore and check it carefully against a light source. Don't buy it if the bore has any pits or dark areas. Go for it if the condition of the bore is okay. Excellent deer hunting round and Remington 700 bolt actions usually shoot very accurately.
    Dundee and sublimeone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimeone View Post
    Sweet looks like a thumbs up. Will hopefully own my first rifle tomorrow!

Fixed
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Did you buy it? @sublimeone
    CFD