Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Flip-up scope caps vs Neoprene scope covers

Quote Originally Posted by len6163 View Post
    I thought people just cut a band out of a small tyre tube then spend money on exy neoprene covers
    This is my mode of operation.
    As well as being very effective in covering the lenses, the rubber band can be used as a fire starter in an emergency
    57jl and dannyb like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Ejected
    Whoever it was than said rifle over the shoulder, go stand in the corner.
    If the block your hunting is that wet go get a red dot sight. It really is that simple. Fliptop covers are a complete and utter waste of time, inner tube works alright but it's like having the rifle over your shoulder.
    Dama dama likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Whoever it was than said rifle over the shoulder, go stand in the corner.
    If the block your hunting is that wet go get a red dot sight. It really is that simple. Fliptop covers are a complete and utter waste of time, inner tube works alright but it's like having the rifle over your shoulder.
    Are red dots better in the rain? Less likely to get wet inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    ... If the block your hunting is that wet go get a red dot sight. It really is that simple. Fliptop covers are a complete and utter waste of time...
    I think this really depends on where you're hunting Wirehunt. If you're in the bush then yep, I tend to agree. Game can present itself anywhere and at any time so split seconds count and a Red Dot is probably going to be the better option. But if you're hunting tahr in falling snow, the rifle spends a lot of time over your shoulder and having a cap ensures time is not lost clearing the lens before getting a shot away.

Horses for courses I guess.

I have a cap on the front lens only and find it handy in the alpine environment. In the bush they can be a bit of a pain sometimes.

SiB
    Having a good lens wipe is also a critical factor

I always use and carry the “Titmus Fog Eliminator Cloths”

They’re safe on ALL lens coating systems and absolutely brilliant at reducing fogging on outside of lenses (and glasses), as well as improving beading on older lenses

Just remember to never use a paper tissue on any lens! Too harsh and ultimately will damage any coating

ebf
    Horses for courses

Aluminas are awesome, great fauture is the ability to fold them all the way back so the are lying against the scope body, and not sticking out.

Bikini is ok, they seem to crack in the long run. Still easy to remove it and leave it attached around the rings - otherwise you loose them

Full neoprene is ok, slow to remove, and you need someplace to stash it in a pocket etc.
    Other alternative is something like the Northwest Scope Shield - not sure I like the dangling bit and how that would affect accuracy ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beHevaC-Pj4&t=188s

Butletr Creek / Sightron etc suck...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    Pretty simple question, what's your preference and why relating to flip up scope caps vs neoprene scope covers? I can see the pros and cons to both but would like others' input as I haven't really used either (though wish I had something to keep the lenses clean more than a few times!)

Edit - bikini style is also an option, really I'd just like to not have dirt/water/snow on my lenses.
    The bikini Covers are a pita IMO, neoprene sleeve is the better option. I use neoprene on my bigger fancier scopes and caps on the bush bashers.

I'm new to hunting & balked at $30 for a neoprene cover so got one from aliexpress for about $6. Wished I known about the tube idea!

LOC
    neoprene covers are great for avoiding dings in the safe
    ebf, Beetroot and 10-Ring like this.

I have been using the neoprene sleeves for open country hunting lately as you generally have time to remove etc. and they are great , bush hunting the old tyre tube works great , but actually most of the time bush hunting I used to use good old toilet paper , if your stalking in the bush the gun is certainly not over your shoulder ! I know its not ideal for the lenses but bit of toilet paper in pocket works fine , when its wet get a new piece , shoulder your rifle often to check scope even with water on it you can still usually see through it ok

57JL
    I got sick of having to clean my scope in the bush all the bloody time then discovered Bushnell elite scopes with the rain guard coating system on them and have never had to stop and clean my scope in the wet bush because water just beads off giving a clear view every TIME I put the rifle to my shoulder kill rate went up heaps
    use neoprene scope cover for transporting and in the safe all good

Truck Tire tube works for me.
    Best thing if you loose one it doesn't cost much to replace it, also used them before cut into smaller patches as fire starters.
    Bicycle tire tubes are also great to use as sleeves for the suppressor, makes it very quiet (no more metal clinking) when you bush stalk.
    Or you can stay within 300 yards and keep life a lot simpler.

I use a neoprene cover. If I'm bush stalking it just stays off and then open country or transport mode it goes back on. Only takes a second or two to quickly flick it off quickly if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by diana2 View Post
    Bicycle tire tubes are also great to use as sleeves for the suppressor, makes it very quiet (no more metal clinking) when you bush stalk.
    Great idea, i'm going to try that.

Flip ups suck.They're ok for open country hunters maybe but you have to have them open in the bush....then they get ripped off when pushing through scrub.

I use a neoprene cover on my scope when not actually hunting (tramping into block or whatever) or when hunting in open country. But 90% of my hunting is in the bush, so lens are exposed and ready to go. I carry rifle horizontal and that helps keep rain/water off.
    stagstalker likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella