Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Getting the most out of a 308.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    What exactly is the issue with a 16 barrel ?

I have a 14 inch 7-08, and would happily shoot it out to 400m plus with lighter projectiles.

At the end of the day all bullets drop, no matter what the launch speed. It is really a dial-up issue more than anything else.
    Would you consider 16" to be the optimal 308 barrel length for open country? As stated at the start,I am looking for the best barrel length to suit my very specific requirements.

I have a 45/90 too,maybe you should have one as well? Because the difference between a 16" 308 and a 45/90 must surely be just a matter of dial up?

Or maybe thats not what this thread is about.
    Got-ya and Hunter_Nick like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

ebf
    I ask again, what is the specific issue ?

Are you looking for a particular speed that is not achievable with a 16 inch barrel ?

"Optimal" is a question of opinion. Probably 22 to 24 inch if you go by what most manufacturers choose as a stock length.

500m really is not that far, hence my comments above. Even with pretty sedate MV you should be able to get out to that in a single rotation of dial...

If you wanted a 308 to have supersonic speed at 1000 yds for F-class, then sure, 28 to 30 inch barrel come into play.
    S.E.G and Dazzh like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

The specific issue is that we are not discussing the merits of a 16" Barrel.

Nor the suitability of a 45/90

Or John Deere vs Massy Fergusson.

We are discussing the optimal barrel length for biffing heavy pills at medium ranges.Please read the thread from the beginning because I would like to hear from people who have experience in the topic being discussed and not some random throwing statements out there in an attempt to graft his version of relevance into what was forming into a interesting discussion.
    jakewire, ebf and Hunter_Nick like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

ebf
    righto, so some "random" comments.

You seem to have settled on a 26 inch barrel.

Hopefully a 1:10 twist - that gives you a nice spread from 150gr all the way up to 230gr.

The one suggestion I would make is to not overlook mid-weight projectile options. For several years we tried to push the boundaries in FTR with heavy projectiles. Everything from 208 to 230 in 308 cases. Using Palma brass / small primer absolutely helps - much stronger base in the case, and able to handle higher pressures. The real issue with longer barrels and heavier projectiles in 308 is rotational force. In the FTR world it is specific to bipods (I know you said you don't use one). The bottom line is whatever way you support the rifle, heavy projectiles cause a significant twisting action. After trying the 200's, most guys eventually came back to 185gr - it seems to be the magic number for 308 at distance. It is a weight of projectile most people find they can shoot well, without having to significantly improve their recoil management.
    Last edited by ebf; 01-04-2022 at 07:45 PM.

Banned
    The fact that most magnum hunting rifles had 26" barrels suggests that this is about optimum for carryability / performance. The 308 might only need 24" to wring most of the performance out, but a 26" would be a lot more saleable if you didnt like it. I would go a long throated or (how ever it is that the target shooters suggest) 26" and see what its like.
    norsk likes this.

ebf
    For the 185s we typically throated 100 thou extra. If you are using 220 or 230 pills you might even want to go longer that that.

At 100 thou extra, with high BC projectile shapes, you are no longer mag loading. So I guess it depends if mag loading is a requirement or not.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

My Rem 308 is 24 inch. I was using 165gr super perforance ssts just straight factory and i was getting 2820fps out of it, plenty out to 500m.(not that i shoot that far lol).
    Doubt you really need to go longer than that.
    Moa Hunter, caberslash and Longrun like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    My Rem 308 is 24 inch. I was using 165gr super perforance ssts just straight factory and i was getting 2820fps out of it, plenty out to 500m.(not that i shoot that far lol).
    Doubt you really need to go longer than that.
    aha...NOW I see where your issues with .308 stem from....... horrible hot loads,perfect for out long but not a patch on a soft 180 up close n personal...... one of these days I will get you edumacated and using PROPER bush loads in that cannon.....
    strewth that load combo would be more volitile than the EBRG loads.....at 50 yards would be almost a varmit loading.....
    Ducking for cover.....
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    aha...NOW I see where your issues with .308 stem from....... horrible hot loads,perfect for out long but not a patch on a soft 180 up close n personal...... one of these days I will get you edumacated and using PROPER bush loads in that cannon.....
    strewth that load combo would be more volitile than the EBRG loads.....at 50 yards would be almost a varmit loading.....
    Ducking for cover.....
    @Micky Duck true, thats why i ditched the 165gr ssts, going to fast for 50m hahaha. My 308 was intended for longer range thou Micky(243 for close)
    But of cause i like a change now and again and it comes for a walk....using fed fusion 165 gr now and the 3 deer shot so far with it going good.
    Micky Duck and Longrun like this.