Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The Glass on Your 22-250

The Glass on Your 22-250

Hi I’m getting to know my new 22-250 and curious to learn what power scopes people are putting on them - and how that relates to the way they are using the cartridge ie what game and what ranges and so on. Thanks in advance for any input.

Meopta meopro 6-18 probably a bit much for the caliber but I have shot turkeys out to 400 yds and rabbits around the 100-200 range. I rate these scopes highly probably better value than my swaro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boaraxa likes this.

That's cool, I love that stock btw. I've got a VX5 3-15 on mine but the reason I started this thread is I'm thinking that there are two ways you can go with this calibre. It can be a long range small game sniper rig, which is what you have going there, and that's awesome, or it can be more of a goats and deer cartridge. The small game opportunities I have are more .22 sub close and quiet sort of thing so I'm thinking maybe not the VX5 but instead put a Z3 3-9 on this rifle and use it primarily as a goat/small deer/occasional red gun, - light and handy, good for bush and steep hills and good on goats out to I dunno, 300 or so depending on the terminal performance of whatever load I end up with. And closer in for deer. Again depending on the load.

Name:  IMG_2540.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  3.12 MB

This is mine.
    veitnamcam, Bill999 and tikka like this.

Leupold vx3 6.5-20x40 with turrets on mine.have taken magpie at 360m with that one .
    WillB likes this.

Name:  20200121_192951.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  965.4 KB

Just bought this second hand this week Savage Varmint
    WillB likes this.

Mine is a SPS Rem Blued model and have a Bushnell 4 x 12 front focus scope on it. Mine is set up more for deer and goats but in saying that I have shot rabbits out to close on 300 yards. I think the 22 250 is a 300 yard rifle for the smaller deer species, 350 - 400 yards for goats and as far as you can hit on rabbits etc. My son's Savage HB he uses in Canada for Coyote shooting and has taken some very long shots but generally between 250 -400 yards, he uses a 4 x 16 Bushnell ( I Think)
    WillB likes this.

Name:  20200124_211235.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  1.45 MB
    Viper 6-24x50
    My plan was to be a long range varmint type rifle, probably a little heavy to sling a round in the bush, if I found a nice sling to carry it over the shoulder then I wouldn't be afraid to hit the big hills. Once I have the funds organised I'm going to start reloading and stretch the legs and start dialling. At the moment 200m is basicslly point and shoot.
    WillB and Tuckerbox like this.

I reckon you would be hard pressed to better whats on it now,3x is plenty good for close shooting and 15power will take you a LOOOOONG way out there. Ive got nothing more than 9x and dont feel at disadvantage.....rabbits at 400 well the 15x should be enough....and its a loopy so got to be good LOL.
    Bill999, chainsaw and WillB like this.

Vx6 3.5 - 18 was on my 22t would do that for a long range bunny gun

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    WillB likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I reckon you would be hard pressed to better whats on it now,3x is plenty good for close shooting and 15power will take you a LOOOOONG way out there. Ive got nothing more than 9x and dont feel at disadvantage.....rabbits at 400 well the 15x should be enough....and its a loopy so got to be good LOL.
    I'm glad to hear you are happy with a 3-9 on the 22-250. Thing is I have 2 scopes and 3 cartridges - the Z3 and the VX5 are the scopes and the other two cartridges are .308 and .3006 and they are two barrels for the same Blaser. So I'm trying to figure out how to make best use of these two scopes. Whatever goes on the Blaser can swap between the two barrels, whatever goes on the sako has to stay there. So which rifle gets the VX5? The 22-250 or the .308/30-06? I feel like you could argue it both ways. And if you are thinking why doesn't he just get another scope - well, I've spent all my money. I'll have to save up, and in the meantime I want to make the most of what I have. And really I feel like maybe I can make this work with 2 scopes. I'll be doing some more load testing tomorrow morning with the 22-250 and the VX5 but once I've got a load dialled in I could swap them round again. Decisions decisions.

I can see that by and large we seem to be seeing high mag scopes on the 22-250s. Thanks for the input guys.

I had a vx3 3-10 on mine originally and just didn’t think it done it justice but I don’t do much bush shooting hence why I’ve got the 6-18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a 3X Weaver on mine for maybe 25 years, now it wears a Weaver 3-10 and rarely gets off 3X. And I've shot deer, tahr, chamois, pigs and goats out to about 350. As well as a heap of rabbits and hares, but I do crank it up for those.

On the 22-250, anything over 8x is overkill. On my long range bunny 22-250 I have a 6-24 and it rarely gets off 8x. Reason - above 8x you struggle to keep the rifle on target under recoil and therefore loose sight of the impact. What's the point in using a splat gun if you don't get to see the splat??!! I will increase this to 10-12 power if I am reaching out to 300m, but usually my rabbiting us under 250m because the wind where I shoot becomes a major influence.

Most optics (I would argue all) have diminished optical performance at the top end of their zoom range, so when you establish what max power you want to use, go up a couple or three time magnification eg if you want 8x, buy a 2-10 or a 3-9. This will keep you in the optical sweet spot.
    Oh look, you already have a VX5 3-15 on it - BINGO
    Micky Duck and WillB like this.

WiilB if I was in your position I think I would first decide on what sort of ranges you will be using you 308 and 30-06 cartridges on your Blaser. If you are not going to shoot animals beyond 300m with those calibres then the 3-9 Z3 may be the best option.
    As for your 22-250 the VX5 I feel is a good choice with the lower end being suitable for bush hunting of deer, pigs and goats with the higher magnification suiting longer range rabbit and hare shooting.
    My 22-250 wears a 3.5-18x44mm scope on it and I am very happy to use it for deer in the bush at 3.5 power and wind it up to 18 power when I am shooting hares at beyond 400m.
    WillB and Southcity like this.