Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The Glass on Your 22-250

Meopta meopro 6-18 probably a bit much for the caliber but I have shot turkeys out to 400 yds and rabbits around the 100-200 range. I rate these scopes highly probably better value than my swaro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Iv got a meopta on mine as well , I thought the 6 might have been a bit to much for closer shots but its not , shot quite a few reds and a couple of large pigs with it now furthest an animal has travelled after being shot is about 30 meters , longest shot to date on a big red hind 268y damage was really surprising , using handloads , 55g serria sp
    Name:  22-250.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  477.8 KB

Just realised its got a vortex on it in the pic !! ...took it off some time ago , I like the extra magnification of the meopta and its really clear to look through.
    WillB, rewa and Max Headroom like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Just realised its got a vortex on it in the pic !! ...took it off some time ago , I like the extra magnification of the meopta and its really clear to look through.[/QUOTE]

Yea they’re a nice scope for the money! Also worth considering what reticle your vx5 and swaro have? I like the BDC reticle for Varmint guns but just personal preference I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont own a 22-250 but my .223 is its little poor cousin,any bunny/hare is in big trouble out to 250 yards....wallabies a darn sight further than that.
    Ive shot deer and pigs in the bush at 25-30 yards with the 3x9x50mm,its an older vx11 and is pretty darn good .

Haven't used the 22-250 for a while but I used to snipe rabbits in the dry Central Otago country up to 350 yards, using a 6-24x40 scope. It is a brilliant cartridge that deserves an accurate rig.
    Gusto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Haven't used the 22-250 for a while but I used to snipe rabbits in the dry Central Otago country up to 350 yards, using a 6-24x40 scope. It is a brilliant cartridge that deserves an accurate rig.
    I rate the cal , as always an accurate rifle to go with it helps iv got a A Tec suppressor I got for my 308 but its got the same thread & bullish barrel as the 250 so chucked it on and premo its so accurate and quiet , 2.5lb trigger its mint , one thing the 250 has done is made me leave the 223 in the cabinet even though its shooting the exact same projectile there worlds apart .
    WillB likes this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    On the 22-250, anything over 8x is overkill. On my long range bunny 22-250 I have a 6-24 and it rarely gets off 8x. Reason - above 8x you struggle to keep the rifle on target under recoil and therefore loose sight of the impact. What's the point in using a splat gun if you don't get to see the splat??!! I will increase this to 10-12 power if I am reaching out to 300m, but usually my rabbiting us under 250m because the wind where I shoot becomes a major influence.

Most optics (I would argue all) have diminished optical performance at the top end of their zoom range, so when you establish what max power you want to use, go up a couple or three time magnification eg if you want 8x, buy a 2-10 or a 3-9. This will keep you in the optical sweet spot.
    Oh look, you already have a VX5 3-15 on it - BINGO
    It's a very personal thing optics and what you expect out of them.
    I have had my 22-250 varmint rig for many years and have a leupy vx3 lr 8x25 with varmint reticle which is a fine reticle for small targets.
    I love this particular setup for what I do which is long range sniping of peacocks and anything else that takes my fancy.
    The rifle is heavy enough to watch my fall of shot and enjoy the splat effect.
    Just my 2cents worth

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    zimmer likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!