Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The "Goat Rifle"...

Yip, that's the ticket - your rifle will do well here in NZ.

Make sure you load up some ammo for all eventualities as we have 7 types of deer, tahr, chamois, wild sheep, goats, pigs, wild cattle and wallaby too. Plus all the small game too....

If you get stuck I can take you for a hunt, but it will be close quarters with bailing dogs.

kj

That will be perfect and if you wanted to hunt a big woolly high country boy goat (bull Tahr) you would be able to load a 125gr Partition instead of the Amax and still be on the money. Watch those plastic pointy bits on the end of the Amax, they put holes in your pockets.

You just need a suppressor and it will look like a locals rifle.

All of Josh's Colorado pictures were taken facing east. I thought I would throw in one facing west. As you can see we have a few hills here too.Name:  Flying 001.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  771.0 KB

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Yep, I have been in the hills up the back of Denver. Man that is rarified air up there, I was out of breath walking between the car and the house.
    ishoot10s likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Ah-hem, since Josh and Colorado are meeting me at Denver International in about 5 hours time, I'm hoping I might actually get hands on that sweet looking rig myself... I suspect it will do the business on our NZ stinkies, and I just hope they've left me a few P-dogs.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Nice rifle mate, Im not sure where in NZ you are heading but Im in central otago and we have a few goats around the farm. Depending on how busy we are (which is likely to be real busy) I could take you for a look... for some goats or maybe a fallow
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

199... I've not shot the 140 Amax yet... and don't know that I will. I've a Sendero 7mm Rem Mag running 162s... I'm looking for a little lighter rig in the recoil department. I'm really trying to stay in the 120-130gr range with this rifle, as it will serve mostly as a coyote rifle here on the plains.

Bill, geeze, et all... if I decide to leave it behind.... it's only because I've decided to stay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 260hunter View Post
    That will be perfect and if you wanted to hunt a big woolly high country boy goat (bull Tahr) you would be able to load a 125gr Partition instead of the Amax and still be on the money.

You just need a suppressor and it will look like a locals rifle.
    I would like the chance to chance Tahr while I'm there, we'll have to see if time/funds will allow an alpine hunt. I'll bring a box or two of Barnes 127 LRX loads for any larger beasties.... though I've learned the Amax is no slouch in the killin' stuff department.

Note the barrel is threaded for use of a brake or suppressor.

Thanks to all for the invites.... and we're not afraid of a little work around the farm either... if that'll help free up some hunting time.

thar are hardy buggers but the 123 amax will deffenitly put them on the ground
    80gr soft points and a 243 put them down just fine for me, just gotta practice the up and down hill shots

Colorado just tried to set me up with this for Coyotes, personally I think it requires them to be I little too close for comfort...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  555.8 KB
    Hey Josh! Get some sleep man, we're up early in the morning!
    Last edited by ishoot10s; 23-07-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Duplicated
    geezejonesy and Toby like this.

Josh's rifle shoots pretty well... I'm in transit right now but will put together a trip report when I'm home. Suffice is to say, Pawnee Josh and Colorado and their partners looked after me real well, most excellent hosts!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  244.5 KB
    Normie, geezejonesy and Toby like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Josh's rifle shoots pretty well... I'm in transit right now but will put together a trip report when I'm home. Suffice is to say, Pawnee Josh and Colorado and their partners looked after me real well, most excellent hosts!

Attachment 12641
    Saaaweeeet rig there pawne josh have you checked your safe to see if this Shady character hasn't misplaced for you? is this that last time you seen this rifle.Nice one Ray

I couldn't have got it in my bag Jase so I'm gonna let him keep it till he comes down in December. Then I'll nab it when he ain't lookin'

If any other members can help Josh and Colorado out with their NZ trip bucket list I know you'll be shown a great time on the Pawnee National Grasslands if you manage a reverse visit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    I couldn't have got it in my bag Jase so I'm gonna let him keep it till he comes down in December. Then I'll nab it when he ain't lookin'

If any other members can help Josh and Colorado out with their NZ trip bucket list I know you'll be shown a great time on the Pawnee National Grasslands if you manage a reverse visit.
    Ok is chasing reds in steep bush choked bluffs and tight guts and having to shoot at one using a rotten piece of leatherwood as a rest in 15knot winds on the side of a hill on there bucket list? if so I can helpIm keen if they are.got a great spot in mind.
    Dougie likes this.

On yer Jase, I was telling them about your ninja hunt with Vince. PM them.