Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Good First Time Rifle

Wait for a good second hand brno!
    kidmac42 likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Getting back on topic... what the use? I mean... second hand is good... New is nice...does that budget include optics?

The goatee is the giveaway- any bloke with a "flavour savour" or "soul patch" type facial hair is not to be trusted

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    At 6:30am at the service station its quite amusing watching some people ordering poofter mocha frappe reach around coffees with 6 sugars and extra marshmallows, you really wouldnt pick the tatted up goatee sporting brick layer for one, haha.
    JRW87 likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    When you divide the cost of a rifle and divide it by how many years most of us (several exceptions on here) keep said rifle then it works out pretty reasonable. So my advice is, save up and buy the very best quality rifle that suits you. It's not like buying a burger at McDonalds, the rifle will still be there many decades later unlike the burger which will be bobbing up and down in the sewage plant within 24 hours.
    jakewire and mikee like this.

HOWA.....I've never looked back

Go into a gun shop and handle a few rifles .
    I started with a cheap as out of the box Remington 770 with scope in full camo which has started falling off so it is now a camo with black patches .
    I then brought a A7 on a impulse because it was on sale and I was in a rush.
    Got rid of it for a Tikka which feels better when I bring it to my shouldar and I had some issues with A7 not holding a zero but I am 90% sure it was scope or mount issues but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Before that I just used my old fellas 303 and his assortment of guns.
    Wasnt until a mate took me into gun room up in Auckland and I tryed a heap of rifles and relised that some felt natural and others were crap for my body shape.
    By the way the cheap as 770 was a good gun and apart from wanting a nicer rifle it is all I really need for the Hunting shots I take.
    The scope thing took me a while to get my head around spending some decent money on one .
    After about 3 cheap ones a mate who was upgrading sold me his nearly new Leica ER 3.5 -14 x 42 which really opened my eyes up.
    just make sure you buy a 270

Also do not buy full camo as not only did I feel a bit of a dick hunting with it ,I also had trouble finding it on the ground once ( it was the only one in the shop)
    Last edited by Zamkiwi; 11-03-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    Love walking my gun