Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: GPS watch

Mate has one for his road running to gauge distance,runs the same road gets different readings every time,sometimes 300m difference,he borrowed my 60csx and got within 6m both times.wouldnt trust my life with one.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Mate has one for his road running to gauge distance,runs the same road gets different readings every time,sometimes 300m difference,he borrowed my 60csx and got within 6m both times.wouldnt trust my life with one.
    Shit that doesn't sound good

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We all got given Garmin Fenix 6 watches for Christmas
    Its a sweet piece of kit. Didn't think i would find it that useful but now I find it indispensable from a fitness point of view. (been trying to loose weight) To be honest iv not really messed with the GPS side of it so not sure what its capable of, but its a cool item nonetheless. Battery life is real good, maybe a month or so.
    There are some ballistics apps you can use with it aswell.
    buzzman likes this.

Both watches are stand-alone GPS units and both work very well. You can navigate to a preloaded location or backtrack to a saved location very easily and I've found them to be very accurate... typically within 3 metres. With the hills around here I find the altimeter to be very useful and on the Traverse the storm alarm gives you about 2 hours notice of impending bad weather. Enough time to head for shelter. The moon cycle is handy for hunting and fishing.

As mentioned above they're great for exercising and over lockdown my daily walk has been bluetoothed to my phone. Typically within 30 seconds the data is available to review on the likes of Strava or the Suunto App. The Fenix has heart monitoring in the watch whereas the Traverse requires a seperate sensor.

I don't see me ever going back to a "dumb" watch ever again. These things are just too handy.
    buzzman and 257weatherby like this.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    I have a Suunto and have recently replaced it with a Garmin Fenix 6X. They are handy for following a track back although I haven't tried in dense bush (I try to avoid that stuff). I find it handy to mark way points and then navigate back to them later (top of a slip or creek etc). All the storm warning, fitness tracking etc is really sorted too.

They have a standalone GPS, so don't rely on your phone. It's really quick to sync info back to your phone via Bluetooth to upload to strava etc if that's your thing too

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    buzzman and ChrisW like this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    I have a Suunto and have recently replaced it with a Garmin Fenix 6X. They are handy for following a track back although I haven't tried in dense bush (I try to avoid that stuff). I find it handy to mark way points and then navigate back to them later (top of a slip or creek etc). All the storm warning, fitness tracking etc is really sorted too.

They have a standalone GPS, so don't rely on your phone. It's really quick to sync info back to your phone via Bluetooth to upload to strava etc if that's your thing too

Does the 6x have solar charging? Very effective?

I like the look and function of the Garmin Instinct.
    For me it would be useful for training for a trip.
    The battery life has to be the key. Running the GPS on it sucks life, and that means you need to recharge it on a trip, so another power pack.
    My G-Shock is pretty bullet proof as a watch already.
    buzzman likes this.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Does the 6x have solar charging? Very effective?
    No, I didn't get the solar version. Apparently it will extend the battery life but not indefinitely (draw is greater than what solar puts back in).

I tend to wear my watch under my sleeve, particularly when hunting to stop glinting. Sometimes even wear a wristband over it for this reason. So solar wouldn't be that useful I thought

If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    What model watch? My suunto watch is every bit as accurate as my Garmin gps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a Garmin instinct, only really use the back track function if necessary.

Another thing that has been really helpful is the ability to project a bearing via landmark. I.e shooting across gully and marking where animal falls.

Been bloody brilliant in thick shit just following an arrow on screen.
    buzzman and Shadowsol like this.

Bos
    I got a Fenix 5 whichI find really useful when out on the hill. Provides all sorts of info but I've found the navigation side of it a bit challenging with my limited techno skills. Other thing is I cant read the detail on the topomap screen without my reading glasses, and I dont otherwise need them when out for a hunt
    buzzman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    I'm a shocka and would get lost in a sandpit, are gps watches any good worth the cost? Cheers

Please don't be to hard on me

The road will be about 200m from where you are hunting Buzz. Look for the headlights. A GPS is unnecessary.👍
    Gibo, Sika stag and planenutz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    The road will be about 200m from where you are hunting Buzz. Look for the headlights. A GPS is unnecessary.

Bos
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post

Or as the old man used to say, "Just keep walkin down hill, you'll come to a road eventually"
    buzzman likes this.

I've had a GPS watch for a while...a Garmin Epix, now a Fenix 5X sapphire (which I'm gonna sell), and soon a 6x Pro Solar (cos I like gadgets and birthday).

The Epix was a great watch with touchscreen that was excellent to use with maps. Could be a bit glitchy. The 5x works likes a charm, works under canopy too. Works well with the Basecamp software to put maps, waypoints or even Birdseye sat onto the watch.

I have mainly used mine for time to go to a hut, waypoint or back to the carpark. Flick GPS on then flick it off...battery has never been an issue. Handy right there on your wrist. I wouldn't go somewhere easy to get lost/bushed and just rely on any GPS watch. I also have a 66i that weighs nothing for what it brings and a dedicated PLB.
    buzzman, MB and ChrisW like this.