Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By akaroa1
  • 2 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 4 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 8 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Greener GP block problems

Greener GP block problems

So on Sunday I brought a lovely little greener mk1 GP shotgun, works a treat.
    For a little r&r this afternoon I grabbed a handful of random reloads and went to see have a tu tu.
    Had one blooper, checked and yep the wad was stuck in the barrel. No biggie grab a rod and tap it backwards thereby removing the wad but filling the action with damp unburnt powder effectively gumming it up.
    Oh well say I, strip it clean it out and have a look at the few moving parts it contains.
    Now I have a few martinis and know my way around stripping them the block came out with a little juggling but I'm buggered if any of the usual treatments will get it back in.
    So if anyone knows how to do it I would be very grateful if they could share the experience.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I take it you have lined the tumbler up with the lever ears and are holding you little finger between the lever and the body of the gun?
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Yep done all the usual tricks. You tube wasn't much help other to say they're not the same as MHs. I'm beginning to think I may have to turn it upside down install the block then everything else.
    norsk likes this.

you wiggled it out...so in theory it must be able to wiggle back in..there MUST be something that has moved..possibly an internal pin that has slipped out of main bit and hasnt slipped back in,so not allowing big bit to wiggle back..sort of like a stuck fireing pin stopping break open from open or closing.
    but Im guessing as havent a real clue...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I'm looking forward to hearing the solution to this problem
    Hope when you do get it in you know what the issue was
    Micky Duck likes this.

I recently had 20 tries at reassembling a Winchester 1876 single set trigger
    Totally wasted 2 hours of my life and learned something I will never need to know again
    Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

Doesn't help but the first time I pulled my A5 apart with no drawings or instructions I might add, was a debacle. Had a shit of a time getting it back together. Whatever I was thinking wasn't working.
    Put me off doing it ever again.
    Whenever I did it again it was easier and when I fixed it properly several years back, I must say it was pretty easy.
    Sometimes it pays to just walk away, have a beer/coffee and let the bugger of a thing think about what an ass it's being and invariably it seems to go together pretty well
    Good luck
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Doesn't help but the first time I pulled my A5 apart with no drawings or instructions I might add, was a debacle. Had a shit of a time getting it back together. Whatever I was thinking wasn't working.
    Whenever I did it again it was easier and when I fixed it properly several years back, I must say it was pretty easy.
    Sometimes it pays to just walk away, have a beer/coffee and let the bugger of a thing think about what an ass it's being and invariably it seems to go together pretty well
    Good luck
    Agreed
    I have a naughty corner in my workshop and I sit things there and take up another project while I think about the solution

There is a nery naughty barrel in that naughty corner at the moment
    We had some very stern words a few days ago.

Then a new rifle love of my life came along and it's been easy to ignor that problem

All shops need to be equipped with "a wailing chair"
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Good luck
    I have an a5 I know the pain. Ruger no 1s are also bastards, it's a credit to them that they should make something that should be so simple so bloody complicated and fiddly. They must employ octopai in their factories
    Micky Duck likes this.

After spending the night in the "naughty corner" we revisited the scene of the crime.
    Dropping the trigger and lever assembly out and turning the action upside down got the block in easy as. Turned on it's side it was fit the extractor and finally jiggle in the trigger lever assembly. The safety thwarted my first attempt but setting it to fire fixed that. It was then a simple job of aligning the tumbler and setting the keeper screws.
    Everything is freshly oiled and clean but now I know how to do it it's not something I intend repeating regularly.
    Next time I have a blooper I'll unscrew the barrel instead of going through that again.