Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gun shop recommendations for Hamilton?

Little Fox

Gun shop recommendations for Hamilton?

Sorry if this has been answered already -- I did search but didn't find anything.

I'm new to shooting guns (lots of experience shooting bows). I had the chance to shoot a friend's rifles a couple weeks ago, and now NEED to expand my repoitoire of weapons that can kill things far away I love my bow, but a rifle is something else.

I haven't got my FAL yet, so I'm planning to get an air rifle to learn basic marksmanship. However, I'll also be looking to get a .223 when I have my FAL (unless someone convinces me that another caliber is better).

I'd like to buy local, just so I can take the gun back if I need work done. So my question is, out of the tiny selection of places in Hamilton, is there anywhere that's particularly good (or particularly terrible)? I kind of distrust chains, so I'm not super keen on Hunting & Fishing. But maybe I'm just being silly. There's also a place on Kahikatea Drive that I haven't been to -- is it any good? Or is there anywhere else I don't know about? A lot of places still don't know how to list themselves on the internet ;P

Thanks in advance.

you have fish city which has a god deal at the moment that is buy a remington 700 and get a free marlin .22, there is another one just up the road from fish city but they are a bit on the steep side for some of the stuff, no use going to forlongs furnishings they have shares in the KY jelly factory when it comes to prices. If you want to travel to Te Awamutu there is hamills across from the warehouse and also Vern Wilson up the end of the main street across from the ford car yard and they both have a fairly good selection at present.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Little Fox
    Thanks, I appreciate it. That seems like a pretty sweet deal with the Remington 700 & Marlin .22. Unfortunately I've kinda already got my heart set on a Tikka T3 Hunter. I don't think you can get the 700 in left hand, which I need because I'm brain-damaged

Which (if any) of these places are willing/able to do custom work on a gun, like, I dunno, adding open sights without just saying, "Nah, can't be done because you can't order it that way from the factory"?

I wouldn't be too caught up on where to get the rifle, just call around and see who is willing to give the best deal. Most of them (if not all) will outsource any gunsmithing work anyway.

There are a number of very good gunsmiths around the country, with set price shipping (normally around $20) to get the rifle to their workshop, who will be able to do any work you need. There are even a few forum members that do top quality gunsmithing work who may be able to help you out.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

one of the higher regarded gunsmiths in newzealand would more be the thing I would be looking for if you want to do alterations, basically gunshops are just retailers that want to sell to you.

just cut out the middle man, save your self some money and buy thru trademe if you know what you want(or put it up on here so we can help) and watch magic happen.
    then send it to your selected gunsmith, so far I can reccomend Rod Woods, Robbie Tiffen(gunworks) and Mitch Maxberry.

I live in the far north and send my guns to wellington to Mitch Maxberry at the moment because I have found him to be top rate.
    Bryan and Happy like this.

Little Fox
    Awesome, thanks for the advice

I tell you what I'm looking for, is a T3 Hunter with both left hand action AND stainless barrel. Tikka doesn't make that, however, so I figure I'm going to have to actually source stainless components to swap out. I'm not very familiar with the construction of rifles though, so I don't know what's involved in that. I assume you'd have to replace the barrel and bolt.

If a noob like me were to source the correct parts, could he simply replace them himself?

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnonn View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the advice

I tell you what I'm looking for, is a T3 Hunter with both left hand action AND stainless barrel. Tikka doesn't make that, however, so I figure I'm going to have to actually source stainless components to swap out. I'm not very familiar with the construction of rifles though, so I don't know what's involved in that. I assume you'd have to replace the barrel and bolt.

If a noob like me were to source the correct parts, could he simply replace them himself?
    Buy the hunter model and stainless T3 model, then just swap the stock over, then sell the blued T3 Lite .
    veitnamcam likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Little Fox
    Sweet, thanks

What 7mm said or you could buy a Sako with open sights s/s walnut or spastic fantastic in left hand.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gun Traders have an interesting selection

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    What 7mm said or you could buy a Sako with open sights s/s walnut or spastic fantastic in left hand.

Yes do what Cam says ...Wait till you see that 85 Cam Just waiting for the stock to be finished by the refinisher

Fish city also carry tikkas dude so go and have a yarn with Gordon and see what he can do for you
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by Bnonn View Post
    Sorry if this has been answered already -- I did search but didn't find anything.

I'm new to shooting guns (lots of experience shooting bows). I had the chance to shoot a friend's rifles a couple weeks ago, and now NEED to expand my repoitoire of weapons that can kill things far away I love my bow, but a rifle is something else.

I haven't got my FAL yet, so I'm planning to get an air rifle to learn basic marksmanship. However, I'll also be looking to get a .223 when I have my FAL (unless someone convinces me that another caliber is better).

I'd like to buy local, just so I can take the gun back if I need work done. So my question is, out of the tiny selection of places in Hamilton, is there anywhere that's particularly good (or particularly terrible)? I kind of distrust chains, so I'm not super keen on Hunting & Fishing. But maybe I'm just being silly. There's also a place on Kahikatea Drive that I haven't been to -- is it any good? Or is there anywhere else I don't know about? A lot of places still don't know how to list themselves on the internet ;P

Thanks in advance.
    Go see Arthur at Cleland Gunsmith he can get you any rifle you want is a wealth of knowlege and a bloody good gunsmith. if you want him to import some thing just do it though your mate so by the time it turns up your FAL isnt far away

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Yes do what Cam says ...Wait till you see that 85 Cam Just waiting for the stock to be finished by the refinisher
    Awesome:thumbup: can't wait to see it.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Little Fox
    Haha, if only I had the money eh.