Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Gun Values

I know I haven't sold many that I've made money on
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I'm not sure I would say Blasers don't drop in value, I think they simply plateau in value with the second owner, but that first sale appears to be a doozie for the first seller as far as I can see.
    I think that is true of all rifles to an extent and many other things. the first owner takes the hit and depreciation is slow from there.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Good topic....

Agree with you on customising with regards to what it costs vs what you sell it for..... But the same goes for anything you can tinker with, cars, boats, bikes, dive gear, skis, surfboards etc., but it is a hobby/ interest, and it brings us enjoyment.

Dunno about factory rifles, the loss when you sell, depends purely on what you paid for it in the first place, ie, new or pre-loved.
    Generally it's the first owner that takes the hit, the second and subsequent owners no where near as much.

From what I've seen here and on TM, cleaned unmessed with factory gear sells reasonably well. I've seen some really nice upper end factory stuff that's been chopped, restocked or had minor mods take a long time to sell.

What's hot and what's not dictate buying and selling. Some guys get great deals, both buying and selling, by having patience ( I've got none) and right place , right time.

We've got so many choices these days compared to 45 years ago when I used to walk into Torchy Moore's Sports Store in Tokoroa and gaze at the row of sporterised .303's in the rack. Dads cousin in town had a Parker Hale 30-06....man, I thought he was flash.....nowadays ???

Good topic....

B
    Shootm, veitnamcam, 308 and 2 others like this.

Customs sell at a price point, what the percentage from new will be will depend a lot on what you paid for it in the beginning.
    I wonder what the price point will be for all the pug guns with abbreviated barrels that will start seeping into the market.

Ha shift sort of beat me to it.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I paid 1100 for a new t3 threaded.
    You brought a new gun, woo hoo. Off to range on saturday??

and I don't generally buy something, hang on to it for 5 minutes then sell it.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    You brought a new gun, woo hoo. Off to range on saturday??

and I don't generally buy something, hang on to it for 5 minutes then sell it.
    Well over a year ago (maybe even two?) for a mate who has held it but still not even fired a shot, hence my recommendation of a Tikka
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I'm a big fan of being the second, or subsequent, buyer and letting someone else take the initial hit. I'll tend to loiter about and pick up a good bargain.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Gun Values

I paid $1500 for a near new Tikka Hunter Stainless with Burris FF E1 3-9x40 recently. I figure about right pricing although maybe should have been closer to $1200, but it was exactly what I was looking for so justified the price, although wouldn't have paid a dollar more.
    Most guns I see for sale, especially beaten up sakos, are way over valued for the amount of use they've had. Until something becomes 'collectable' it should only depreciate.
    Incidentally, my 100 year old customised Carl Gustaf 6.5x55 is legitimately 'worth' way more in my eyes than most of the crap rifles we can buy today brand new off the shelf, but I know I couldn't sell it for more than $600 even with all the quality extras. Even average old SMLEs are selling for more! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mikee, Toby and Tommy like this.

If you think Guns are expensive to sell just look at other sports with expensive toys.

As for determining value factory wins everytime

res
    Custom anything is paying a large premium to get made, and as it's very unlikely to be spot on spec wise for the next owner you lose a LOT. This is why I have a few guns I hardly use but am unlikely to sell as they are still worth more to me than to anyone else.

People distrust modified anything, they wonder if the mod was a failure and that's why the item is for sale-even if they would consider getting the same mod done!

I used to buy and sell a lot of gun on trade embargo until the tax man and police decided I was a biz due to volume.
    Every so often a name brand factory gun comes up about half price-normally hardly used and with a buy now.
    Then bide your time and get 80% of new value.
    If it has a good scope then split and sell separate, this goes double if it's only a ok scope on a nice gun.

Tactcool toys built on the cheep cam sometimes get an impulse buyer to pay very high $, gun city seems to live on this.

Collectables are a whole different story, the net is making it very hard to know what something will sell for.
    GravelBen likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I'm not sure I would say Blasers don't drop in value, I think they simply plateau in value with the second owner, but that first sale appears to be a doozie for the first seller as far as I can see.
    Lack of competition will do that!
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quality and condition are the two major factors in maintaining a firearms value. Scarcity comes next.

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    Good topic....

Agree with you on customising with regards to what it costs vs what you sell it for..... But the same goes for anything you can tinker with, cars, boats, bikes, dive gear, skis, surfboards etc., but it is a hobby/ interest, and it brings us enjoyment.

Dunno about factory rifles, the loss when you sell, depends purely on what you paid for it in the first place, ie, new or pre-loved.
    Generally it's the first owner that takes the hit, the second and subsequent owners no where near as much.

From what I've seen here and on TM, cleaned unmessed with factory gear sells reasonably well. I've seen some really nice upper end factory stuff that's been chopped, restocked or had minor mods take a long time to sell.

What's hot and what's not dictate buying and selling. Some guys get great deals, both buying and selling, by having patience ( I've got none) and right place , right time.

We've got so many choices these days compared to 45 years ago when I used to walk into Torchy Moore's Sports Store in Tokoroa and gaze at the row of sporterised .303's in the rack. Dads cousin in town had a Parker Hale 30-06....man, I thought he was flash.....nowadays ???

Good topic....

B
    I bought my first rifles and shotguns from there.
    You must be as elderly as me.

I bought my .243 and u/o shot gun over 42 years ago,paid over 4 weeks wages for the .243 and I reckon both are worth more now than what I paid them.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    If you think Guns are expensive to sell just look at other sports with expensive toys.

As for determining value factory wins everytime
    Cricket bats go for $1K new and can last only a few games.....
    Cyclops likes this.