Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Guncity Scope, can it work for now

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    cheeky shit!!!! they made scopes even before Grandpamac was born!!!!1
    yes I have a precious photo of my old grandad taken back start first world war - shows his sniper division in Wellington ready to depart to Gallipoli - about 20 of them - one in front is holding a .303 looks like long tom with a long scope on it so there and yes after serving at Gallipoli and France he did come home but carried shrapnel behind his right eye for rest of his life after German sniper put bullet thru his spotting scope
    Micky Duck and blip like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled_puck View Post
    Goats for culling and deer for eating mainly, that's the plan at least. Not after big buck trophies.
    You can pick up a good second-hand Japanese-made 3-9x scope for $200-$280.
    The Bushnell Elite 3200, 3500 or 4200 models.
    Some of the Sightron 3-9x SI scopes were also Japanese-made and can be picked up for the same price.
    I'd personally buy one of those as soon as you can afford it, as it's just difficult to trust/know how long some of those GC Chinese scopes will last out on a deer/goat hunt.
    Bagheera likes this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled_puck View Post
    I bought my first rifle second hand and it came as a package, savage .223 with a synthetic stock, minor blemishes but happy so far.

The scope though, it's a 3-9 thing from gun city. Looked through the paperwork that came with the rifle and found the scope is this:
    https://www.guncity.com/gun-city-scope-3-9x40-377444

I've yet to take it hunting but my question is: must I replace it before I take it out? I really don't want to get eyes on game, then fluff the shot because my scope sucks or worse, wound the animal.

I'm not able to buy a scope right away but I have the patience to save up for one. Keen to hear all your thoughts as everywhere I look I see advice to spend as much on a scope as the rifle (and this clearly is not)
    When you have enough dollars to obtain that replacement scope save yourself a heap of time and look around for a tidy, used Leupold in a suitable power or variable range for your rifle. You can't go wrong as they're tough, well made optics that have stood the test of time. Be aware that some of their recent budget models are now made in Japan ( I think ? ) whereas every model previously was made in the USA. I'm not saying the Japan made models are no good, and Leupold's excellent warranty will back these too, but the USA made models are particularly highly regarded for their build quality.
    So, that will complete a good, reliable, initial set up for your hunting.
    There are certainly other very goods brands around with possibly better glass than Leupolds and if eventually you start acquiring a second or third rifle you will have the luxury of more time to consider scope options and choose something that tickles your fancy. Or, just stick with Leupolds and upgrade to their higher end models.
    Bagheera and Micky Duck like this.

Try it out on target and you’lll see if its ok for goats for now.
    If you can get 10cm 5 shot groups at 25 or 50 m and its still pretty close each time you test it thats good enough.
    When you get a chance, look through other brands and compare. Ive seen gs scopes you could barely make out the target through but if yours is reasonably clear then use it.
    Leupold is the benchmark and becausexof the lifetime warranty its fine yo buy a second hand one.
    Second tier well established better value for money brands are burris redfield tasco nikko Stirling.
    Newer brands stilll likely to be ok are sightron hawke vixen tract march you need to be prepared to replace them if problems .
    Expensive brands are swarovski zeiss kahles nighforce but dont get high end models of those till youre sure you are a mad keen hunter and well-off moneywise.
    Each brand has several levels of scope so if you cant afford a zeiss european metric model or the conquest usa market moa models go for a terra .

I found out pretty quick you want a decent scope, I got one in a package from hunting and fleecing when I first started and after taking it to the range I noticed the whole reticle would turn as you changed the magnification. I replaced that scope with a Bushnell elite 3200 about 16 years ago, about a month ago I noticed it had something growing on the inside of the lens, NZ Bushnell agent fixed it for free and its as good as new. I think you mainly run into issues using cheap scopes with high recoil rifles, .223 should be fine until you decide to upgrade unless you get unlucky and get a dud like I did.
    If I had to pick one brand It would be Leupold but Bushnell is a close second
    57jl and Micky Duck like this.

A lot of people can't decide if optics are good or not until they know what brand they are.
    Scrub the Gun city name off it and see what people's opinions of it are after that.
    I have a set of Cabelas brand compact binoculars. When people ask who made them I just say "Cabelas get their gear made by top Euro companies but I'm not sure who made these" and leave it at that.
    And all of a sudden they are top end glasses.
    The made in Japan label should bugger my story but it doesn't seem to.
    Micky Duck and woods223 like this.
    Overkill is still dead.