Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Gunsmith trouble - need the member's opinions

Hello. Sorry to see this. I'd say your reciever is toast, it would pay to check with some other gunsmiths but I'd say the weld job alone would be grounds for refusal of proof in any CIP jurisdiction.
    nor-west, Moa Hunter and csmiffy like this.

Not a gunsmith at all but if you had no other choice the first option is sort of what I would do.
    BUT I would make a threaded plug and either sweat it in (my choice due to my inexperience) or maybe run a quick tig weld around the top and dress it back.
    Back one would be fine but bit worried about welding that front ring. Dont know that's legit at all. Maybe with the right heat sink paste etc
    Then drill and tap it properly with small screws. Like a big helicoil
    Always know it's been done though but hate to see something like that scrapped
    gundoc may have some pertinent advice on this
    Moa Hunter likes this.

MSL
    Might aswell weld the bases on, given the Swiss cheese nature of the reciever. At least it’s be aligned then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Guess you could get the second smith to machine a new block with off centre screw holes.
    Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.

ebf
    I recognize the workshop... that's the second smith ? Should have gone there to start with

In my experience he is one of the few guys who manages to align things correctly.

With that type of evidence I would expect my money back...
    Brian, Puffin and Micky Duck like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Guess you could get the second smith to machine a new block with off centre screw holes.
    That's a good idea too but what a pita getting bases in the right place if the bottom holes are that far out

What a mess.
    Im not sure what your rights are in this situation but I would expect them to either.

Pay someone competent to repair it properly (probably cost more than the action is worth)

Refund the value of the action or source another like for like.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hello. Sorry to see this. I'd say your reciever is toast, it would pay to check with some other gunsmiths but I'd say the weld job alone would be grounds for refusal of proof in any CIP jurisdiction.
    Yep, based on the 'workmanship' on display I would have questions about the weld. What if they've done something really stupid like bring the front receiver ring to cherry red with oxy-acetylene during their attempts? Unlikely you'd think, but I'd suggest normal expectations don't apply here...
    csmiffy likes this.

Wow Holy fuk. Lmao look at how far out of wack the first attempt is ffs. Piss poor mate, I'd be tempted to beat him over the head with it, he's completely fuxord a good reciever. Be good to know how it was so I can stay clear as it looks like your local, by pm if ya could.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Small Claims Court will be the process to follow but get all your ducks in a row before the big day.
    Rich007, tetawa, hamsav and 2 others like this.

I think I could have done better with string line, battery drill and a hammer. WOW
    FRST, Micky Duck and superdiver like this.

I have a bolt whose gunsmithing "work" matches your reciever.
    My advice is pay a proper gunsmith to do it properly will save a lot of heartache.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    It’s fucked. They’ve had two goes at it, they’re not going to suddenly get it bang on. All money refunded, and definitely a new like for like reciever. The cheek of them to let that leave the shop let alone send an invoice......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not exactly a good ‘advertisement’ for the firm eh...
    FRST likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    It might in theory anyway be possible to do a full anneal and re heat treat it, but that makes it worth more than a replacement receiver. You pay for a straight set of holes bore aligned, and get that back - hmm. Apprentice was off sick and the boss put down the pen paper and coffee mug haha?
    There is a risk that the full anneal will leave the action slightly warped / out of true, exacerbating the problems. Also, someone highly competent would have to do it - if the first crowd can't be trusted to weld the holes properly, do you really want to test their annealing skills with around 60,000PSI 2 inches from your right eye?
    FRST likes this.

Really sad given the action make. I would have thought getting scope bases straight would be relatively ‘bread and butter’ for a good gunsmith and easier on a Mauser given the flat base/reference point.

I think we are all crystal ball gazing on this. Take it to Alan Carr who probably understands Mausers better than anyone else in NZ.
    Micky Duck and Pushover like this.