Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hard case for transporting rifles

ebf
    Pelican is the way to go. Buy once, cry once... A good 2nd hand deal comes up on here every couple of months. Airline baggage limit is generally 23kg, I've had several rifles in my pelican case and it did not go over the limit.

The best thing you can do for the cheaper plastic cases is to upgrade the internal foam to a very high density version.

Para Rubber is where I normally get the spare foam.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I was thinking keyboard case. Bit chunky though.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...2004851647.htm
    I have used similar cases for other gear (lighting equipment many jobs ago...) and they are not light. It has wheels for a reason....Definitely well protected

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    i have a steel case, a pelican, and a cheap plano. the pelican can take 3 rifles so I use that when I bring 3 rifles with me, it is also very sturdy that i use it as a shooting rest. I like it over thr steel case because i worry that steel case would get rust if exposed to the elements

1-day https://www.1-day.co.nz/products/tsu...ual-gun-case-1 or https://www.1-day.co.nz/products/tsu...gle-gun-case-1
    I was surpised. They are not flimsy.Sure, not pelican case drive over it strong but plenty strong enough & better than the gun shop $130-$200 cases.
    Look here for more info https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....le-case-48371/
    canross likes this.

One thing to keep in mind with the 1750’s Sam is they only JUST fit across the back seat of a lot of cars if the boot/Ute tray is full.

In saying that, theyre light years ahead of the junky cheaper ones but could arguably be considered overkill for a lot of situations.
    The Claw and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    One thing to keep in mind with the 1750’s Sam is they only JUST fit across the back seat of a lot of cars if the boot/Ute tray is full.

In saying that, theyre light years ahead of the junky cheaper ones but could arguably be considered overkill for a lot of situations.
    Yeah the 1750 just fits in the Ranger...not in hilux
    Have you considered the Skb cases imo there as good as the pelican and storms I've had

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    The Claw likes this.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Yeah the 1750 just fits in the Ranger...not in hilux
    Have you considered the Skb cases imo there as good as the pelican and storms I've had

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    I might be able to sneak into the size down from the 1750 if I reduce the length of pull or remove the recoil pad before packing the rifle in the case. It only takes 5 seconds to do so not an issue to end up with a shorter rifle if I can drop a case size. I'll have a look at the SKB cases too. Cheers

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

If you decide to go with the 1750 let me know mate. Pretty sure I’ve got one laying around I dont use anymore. Pretty sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    If you decide to go with the 1750 let me know mate. Pretty sure I’ve got one laying around I dont use anymore. Pretty sure.
    Cheers mate, I might be in touch

Zarges makes very good cases that you can fill with your own foam.
    Being alloy they are lighter than the Peli cases
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

How do folk cut the foam all nicely in there hard cases?
    Ive heard of different ways of doing it, but they all ultimately look like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Ive heard of different ways of doing it, but they all ultimately look like crap.
    Someone had a thread on here just a week or 2 ago about it I think. Or maybe it was on another US forum... I can't exactly remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    You can make a hot wire cutter using a battery and fine stainless wire pretty easily. I personally wouldn't make a mains-power one unless I knew what I was doing (I don't). If you want it to last a bit longer gut an old toaster for the element wire - it's built to handle the heat. Had a big mains power guillotine style one (built by someone else) for doing hard foam insulation that was fantastic. Worked off a dimmer switch to control temperature and was made out of plywood and plumbing pipe. I suspect it was actually made from a toaster from the parts I could see. Ended up making the smaller hand cutter to cut the insulation to fit around oddball shapes like outlets, studs etc.
    Edit - I stand corrected... mains power looks pretty easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCbEeW_n7OU

On that note - where do people get their foam from? Para Rubber's prices suggest their foam is made from unicorns and pure platinum. There has to be a wholesaler or marine supply that does it for cheaper.
    Last edited by canross; 31-03-2019 at 12:17 PM.