Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Hardy Custom Rifle Review

Quote Originally Posted by .300 RUM Guy View Post
    Through personal experience I can tell you first hand, it's neigh upon impossible to find a good competent gun smith/builder within New Zealand, that can slap together a rifle with any degree of accuracy worth writing home about, and I've been through the best of them, believe you me, and 'yes' brother Dan's been one of them!
    Well I must be very lucky.
    I've got two 308 FTR rifles built with NZ components with the help of a NZ gunsmith using Barnard actions & True-Flite barrels.

Both rifles are competitive and accurate. Perhaps these are the exceptions to the comment above.
    Kiwi Greg and zimmer like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Yeah but fu$k knows how to post one!
    Ha ha. You're a tech retard.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Funnily enough I have had probably a dozen rifles built over the years and all from several different people, built stocks and rebarrelled others and all of them have shot well given the spec of the components used and the type of weapon they are...

building rifles isn't rocket science and its not complex machining work. It simply requires solid execution of basics.

Jimmy six cocks. I may be a tech retard but you're a..........fucktard!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Jimmy six cocks. I may be a tech retard but you're a..........fucktard!
    I am waiting eagerly for special Jimmy to post a pic.....just because he can😆

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    camo wsm likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post
    I work in the motor trade (Toyota) and i know we put an order through for a Land Cruiser 200 at the same time as I ordered this. In the same period the order has been processed, vehicle made, shipped from Japan and is now with the customer.

If we fucked a customer around as much as they have we would be throwing money, vouchers, accessories etc at them.
    The trouble with that theory is, what 'they' (gun builders, or any retailer, such as yourself, for example) are up against is this... they know full well it's gonna take 6 months (or more) to do your job, why hell, they've got orders from here to Africa, and you're just a speck in the ocean, and you mean NOTHING to them. If they went round telling the customer "hey, it's gonna take six months", then what would you (the consumer) do???

I'm mindful of a rifle I ordered back in, oh, 2005, I think it was, from Reloader's Supplies. They had to import it from the States, 'simple dimple'! Ron Dent told me that, because of the 911 terrorist attacks, it's gonna now take 3 months to land... it's that simple, can't do nothing about it I took a deep gasp, not too dissimilar to landing in a pool of cold water, then went ahead and placed my order! Nine months to the day that I placed my order, the thing actually arrived at my door! Grasp that people "NINE MONTHS"! I mean, it was a complete rifle, already built, in the States, all they had to do was ship it! (and just for the record 'NO', I didn't get any money thrown at me, gift vouchers, accessories, accolades or even any free ammo)

I told a workmate about the fact that I was told "three" months, and he straightway replied, 'stuff that, I'd be telling them to shove it', based on only the three months, let alone nine! You see, we're Kiwi's, and we want things done ASAP (preferably yesterday) therefore it's a delicate balancing act of telling the customer 'porkies' (what he thinks the customer wants to hear) and hopefully getting them committed, and then leading the customer for on as long as they possibly can, or, telling the customer the truth, up front, and risk having the customer bolt, and going elsewhere, and buying something different! I mean, you yourself have already stated, in a previous post, that the "only reason I went with Hardy is because they said they could turn it around for the roar"!

Dead right. An update for you all. The rifle is on its way to me. Had a call from Ian who put his hand up and admitted it wasnt good enough and was too long. He threw some stuff in to butter me up a bit, which is appreciated.

I will let you know how the thing shoots.

ian is a top man to deal with I have found.
    I have had great customer service from him personally.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

So i have just got the rifle back. Finish looks good. Ian put in the targets from his range session when he sighted it in and did the drop chart. Now he said is range was flooded so he shot from sand bags off the truck. in saying that the targets were not impressive at all. The best group was 1" with the other 3 groups being 1.4". Would expect better from a rifle that has had a chamber specifically made for that bullet. I hope with more shooting it settles down and shoots better. Name:  IMG_5601.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  826.9 KB
    Kahle likes this.

$5k+ for one inch groups after load development. Ouch.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
    von tempsky fan, bully and 6x47 like this.

na thats not a full blown rifle. Just the barrel. $1600 for the barrel plus the rifle

So i have just got the rifle back. Finish looks good. Ian put in the targets from his range session when he sighted it in and did the drop chart. Now he said is range was flooded so he shot from sand bags off the truck. in saying that the targets were not impressive at all. The best group was 1" with the other 3 groups being 1.4". Would expect better from a rifle that has had a chamber specifically made for that bullet. I hope with more shooting it settles down and shoots better. Attachment 69919
    And you sold the factory barrel before you shot it ???? Bugger....

Haha yes i did indeed. ill put another box or two through it and get back to you.

Haha yes i did indeed. ill put another box or two through it and get back to you.
    Thanks, Good luck you will need it

R93
    So i have just got the rifle back. Finish looks good. Ian put in the targets from his range session when he sighted it in and did the drop chart. Now he said is range was flooded so he shot from sand bags off the truck. in saying that the targets were not impressive at all. The best group was 1" with the other 3 groups being 1.4". Would expect better from a rifle that has had a chamber specifically made for that bullet. I hope with more shooting it settles down and shoots better. Attachment 69919
    I haven't read the whole thread so I may have missed it. What caliber is the rifle?

And to put your mind at ease if you don't already know, proper load development can take ages depending on what your expectations are.

If it shoots close to an inch now I reckon with the right attention it will shoot better again.

I doubt they would have had the time to have tested several projectile, powder and primer combos.

I have a carbon wrapped barrel that will shoot from 1" with one load down to ridiculously small with another using the same class projectile.

It might end up like mine and only shoot 1 projectile extremely well but shoot another couple of brands adequately for hunting.

Looks to be a nice job on the barrel and I am sure you will get it shooting how you want.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Tahr and Nickoli like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.