Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 5 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 9 Post By shift14
  • 1 Post By Nick-D
  • 1 Post By keengunNic
  • 2 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By keengunNic
  • 1 Post By keengunNic
  • 1 Post By rogers.270

Thread: Hardy hybrid 6.5 prc to 308 short barrel

Hardy hybrid 6.5 prc to 308 short barrel

Hi all, straight to point I guess. I've got a hardy hybrid rifle with 6.5 prc and 308 barrels, broken in as per hardys instructions.
    When the 6.5 prc barrel is on this thing shoots insane. Hand loads 1/2 moa or better and even out to 900yards she's on. 24inch, 1.8 twist 143eldx. Bang on @100 yards target
    Now I go put the 308 barrel on, the poi shift is 7moa to the right, 1 moa higher but that's cool.
    Barrel is 17inch 1.9 twist. 165 sierra TGC
    Question is does that 7moa poi shift sound normal?? Even the group sizes are pretty shit tbh, SD and ES are amazing though. Anyone else with a similar hybrid combo have similar results? I definitely will try some factory precision hunter 178eldx etc.
    Cheers 🍻

Caretaker
    Talk to Hardy

A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Talk to Hardy

Good luck with that ……

B

Yeah get hardy to have a look. 7moa seems like a pretty big shift, although I'm not super familiar with swap barrel system tolerances. Barrel thread or face not cut square and binding could cause both the poi shift and poor accuracy.
    Rickybaker likes this.

Yeah will definitely have a chat with them, cheers

How are you re installing the barrel? I found standing it vertically and doing up the barrel clamp screws a pretty repeatable method and i just dial the offset. Mine is always a little higher with the carbon barrel vs the heavy steel
    Rickybaker likes this.

I've helped out a couple of people who had gotten the GameChangers. One in 6mm and one in 7mm. They were fussy bullets in both - extremely sensitive to seating depth, far more so than powder charge - so I'm not surprised to hear of someone say they're shooting poorly in their 30cal too.
    veitnamcam and Rickybaker like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by keengunNic View Post
    How are you re installing the barrel? I found standing it vertically and doing up the barrel clamp screws a pretty repeatable method and i just dial the offset. Mine is always a little higher with the carbon barrel vs the heavy steel
    Just when it's on a bipod, but your idea sounds real good. When the prc barrel goes on and off it returns bang on each time. Same as the 308 just always 7moa to the right. I'll try some heavier projectiles 180 grain just to see if the 1.9 twist barrel is to much for the 165 gainers. Cheers for your help ��

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    I've helped out a couple of people who had gotten the GameChangers. One in 6mm and one in 7mm. They were fussy bullets in both - extremely sensitive to seating depth, far more so than powder charge - so I'm not surprised to hear of someone say they're shooting poorly in their 30cal too.
    Cheers mate, yeah I'm definitely changing projectiles. Might look at heavier around 180grain just to see if this 1.9 twist suits that better. Cheers though thanks for the help

Honestly though, the difference in my barrels points of impact are about 2mrad to the left or right, i have written the offsets down on tape and stuck it to the underside of the barrel that sits in the barrel channel. Using the offests have always worked well for me. I shot one of the PRS matches last year with my 6 creed barrel, finished up, threw my 7 SAUM barrel in, dialed my known offsets and went hunting. Shot two sika hinds at little over 650m. Its a good reliable system but theres just not enough education about it from hardys. Id not freak out too much if you have 7moa difference, just learn it and call it good. As for the accuracy, test some different projectiles, the 195eldm gets me pretty erect, id try that in the 9 twist
    Rickybaker likes this.

And if you want a 223 barrel kit, let me know. Ive got one for sale at the moment, cheap as chips and shoots bloody well!
    Rickybaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by keengunNic View Post
    Honestly though, the difference in my barrels points of impact are about 2mrad to the left or right, i have written the offsets down on tape and stuck it to the underside of the barrel that sits in the barrel channel. Using the offests have always worked well for me. I shot one of the PRS matches last year with my 6 creed barrel, finished up, threw my 7 SAUM barrel in, dialed my known offsets and went hunting. Shot two sika hinds at little over 650m. Its a good reliable system but theres just not enough education about it from hardys. Id not freak out too much if you have 7moa difference, just learn it and call it good. As for the accuracy, test some different projectiles, the 195eldm gets me pretty erect, id try that in the 9 twist
    Thanks heaps for the info bro, bloody awesome!!
    The tape idea is great, ill be doing that for sure.
    Will definitely be loading up the heavier projectiles and report back.
    Thanks heaps, good to hear from someone that owns one, cheers

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    POI change with barrel change is nothing to be freaking about. if its not grouping try a different load. mine shoots insane and Hardy are always happy to talk.
    Rickybaker likes this.
    Addicted to gun powder