Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Help needed .re suppressor laws in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    And mention Bushfire safety ie no muzzle flash = no ignition source.safety,safety,safety.
    Actually that's a bloody good idea! Fire is a huge threat here and that would help. But greenies would then ask for restrictions on hunter in fire season
    Last edited by Malleeshooter; 01-03-2013 at 08:28 PM.

When I heard that from a friend re supressors in OZ I couldn't believe it, they are cheap and chups here and common as mud...
    I couldnt image a life without one...
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Malleeshooter

If you havnt already, the first person you need to talk to is Robert Borsak, who is an MP for the Ausi Shooters Party (wish we had one!) and heavily involved in the NSW Game Council?

On the NZ side, I suggest you contact Joe Green in the Police Headquarters who is the main liason person between NZ Police and NZ gun owners.

The other person who will have good knowledge on suppressors is Mike Spray, who was until recently the head of Firearms Safety with the NZ Mountain Safety Council (who are subcontracted to the NZ Police to provide firearms safety training for the licencing programme). I believe Mike has now taken up a similar position on the NSW Game Council...our loss and your gain!

Good luck

Grant

dosent forum member Homer live in camberra and make suppressors?

Saves your hearing (and the cost to the healthcare system around hearing loss), stops pissing off local land owners, no muzzle flash (so no fire).

It just makes it a lot easier to enjoy shooting without being concerned that your pissing the neighbours off... even if they're a K away.

Good luck mate, it's a good cause. Some of the US is making slow progress towards allowing them for hunting. We're quite lucky over here.

Be careful how you present your argument. You don't wan't them to turn around and say that you must wear a specified standard of hearing protection all the time.

How many firearm crimes have been committed using a suppressor in NZ or other countries where they are legal ?

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

One that I can think of. Anthony Dixon (?).

I thought he was sword and shotgun?
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by NZVarminter View Post
    Malleeshooter

If you havnt already, the first person you need to talk to is Robert Borsak, who is an MP for the Ausi Shooters Party (wish we had one!) and heavily involved in the NSW Game Council?

On the NZ side, I suggest you contact Joe Green in the Police Headquarters who is the main liason person between NZ Police and NZ gun owners.

The other person who will have good knowledge on suppressors is Mike Spray, who was until recently the head of Firearms Safety with the NZ Mountain Safety Council (who are subcontracted to the NZ Police to provide firearms safety training for the licencing programme). I believe Mike has now taken up a similar position on the NSW Game Council...our loss and your gain!

Good luck

Grant
    Hi would be kind enough to get me the details of Mr Green? I have had my local MP trying to get some changes through but the police commissioner is apparently dead against it. I am wondering whether a letter from a fellow police officer may be able to help IR cause.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    How many firearm crimes have been committed using a suppressor in NZ or other countries where they are legal ?

Ken
    Very few I would think, but maybe David Bain? They proberly are too bulky for most crims needs.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

Ejected
    You have a two fold attack when it comes to suppressors for professional use and (sorry, can't bring myself to type those three letters).
    1) Of course the sound thing, and not just the shooter who becomes a deaf bastard so the government picks the bill up for that, but others in the general area. And that can include houses etc as people can get a lot cranky when there is loud shooting going on in their area.
    2) Remembering this is targeting professional use, follow up shots are available when using one that are not possible without. Namely if your state/federal government is paying for that work to be done it's more economical for them. (They just LOVE that shit) but it's true.

If you want send a couple of reps over and I'll take them out for two nights. One with the can the other without, once they hear that .223 go off a few hundred times in the night they may have a very different view on it all.
    By the way, seems most 'gun crime' involves sawn off shotguns.....

Footnote: I do this for a job and have bad hearing after years of no suppressor.

I have a contact over here that is permitted to use, own and make suppressors and he is willing to help in any way. He is in pest control so that's how he got it. From what I have read, for the average farmer, shooter etc the hassle is just not worth it. But may give it a crack to see. Anyway does anyone have this email? I have one ready to fire off to him. He is a police officer yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    One that I can think of. Anthony Dixon (?).
    Nah, it was John Barlow using a suppressed pistol to shoot Gene and Eugene Thomas in Wellywood.
    Welcome to Sako club.