Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Home made safe

I've got this available if someone is looking to make their own safe...

Made of 50x50mm SHS with 40x40mm SHS shelves. Steel, not Ali. Dimensions are 176x102x72cm. Pickup Auckland. No idea what it's worth - PM me an offer.

Alternatively, it would make an epic smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I've got this available if someone is looking to make their own safe...

Made of 50x50mm SHS with 40x40mm SHS shelves. Steel, not Ali. Dimensions are 176x102x72cm. Pickup Auckland. No idea what it's worth - PM me an offer.

Alternatively, it would make an epic smoker.
    I just realised I still haven't built a smoker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, E and B

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Yes, E and B
    Did you have to get the safe certified by an engineer?
    Are the ross locks regular house door type dead locks?
    Of the 5 lever persuasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I built mine, passed every inspection and the AO would be happy to put me through for endorsements but I really don't have the interest. I built it to B/C/E standard if/when I get the desire later on. If anyone wants the basic plan, I can sketch it up - a simple case of getting 6mm folded up in a brake and then the plate guillotined out in the right sizes. I welded it up at home using a basic single phase buzz box, this was prior to the cheap migs and inverter arcs. Pretty easy process, and the end result is a very professional and difficult to defeat design with internal hinges, recessed door and clean appearance... The locks are 5-lever security cartridge type, you weld the supplied braket inside the door and file a hole for the key and slide the lock in and secure it.
    I did much the same except not to B/C/E standard. Maybe missed an opportunity there. Still ended up bloody heavy and difficult to get into place. Rolled it around and in on water pipe cut offs.

Has internal heater controlled by thermostat, small fluro, and wired to house alarm. Fully painted the inside white with rattle cans, many!

Originally was going to use Ross locks but paid extra and got Abloy - keyed unalike.

AO on recent inspection hardly looked at it which I took to mean it was good as, hopefully.

I started out with internal hinges but once I got it all done I tested them and was able to force a crow bar into the gap and spring the hinges. I then changed to very small external hinges, to just support and swing the door (misleading to a crook when viewed from the outside and would give them a false sense of hope) and installed 3 heavy lugs on the back of the door that engage inside the safe as the door is closed. I have seen a length of angle iron welded the full height of the door used for the same purpose. I also installed pins on the lock side of the door that engage with the frame on that side as the door is closed. Also designed the door opening direction so that the lock side is up against the wall in the corner and it is harder to get purchase with a crow bar.
    gadgetman and Tommy like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    There was info about security on one of the bits of paper that came with my FAL renewal letter (other side of the voluntary serial number sheet), it says "...the normal acceptable standard currently is a steel (3mm) cabinet of sound construction with a good lock which is firmly attached to the building."
    My father was told by the AOL in another area that security requirements were going to get tougher, and the word "currently" suggests that too if you are the suspicious type.
    At my interview/inspection, the vetter was not happy having ammo and bolts in the lockable compartment inside the gun safe, or the lockable rack system.

There's something to be said about the good old DIY, and I think you're doing a great, tidy job. Having said that, ten years or so ago I just bought an 'E' CAT safe, even though I was then, and am still currently, only an 'A' CAT holder. My psyche being that of Kiwi Greg's signature 'Overkill is underated', and it looks very shortly like we'll all be needing 'E' CAT safes, with our humble 'sporting semis' all being lumped into the same category as MSSAs.
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I did hear of a jail that had hollow bars with round HSS stock down the middle.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can remember Elvis Presley singing a song about that
    It went something like:

I went for a piss in the county jail
    I ripped my balls on a rusty nail
    When I got home I got a hell of a shock
    Coz all I had left was half a cock, well lets rock, half a cock!

Haven't got much further lately but managed to buzz in the door rebates . Got one door cut out and the hinge design is finalised. Also investing in a mig welder this week for other jobs aswell but will help a lot on this project. Has gained plenty of weight at this point but can lift easy enough by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk