Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Rushy

Thread: How do you prevent rust in your gun safe?

How do you prevent rust in your gun safe?

Evening all

Kind of a basic question at first glance but despite employing most of the obvious techniques I am still finding slight surface rusting, mainly on a Baikal single shot but also surprisingly on a Tikka SS.
    Im very generous with gun oil (G96) and have even slathered on grease on the baikal, run a dehumidifier in the wardrobe where the safe is yet still confronted with it. Next step,is to try and rig up a light bulb I guess to keep guns warm.
    It’s annoying as putting me off buying anything blued in case it goes rusty.
    Cheers

Your not touching the metal work at all when putting them back in the safe? My skins juice is killer for rusting rifles I have to carry them back to the safe with an oily rag . No joke I’m not having issues anymore so long as I don’t touch the metal work

Cheers Kelton
    I do try to just hold by the stock when putting back. On the Baikal it seems to be just the same few areas time and time again.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/dampchase...eater_p0448989

Cut the plug off, drill a hole in your safe, feed the cord through then rewire the plug or any aftermarket plug
    I mounted mine at the bottom just under the door as if it would be stepped over if you could walk into the safe, if that makes sense

I've run mine continuously for about 5 years now, no problem

The other one I've seen is wiring up a bulb batten and putting incandescent bulbs in - means more changing the bulb out

Whilst you are waiting to get around to doing this some crystal cupboard drying packets will help - Damprid I think is the brand?
    Last edited by 308; 16-07-2022 at 12:14 AM. Reason: sp

Well oiled guns for storage I use Engine oil I like it because it’s really thick and stays on for long term and clp for regularly used firearms like my target rifles
    I do a spring clean every few months maybe 4 times a year when i pull everything out and re coat
    I live on the coast things just rust here plus im in an older home not the driest air in the world
    I do not have any issues with guns rusting
    If I ever have (a couple of times) it’s been my Fault

I keep damp rid in the safe as-well which helps alot

One thing that really worked well for me was a mechanical timer and a small wall fan. Air movement at certain times of the day do wonders. Mine was set for the fan to run for a few hours before dawn and a few hours in the evening as it cooled- longer in winter. Adding warmth like a bulb only worked until the bulb is turned off then the temp changes which is the root cause of atmospheric condensation.

If it is a small locker (up to a foot or so wide...) just a small cooling fan will often be enough. And fans dont suck a huge amount of power.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

SLR
    I use 20/50 motor oil on guns that dont get much use but generally i check all of them weekly during winter. Its less of an issue in the warmer months.

As said above, keep the temperature constant.
    If the safe is in your bedroom, it might suffer from the moisture that two adults breath into the air, might be over thinking that one though.

I use Ballistol in everything, as it is good for woodwork. I never have to worry about harming the wood with too much oil.
    And it smells like nectar.
    Better than Waikato @Rushy
    Last edited by 40mm; 16-07-2022 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Spellin
    Use enough gun

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    And it smells like nectar.
    Better than Waikato @Rushy
    There isn’t any rust in my safe and nor is there on my body. The miracle elixir Waikato has no equal.
    308 and 40mm like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    All you panseys who go on about how bad Waikato is and how it makes you shit. Drinking a crate of Ballistol would make you shit way worse than Waikato.
    But that shit would smell so good, and probably make decent firelighters.
    Use enough gun