Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: How does this fit In with the range of calibers

personally I'm a 243 fan, have a custom one with a 1:8 barrel and it will do great things with the 100-110 gr VLD type bullets and would not feel I'm in an uphill battle against a 6.5 for target work or NZ game out to 500 mtr (maybe not a large red stag or wap).
    I don't shoot enough to be confident in taking game much past 400 mtr anyway. If I did I would have to look at the larger 7mm's, Did shoot a 300 win Mag recently that was much nicer than I expected, Could drag me in.. (Good stock, Can and not ultra lite.)

So OK I'm going to revise my options. 22RF, 243, and then something larger and fun. You obviously have an interest in the classics. so 7x61S&H or 7x64. That gives a decent separation between calibers.
    Or jump to something completely different, 30/30 lever, 35 cal (358 win or 35 Whelen 35-06), 45/70, None of these will give you any more long range energy than the 243 but will give more killing performance inside 2-300 mtr for large game.
    Z

northdude
    You just reminded me I've got a 30 30 as well. Shit when I get out of here I better check and see what else is hidden in the safe theres a couple of 303s as well
    Moa Hunter and Padox like this.