Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: How much does a 270Win suck in 2019?

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Get a 270 James, sorry but I don't think you're cool enough for a 30-06
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Jit
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Get a 270 James, sorry but I don't think you're cool enough for a 30-06
    Now yer talkin
    Steve123 likes this.

Is the fishing that bad that you need to ask silly questions to get some bites
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

My first rifle was a Ruger M77 in .270 too. I think the recoil velocity was faster than the muzzle velocity, took a couple of years to overcome that flinch!
    More meplat, more better.

I'd buy one
    Double Shot likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

More than a k road hooker on a Friday evening

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Get a 260, you'll still be jealous of your mate if you dont

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and 25/08IMP like this.

Funny you say that as I have a great little model 7 in 260 for sale...

I will reply on the premise that James is serious.

Firstly, I meat hunted with a guy who used a .270 Ruger wood ultralight. 20" pencil barrel. It shot really well and I don't recall it ever failing.

In the last 10 years I have had 2 .270 wsm's. The first was an A7 which shot very well and flattened the dozen or so deer I shot with it using 150grn LRAB's at 3150 fps. It was ok to shoot without a suppressor, but far more pleasant with one. I re-barrelled it to 300saum which is fine and dandy, and I was happy.

Then a Browning xbolt in 270wsm came up that was attractively priced and I came over all funny. This one I clipped back to 22". Made for a tidier rifle. It blasted over a few deer using 150grn Bergers at 3050fps, and then I tried 130grn Barnes tipped LRX for no particular reason. These shoot holes into holes and bowl along at 3250 fps, and kill like lightning. Loving the combination - so much so that Im splashing out for a carbon stock for the Xbolt. The longest shot with the LRX has been 380 yards and it poll axed the deer with an angled shoulder shot - its likely that the bullet is still travelling if it hasn't hit a concrete wall yet.

I reckon that a 22" ordinary .270 shooting the 130 LRX at 3100 fps would be devastating and pleasant enough to shoot, and if you add a suppressor it doesn't need to be a heavier magnum one. But I'm totally happy with my .270wsm (and 5 my other rifles).
    nor-west, tetawa and dannyb like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I will reply on the premise that James is serious.

Firstly, I meat hunted with a guy who used a .270 Ruger wood ultralight. 20" pencil barrel. It shot really well and I don't recall it ever failing.

In the last 10 years I have had 2 .270 wsm's. The first was an A7 which shot very well and flattened the dozen or so deer I shot with it using 150grn LRAB's at 3150 fps. It was ok to shoot without a suppressor, but far more pleasant with one. I re-barrelled it to 300saum which is fine and dandy, and I was happy.

Then a Browning xbolt in 270wsm came up that was attractively priced and I came over all funny. This one I clipped back to 22". Made for a tidier rifle. It blasted over a few deer using 150grn Bergers at 3050fps, and then I tried 130grn Barnes tipped LRX for no particular reason. These shoot holes into holes and bowl along at 3250 fps, and kill like lightning. Loving the combination - so much so that Im splashing out for a carbon stock for the Xbolt. The longest shot with the LRX has been 380 yards and it poll axed the deer with an angled shoulder shot - its likely that the bullet is still travelling if it hasn't hit a concrete wall yet.

I reckon that a 22" ordinary .270 shooting the 130 LRX at 3100 fps would be devastating and pleasant enough to shoot, and if you add a suppressor it doesn't need to be a heavier magnum one. But I'm totally happy with my .270wsm (and 5 my other rifles).
    Yes I’m serious. As I have a R93 Blaser it does limit options at times. There’s a 270 barrel available here and I’m thinking that it might fit my hunting at present. 270Win did appear limited in capability with poor projectile options in the past. Now it has better options. Also being left handed limits me a bit. I very much like my Blaser and being able to shoot the exact same rifle in 243, 7-08 and another does make for a better platform to shoot from.
    As per OP. I would like fast, and hard hitting. 270 could work, I just don’t have the experience with the 270.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Yes I’m serious. As I have a R93 Blaser it does limit options at times. There’s a 270 barrel available here and I’m thinking that it might fit my hunting at present. 270Win did appear limited in capability with poor projectile options in the past. Now it has better options. Also being left handed limits me a bit. I very much like my Blaser and being able to shoot the exact same rifle in 243, 7-08 and another does make for a better platform to shoot from.
    As per OP. I would like fast, and hard hitting. 270 could work, I just don’t have the experience with the 270.
    It seems to me that modern powders like R26 and higher BC bullets like the 150 LRAB, 129 LRX and 145 ELDx and have given the .270 new legs. I would go for it.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    deer and pigs???? cattle,horses,reds,fallow,white tail,thar,chammy,pigs,goats,wallabies,hares,rabbit s,mice and even the odd feathered or scaled "thing" have died by mine over the years...never felt undergunned
    You killed mice with a .270? My Hero.
    Micky Duck and Howa270 like this.

Buy super divers 260 James. Use Blaser as a sand anchor.
    superdiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I'd buy one
    Cool @mikee you can buy mine once I've tarted it up lol

R93
    Go for it. Especially if in a Blaser barrel.
    At least you know it will shoot.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.