Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: How much does a 270Win suck in 2019?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Buy super divers 260 James. Use Blaser as a sand anchor.
    If only it was LH.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    If only it was LH.
    Dunno if you have tried but having used a Blaser for over 20 years and using the one crank gun I have in the safe i make a few stuff ups.
    It has cost plenty of follow up shots on things because I am so used to the blaser.
    Being handicapped (LH) like yourself would be comical using a right hand crank gun.
    I am struggling to see how a 270 would fill a need for you if you still have the 243 and 7 rem mag?
    All bases covered well I would have thought?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    northdude likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

At least if you had a 270 barrel it would offset some of the Blaser owner stigma
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    At least if you had a 270 barrel it would offset some of the Blaser owner stigma
    Like super homo?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I sold my 7mm Rem Mag barrel for my R93 maybe 18 months ago and for the shooting I do it was the best move I've made in a long time .
    The 7mm Mag rattled my teeth everytime I squeezed the trigger and to be honest it did my shooting technique and results no good .
    Sure I still hit what I was aiming at but it took a lot of concentration and perseverance to shoot .
    For quite a few months all I used and had for a centerfire was my .223 barrel and I feel back in love with shooting my Blaser .
    I recently picked up a 6.5x55 barrel and it is my new favourite calibre and I cant see myself ever going back to a Magnum of any kind .
    There is a time and place for the big bangers , but my shooting doesnt require them .
    Personally the .270 would probably be my upper limit of recoil and blast ( I'm only going on what I've heard as I have never owned one ) , any cartridge that can reach to 400 yrds and deliver a projectile of between 120gn - 150gn without to much fecking around is good medicine in my opinion , I have a self imposed limit of 300m for my 6.5x55 and although I haven't tested it on Deer here in North Queensland the 4 pigs that have meet their maker ( furtherest shot 267 paces ) just died on the spot .
    If your old enough to remember Graham Henry from Rod & Rifle magazine back in the day , well he was a .270 fan and he never had a bad thing to say about the .270 , the Deer haven't changed over the last 30 years only the marketing and profits of the big manufacturers .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Like super homo?
    Yoooo!! hooooo!!!!

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Yoooo!! hooooo!!!!

^^^^^
    Answer yeah I do and it’s also a 270......your move sweetie
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Well what can I say that hasn't been said, just buy one and enjoy it. The 270 is one of the all time greats can't argue with that one and it is one of those calibers that just plan works.
    I like all my other calibers but throughout the years I have never been to long without a 270 in the safe.

I had a 270 once. Was a nice rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    biggest complaint I have heard from 270 shooters is noise, blast and recoil if they hit what they are shooting at most of the time it does actually die probably from embarrassment though.suppressors are a great thing can turn a dog into a pussycat.
    I don't think the 270 is to bad in all those departments but after you shoot an un braked 300 RUM a bit I suppose it is rather mild mannered.
    shooternz and dannyb like this.

I was using my mates 270 while I was waiting for my scope. The chamois and reds I took at 260 and 300mtrs never took another step. 1 shot and over they went. I couldn't tell the difference between the recoil and noise on that, my 308 or the 300wsm.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    I couldn't tell the difference between the recoil and noise on that, my 308 or the 300wsm.
    Really? I found the noise+recoil difference pretty bloody obvious between 270 and 308/7mm08. Which is what you would expect when you look at the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I think "rainbow" is the word to describe the 270 this year.
    The word Rainbow is already taken to describe 308 ballistics
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I had a nice Sako finnlite 270win for 9 years and it killed a lot of animals near and far. I pushed that rifle to its limits, deer 818m, tahr 525m, goats past a 1000m.
    After getting the dog I got a subsonic rifle and just used the 270 for long range steel targets, hunting National Park’s and long range culling on a mates farm.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.