Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: How much does a 270Win suck in 2019?

Banned
    You miss place more shots due to wind than elevation. Elevation is vastly more predictable. Elevation does not vary with conditions. If you care at all about a rifles performance then you would worry about a desirable shot on a windy day, as this is highly likely. You would then care more about how slippery a projectile was, than how fast it was traveling. 6.3mm to 6.5mm to 6.8mm is not going to make any great difference to a wound with the same bullet, but only 6.5 has a good selection of slippery game bullets.

Why is that? 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm all have a good range of slippery bullets that kill well. In between, 6.3 and 6.8 have bullets that kill well that are shaped like bricks.

In other words, most of its reputation is complete bullshit, but it goes bang and things fall over, just like everything else. I feel for the amount of bang and kick, the pill that arrives at the 400m mark is nothing to write home about.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    You miss place more shots due to wind than elevation. Elevation is vastly more predictable. Elevation does not vary with conditions. If you care at all about a rifles performance then you would worry about a desirable shot on a windy day, as this is highly likely. You would then care more about how slippery a projectile was, than how fast it was traveling. 6.3mm to 6.5mm to 6.8mm is not going to make any great difference to a wound with the same bullet, but only 6.5 has a good selection of slippery game bullets.

Why is that? 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm all have a good range of slippery bullets that kill well. In between, 6.3 and 6.8 have bullets that kill well that are shaped like bricks.

In other words, most of its reputation is complete bullshit, but it goes bang and things fall over, just like everything else. I feel for the amount of bang and kick, the pill that arrives at the 400m mark is nothing to write home about.
    You read too much on the internet.......... get some real world experience.
    7mmsaum, Tahr, Shamus and 1 others like this.

R93

Elevation is certainly affected by atmospherics.
    Even if you have them perfect, shooting over broken ground can cause all sorts of issues with wind regarding elevation.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    mawzer308 and sometimes1 like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

A lot of people see to forget wind is 3 dimensional. It not only blows left to right but up and down and towards and away from you. All have an effect.
    BRADS and dannyb like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Remove the tinfoil hat, get off the internet. I dont understand how you think projectiles that are in the .4 and .5 bc range are considered as bricks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    You read too much on the internet.......... get some real world experience.
    You realize all things being equal, there is little or no practical difference between any of the rounds discussed here under 400m? I was joining in the discussion for amusement. If you want to make yourself look cool by being a pragmatist just point out the whole discussion is nonsense to everyone. Why single me out?
    deep likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Remove the tinfoil hat, get off the internet. I dont understand how you think projectiles that are in the .4 and .5 bc range are considered as bricks.
    Lol. Why do you guys discuss ballistics at all?

Fuck, I'm glad that it's ok to go hunting most days, can load some ammo, shoot and no worry as long as I do my part and the animal falls over. Plus it could be with one of my 270's with Barnes 110 or129gr
    bumblefoot and 57jl like this.

The 270Win is better now than it ever was due to improved bullet technology. The off the shelf ammo selection is excellent ( same for 308 Win, 7mm08, 30-06, and others). Due to ballistic realities and barrel twist projectile weights will top out at 150 grains.......but is that so bad. i know a gentlemen in his eighties that killed a grizzly bear in Alaska with his 270 Win with a 150 gr. Nosler partition bullet while on a sheep hunt. He hunted the World with his 270 Win.....go tell him that it is S@#$. Recoil???? about like a 308 Win........i would say quite mild......absolutely no problem.

post script: My friend in his late 80's recounted the story of the grizzly bear as follows: The bear was facing him .....he shot it in the throat area.....the 150 grain Nosler Partition bullet went deep into the bear's body and exited out his back having severed the bear's spine. His comment was, that it is not a shot that would be duplicated regularly. His closing comment is that he never felt undergunned with the 270WIN
    Micky Duck and sometimes1 like this.

Just bought a box of 145g Hornday ELD-X changing from 140g Noslers ABs price was the main reason to change, but a few comments about the ABs recently about them got me thinking.. Plenty of options in the legendary calibre.

I just hope the 10.5 twist stabilizes the new pill and can still mag load out touching the lands.

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

don't do it man, if you do put a can on it

Quote Originally Posted by bill f View Post
    post script: My friend in his late 80's recounted the story of the grizzly bear as follows: The bear was facing him .....he shot it in the throat area.....the 150 grain Nosler Partition bullet went deep into the bear's body and exited out his back having severed the bear's spine. His comment was, that it is not a shot that would be duplicated regularly. His closing comment is that he never felt undergunned with the 270WIN
    He could have had the same effect with a .38 Special too.
    He was walking a fine line shooting at the neck of a Bear....
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by muka88 View Post
    don't do it man, if you do put a can on it

Hell no, waste of a good .270 when people shorten the barrel and put 'suppressors' on them. A .270 deserves a proper 24 inch barrel. 22 inches will do but not less that's for sure.

This fad for unnecessary gadgets like suppressors is ruining a lot of good rifles.
    7mmsaum, BRADS, john m and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    Hell no, waste of a good .270 when people shorten the barrel and put 'suppressors' on them. A .270 deserves a proper 24 inch barrel. 22 inches will do but not less that's for sure.

This fad for unnecessary gadgets like suppressors is ruining a lot of good rifles.
    Have one at 18" and another at 20", suppressed, both accurate and kill well if I do my bit. Max shots I get are 350metres. A suppressor isn't necessary but makes life more pleasant.