Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: How much does a 270Win suck in 2019?

Banned
    Worth remembering that 270 is a zillion years old and chambered in every rifle imaginable and so suffers from the same loading fatigue 6.5x55 does. They have to consider the old actions. Liability and what not. Buy a Sako 75 in .270 (due to the stock shape) and stoke up 140g to 150g Hornady projectiles and I can't see what you could find to complain about. I do think in light straight stocks it has a sharp/fast recoil that is unpleasant.

It was so cool it became lame and now I find out it is actually considered lame I might buy one.

I missed your style of writing Tim. Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Worth remembering that 270 is a zillion years old and chambered in every rifle imaginable and so suffers from the same loading fatigue 6.5x55 does. They have to consider the old actions. Liability and what not. Buy a Sako 75 in .270 (due to the stock shape) and stoke up 140g to 150g Hornady projectiles and I can't see what you could find to complain about. I do think in light straight stocks it has a sharp/fast recoil that is unpleasant.

It was so cool it became lame and now I find out it is actually considered lame I might buy one.
    Nail on the head there Tim, my a7 270 kicked pretty firmly but my finnbear 270 is an absolute pussycat and one of the softest shooting rifles I've owned. Stock design and barrel length have a lot to do with "perceived" recoil. I am shooting almost the exact same load in both rifles only different by .1 of a grain and seating depth and they are very different rifles to shoot. You would swear the finnbear was a lesser caliber if you didn't know.
    csmiffy and Tussock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    deer and pigs???? cattle,horses,reds,fallow,white tail,thar,chammy,pigs,goats,wallabies,hares,rabbit s,mice and even the odd feathered or scaled "thing" have died by mine over the years...never felt undergunned
    Slightly overgunned on mice tho'....eh? Ha!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post

So I bought one. Wish it was not sitting, paid for, stuck in the permit black hole.

The 270 will always suck for me , just never liked it. used it, had a couple but never felt the love. The 280 on the other hand always appealed to me and now with the high bc bullets in heavy weights why bother with the 270. Right now i'm happy with my 30/284 till i get the itch to try something different. The 270 was very much an advertising success just like the creedmore hence why they are still around and made in lots of rifles. The 280/260 on the other hand where marketed badly and hence they are not as readily available . Which is a shame as they are both very good cartridges .
    Been Upto likes this.

I've owned two .270's. It was the very first deer calibre I owned (Winchester M70 Ranger) and shot a few animals with it, but sold it (more to do with the rifle than calibre. Last .270 I owned was in a Blaser but sold it to pay for my trip to USA back in 2009.

It's a great calibre, but despite owning two of them, personally I'm not a fan of it, though I'd be tempted by a .270 Weatherby.

For me, 7mm is where it's at. I like the higher BC 7mm projectiles and have just shot my Kimber Hunter .280 Ackley for the first time yesterday, using the 160gr Trophy Bonded Tipped projectiles, and from my first range shoot this rifle will be a definate keeper.

It's a shame that no major manufacturer has produced a .270 with a faster twist than 1:10, considering that there are some higher BC bullets coming out. I like the look of the 170gr Berger Elite Hunter, they have a wickedly high BC...

...A .270 Weatherby Mag fitted with a custom fast twist barrel and shooting the above mentioned projectiles would be an interesting proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5mm-mag View Post
    I've owned two .270's. It was the very first deer calibre I owned (Winchester M70 Ranger) and shot a few animals with it, but sold it (more to do with the rifle than calibre. Last .270 I owned was in a Blaser but sold it to pay for my trip to USA back in 2009.

It's a great calibre, but despite owning two of them, personally I'm not a fan of it, though I'd be tempted by a .270 Weatherby.

For me, 7mm is where it's at. I like the higher BC 7mm projectiles and have just shot my Kimber Hunter .280 Ackley for the first time yesterday, using the 160gr Trophy Bonded Tipped projectiles, and from my first range shoot this rifle will be a definate keeper.

It's a shame that no major manufacturer has produced a .270 with a faster twist than 1:10, considering that there are some higher BC bullets coming out. I like the look of the 170gr Berger Elite Hunter, they have a wickedly high BC...

...A .270 Weatherby Mag fitted with a custom fast twist barrel and shooting the above mentioned projectiles would be an interesting proposition.
    I present to you.... The 1:8" 27Nosler I feed it 170 Elite Hunters
    Name:  20180627_104233.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  8.20 MB
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Very nice too. I assume straight neck down of the 28 Nosler?

What velocity with the 170's?