Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: How short on a 303?

there is in deep dark recesses of my memory a method using braces rubberbands (teeth braces) on the case for first firing to hold it against bolt face...and resizing appropreately from there on in.... someone with better memory than mine will know it.
    very tidy rifle...good on ya for giving old girl a new lease on life.....
    was using the same S&B factory stuff the other day..the projectiles look shorter than other fmj types we had misfire issues till gave bolt a plurry good dung out.

Use an o ring to hold the case against the bolt headfor the first firing. Neck size from that point on. I shoot 220 grain cast at 1800fps and don't size the neck at all. Most 303 have a .314 bore or bigger and using a 308 projectile will not be accurate.
    shooternz and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Driverman View Post
    Use an o ring to hold the case against the bolt headfor the first firing. Neck size from that point on. I shoot 220 grain cast at 1800fps and don't size the neck at all. Most 303 have a .314 bore or bigger and using a 308 projectile will not be accurate.
    @Driverman O ring right down by the rim?

Quote Originally Posted by Driverman View Post
    Get the headspace checked if an O ring will let the bolt close you have a headspace problem, .303's headspace on the rim not the shoulder

correct but what fellas are doing is letting case grow on first firing and then keeping it long and sort of partial length resizing (minimal case movement) from there on in so brass lasts longer as its a close fit to chamber to begin with and isnt getting worked so much....
    csmiffy likes this.

It's not the working of the case by sizing that causes case head failure it's flexing of the case by the Lee Enfield action that causes it,
    cases last longer in the P14 action as it does not flex, using mild loads will help the original cartridge was loaded with black powder
    also the military only use cases once, nobody reloaded the .303 until the mid 1960's, it amazes me that anyone still uses the .303
    for hunting with the availability of much better cartridge/rifle combinations,
    I'm not complaining I sell a lot of cast bullets to .303 shooters just surprised how many are still in use.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    It's not the working of the case by sizing that causes case head failure it's flexing of the case by the Lee Enfield action that causes it,
    cases last longer in the P14 action as it does not flex, using mild loads will help the original cartridge was loaded with black powder
    also the military only use cases once, nobody reloaded the .303 until the mid 1960's, it amazes me that anyone still uses the .303
    I'm not complaining I sell a lot of cast bullets to .303 shooters just surprised how many are still in use.
    It's probably the nostalgia. Playing Barry crump and the whole experience of hunting with an old rifle. I plan on getting a good one using it in the bush.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

well please excuse me as i find my beloved no4mk1.303 is extremely effective for composting possums.in fact the last one that got a 18ogn RN blowjob ended up spread as a fine mist over nearly two grid squares..not that DOC would thank me for it. they also make an extremely effective chainsaw in an emergency!-namely removing dead possums from high up trees too high for this podgy wee bastard to climb!

seriously ive had more than one case separate at the head
    .Ive actually got a.303 shell remover from my TF days -but a rat tailed rasp will suffice if youre bloody desperate.
    me -inspect all brass........ minute shiny ring in front of rim..... -biff it no shaggin round!
    i rank the .303 up there with me 12g as my heavy artillery.
    luv it clap of thunder and whoa -bloody great hole if im on form.Its asn allround sensual experience.
    alas old thunderguts sulks in the cabinet as the chinese twins 7.62x39&.223 often get a wee workout instead.
    Last edited by kotuku; 01-07-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

^^^Shooting possums out of a tree with a center fire because you’re too fat and useless to climb it?!? And claiming it on a public forum.

Fuck you’re a unit!
    Last edited by Proudkiwi; 01-07-2018 at 07:14 PM.

and why not...Ive done it more than once and plurry sure will do it again.....
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    ^^^Shooting possums out of a tree with a center fire because you’re too fat and useless to climb it?!? And claiming it on a public forum.

Fuck you’re a unit!
    Bear in mind it might of had a back drop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    and why not...Ive done it more than once and plurry sure will do it again.....
    Read it again and think about consequences if he misses. Which is likely with a piece of shit .303

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    Bear in mind it might of had a back drop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Possible but unlikely given the context of the statement.

Actually performance is only a little behind the .308. For pest goat shooting a 303 is probably still one of the best rifles for the job. Fast reload with chargers, speediest bolt action out there, and plenty of energy to tip things over.
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Actually performance is only a little behind the .308. For pest goat shooting a 303 is probably still one of the best rifles for the job. Fast reload with chargers, speediest bolt action out there, and plenty of energy to tip things over.
    I've got a Marlin XS 7mm-08 and to be honest; prefer using the old "three oh" more..... It's short, I used to use it as a pig gun. It has a 2.5x Weaver on it and still shoots 3" at 100 yards with factory ammo. I've bought a Howa Mini 223 recently, but am seriously thinking of putting a 4x on the .303 and selling the Marlin. I really enjoy using a 74-year old gun to hunt with. And really a .303 through the boiler room is going to kill a deer as dead as a .308

Mind you; I am thinking of buying a Lyman Trade gun or Deerstalker to hunt with; so maybe I'm a bit strange...... Name:  303.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  104.2 KB