Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Howa Rifles

Had a 25.06 in Australia embarrassed the more expensive guns on the range, have a vanguard in 257 Weatherby that shoots very well, reminds me off my old Sako in .270

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    A mate picked up a secondhand 1500 stainless in hougue stock in 308 for his lad recently. lupy entry level scope +dpt suppressor.
    15 yr old put the first five shots all touching at 100 yards, despite the shit trigger (changing to Timney), with factory amo.
    At $1400 all in, I think it would be hard to beat
    Well @Toby had his 'Improved Sako' 1500 in 6.5x55AI and that was a tack driver. I had a go on it and after a test of the trigger I had three shots holding hands at 100m. He did have the barrel fluted and his biggest gripe was 'all the writing' on the barreled action.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    I really like the simple bolt disassembly and the fact that the gas escape holes for if something goes wrong, are pointed down through the mag well and not across in front of the face like so many others...

My sons Howa 1500 7mm08 about 8 years old from new. The gas holes are across the face of the action like many other rifles? I wasn't aware that they may have changed the design? Not that i have any concerns. Remains an accurate firearm for big game hunting.
    While there are the side holes like most rifles, my understanding is that it is designed so the gas goes out through the three big holes in the bottom of the bolt which when the bolt is closed, the holes point down through the magazine well. By venting through larger holes the speed of the escaping gas is supposed to be reduced too. Though I have never experienced it to find out....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    While there are the side holes like most rifles, my understanding is that it is designed so the gas goes out through the three big holes in the bottom of the bolt which when the bolt is closed, the holes point down through the magazine well. By venting through larger holes the speed of the escaping gas is supposed to be reduced too. Though I have never experienced it to find out....
    Maybe @Micky Duck could demonstrate ..........too soon ????
    gadgetman, Micky Duck and Delphus like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Mines the S/S barrel in 7-08....cant beat the price.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

My personal opinion is that Howa rifles are underated. I've owned several and still have some.(Planning to buy more too ��)

Accurate as can be, good value for money, one of the best production triggers on the market. They are a little heavier than Kimber and I think the T3 too, but Im happy to carry the extra weight.....they dont have a left hand option though and that sucks.

But in all honesty, Howa is my go too rifle if I'm buying.

Lots of guys all over the world have gotten very cranky about the flexible forend on the original Hogue stocks. So they go about pouring all sorts of resins into the polymer frame and adding metal rods and all sorts.

It’s a great deal simpler to just remove a small amount of material from the tip, like this. Ain’t gonna touch now. For a rough use truck / quad farm gun in all weather and no remorse, the grippy Hogue stock is very useful.

Name:  81E8F4B7-3CBA-44F8-8AF9-1806A24201D9.jpeg
Views: 475
Size:  524.9 KB

Name:  D5B0BE5C-D33B-4C23-B184-01F22A1664F4.jpeg
Views: 479
Size:  741.2 KB
    Just...say...the...word

Brilliant rifles the houge stocks suck but howa’s are sold as barrelled actions so you pick the stock heaps of options i run walnut on mine)
    Just don’t get a houge and your golden
    Name:  F11BCDD3-6FAE-4A96-875B-372C7A93390C.jpeg
Views: 400
Size:  736.8 KB
    That’s pretty standard howa that’s with basic soft points in 6.5creedmoor (handloads)
    But 90% howa’s shoot like that

My 1500 has the houge stock but is comfortable enough for me and shoots sub MOA. I will probably keep it as it is as I am more about functionality and end result rather than asthetics, and being primarily a meat hunter it does a good job. So I'm not that enthused to put a flash wooden stock on it only to be scratched and knocked about. But thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Goosen View Post
    ...they dont have a left hand option though and that sucks.
    There has never been a left hand samouraï in Japan , that could be the reason.
    Bill999, Micky Duck and Flyblown like this.

I have the Howa 1500 in .270 cal. It is consistently accurate, I did a lot of research before buying and after several years it still seems like great value to me. The only thing is that it's not a super lightweight rifle which for some hunters is important.
    Joe_90 likes this.

Learn something new every day - have to try that one @Huntfisheat !

None of mine do this.

How do you set it up @Huntfisheat?
    dannyb likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Banned
    I had a regular 1500. Good shooter. My only criticism would be lack of rigid lightweight Stocks and not very rust resistant stainless.
    The thinner profile 20inch barreled ones are a better carry rifle and shoot well from what I've heard. Still needs a rigid lightweight stock
    dannyb likes this.

My trigger is 1.8lb Lyman trigger gauge
    Just got a ball point pen spring in it
    Have done some Experimentation so see what would happen if the spring failed
    The gun will not go off Unexpectedly
    It actually reverts to about a 5-6lb trigger pull without that spring in play
    Nice safe trigger as it seems to have a fail safe