Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: I need a new rifle

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Res, I've owned both Z6 and VX6 and couldn't tell much difference. The VX6 is quite a step up from the VX3 optically and the Leupold Fire Dot system is superior IMHO to any other illumination system I've seen including Leica.

res
    Just to update this thread, if anyone is interested.

I have ended up buying a second hand tc contender in .308 with a older gunworks can and a Leopold ultralight 2-7 scope from a forum member.

At some point I'll get it recited and cut down,fit a new can and scope but it can wait as it looks like for the next few years I won't be back in nz as much as expected.

To prove I'm a slow learner it's going to live with the guy who fucked up the blr.
    50% a storage thing and 50% the fact he fucked up but did what it took to make it right and I respect that.
    Shearer likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

I have seen many reasons on why's and wherefores' of what length a rifle would or should be...this is the first time I have ever come across one where it was measured against the width of the handlebars of a push bike.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

res
    Horses for courses so to speak.

If the law allowed I would just use a large revolver for most of the hunting I plan to use this for.

I like that,like the blr its replacing I'll be able to carry it loaded but with the hammer down.
    Using Tapatalk

What calibre was the original BLR?

res
    Using Tapatalk

Mate had one in .358, I quite liked it...I had a '94 in .356...we had some great shoot outs.

res
    I liked it a lot, handled well and the take down ability served me well-was heaver than was ideal for how I used it mostly otherwise I would have probably replaced it with the stainless versions you can now buy.
    I had it set up with a scout style scope on the barrel as I did not trust the first shot after reassembly for receiver mounted optics.

While I liked having extra rounds on tap, after much thinking I decided I could live without them based on past experience and the contender is a lot lighter and much more compact even before I get a gunsmith to lighten it up. I also like that when its cut to minimum legal length it will have a bit more barrel length to cut down blast-not a huge deal for handloads but for factory ammo it is.
    Also the excuse to buy other barrels over time fits my gun geek nature.
    Also, while my son is still much to small to use it I had already bought him a tc .22 kids rifle so having something that looks the same myself could be handy for father son bonding in a couple of years-or that's what I told his mum anyway when she asked why I needed to replace the blr when I already have a few .308's
    Using Tapatalk