Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Ideas for a new gun

Ideas for a new gun

Hi guys
    Looking at changing up my rifle and was wondering what anyone would recommend. Was looking at the bergara b14 extreme or tikka or possibly a good second hand sakoif I could find one. Anyone got any thoughts.

What are you doing with this rifle . . .
    . What are you shooting, how far away, what have you used before?? Cheers
    CBH Australia likes this.

Any of those would be good as would a howa or savage.
    Handle a few if you can and pick the one that just feels right.
    Shearer, 300CALMAN and norsk like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I bought a new Tikka TX3 in 6.5 x 55 recently, mostly to shoot paper and for my grandson before too long (with tiny little ELDMs).
    I have a couple of Tikkas already but I'm still amazed by the quality of what Tikka are doing. I'm only up to a dozen rounds or so with some really rubbish ammo and the thing looks to be incredibly accurate already and its going to fascinating to see what it can do with some quality reloads.

I think a feature people underate is the Tikka stock, for a budget gun its a work of art. I've modified a couple and there is a high content fiber in their build which gives them great stability compared to the Savage, Howa and Remington plastic stocks I've experienced. I suspect that the TX3 stock is the third change in manufacturing process that I have seen and its another step up in its quality and stability.

People dislike the one size action fit all approach but my take is that lets Beretta invest the savings in tooling and having one stock fits all, into the things that really count. Quality consistent machining, a Sako quality barrel, a nice adjustable trigger and a relatively high quality synthetic stock.
    The Bergara seems a great concept but I haven't looked closely, but if you want a gun out of the box that will consistently shoot small groups at 600 yards off a bipod or a reasonably weighted bush gun the Tikka is ideal, that's why there are so many out there.

And that's the reason there are so many aftermarket parts for them, the manufactures not only have a big market to service but one size fits all with most things, so its more economic so its worth doing at a reasonable price.

It would just be a hunting gun, bush with the ability to push out in the open 500m. I currently have a ruger m77 in 308 but would like something abit lighter to carry. I've handled both at the local hunting and fishing and both feel good just don't to much about the bergaras, not to much info online.

A mate hunts with the light weight Bergara. It has a fluted bolt and barrel as standard.

I think its great value for money and certainly fits what you want to do with it.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

its the rem 700 vs tikka T3 argument all over again
    Iv had both and I like the tikka better (bergara is just a remington clone with slight improvments)

both are good and it comes down to preference

nothing wrong with a ruger m77, you are probably better off buying the scope you want to use long term first as 308 will do everything you are looking for well
    Pixie Z and norsk like this.

I've got Bergara, Remington and Tikka actions (not in the lightweight configuration you are considering) and they are all much of a muchness, in term of action if I had to choose I'd probably go Bergara, but for a purely hunting sort of stick I'd let the stock fit decide the issue - what comes up best, what's it like to carry (a hunting rifle spends a hell of a lot of time being carried) and do I like how it looks - you have to "like" a rifle I reckon!
    Bill999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Iv had both and I like the tikka better (bergara is just a remington clone with slight improvments)

nothing wrong with a ruger m77, you are probably better off buying the scope you want to use long term first as 308 will do everything you are looking for well
    The only Remington I've had anything to do with recently was a new rifle for a new shooter. He wasted a lot of ammo because the recycled milk bottle stock had fore end contact and was spraying lead all over the show off his new bipod...out with the dremel and it shot ok. I don't want a Tikka anything else argument but that was a frustrating experience for the guy and people need to be informed imho.
    veitnamcam likes this.

The bergara is a nice looking bit of kit but just not to sure about the 18 inch barrel against the tikkas 20inch. Both felt nice and shouldered nicely. When I had a look at them in h&f, felt like the sales man was pushing towards the bergara, reckond they are getting more popular than the tikkas! A friend recommended the ruger America but I want a gun that will last and I don't feel that with them but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post

There has never been an argument....Tikka over Lemington all day.

At least a Tikka will extract everytime.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    It would just be a hunting gun, bush with the ability to push out in the open 500m. I currently have a ruger m77 in 308 but would like something abit lighter to carry. I've handled both at the local hunting and fishing and both feel good just don't to much about the bergaras, not to much info online.
    I have a few Tikkas, just worked out that way.
    I put a carbon Fibre stock and C/F wrapped barrel in one. I got some gear on special and done ok on the build.

A gunsmith told me the Bergara were worth looking into when I was looking for something else for some other reason.
    If the Ruger is accurate you might be spending a lot dollars to save marginal weight.
    I would never talk you out of buying another rifle just wondering if you are changing up the calibre or optics?
    For hunting I perhaps a Tikka is an easy fix.
    My mate is raving about the newer Tikka models Aspire and Strata. He has the aspire in .223.

If you see a good deal on a second-hand Tikka in a chambering you like consider grabbing that and rebarrel or restock when required and make it your own.

The ruger is OK but I have had my battles with it to get it shoot and feel it's time for a change. As for calibers iam open to something else but do like the 308. I did seea ssako finnlite for sale I qtown but never had a chance to look at it

you wanting to stretch legs of projectile..shoot further...so COULD go in other direction and buy bigger and slightly heavier for the long range/tops/close to wagon hunts and keep the 308 for the bush work...something like a 7mm mag with decent stock n barrel not a soda straw boot the crap out of you thing.
    yes I have one forsale but thats not why Im suggesting it.
    if you want MORE than the 308 will do,you need to jump quite a bit as its a very capable round.

Nah not interested In a big banger 308 is good. I would consider 7mm08 or 6.5x55
    grandpamac and CBH Australia like this.