Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: importing scope mounts???

importing scope mounts???

Has anyone got first hand experience to reassure me of this process??
    I've found some quick release mounts I'm after on optics trade to fit my new rifle. I'm just unsure how the shipping works re customs etc. And shipping to NZ starts from $17 upwards to $167 with 'all' custom fees included.
    Are there more costs or stupid problems at this end? Does the cheaper shipping option work?
    [A NZ dealer said he will get a few in about 4 months ago but my patience is waning... where as OpticsTrade say they will ship within 3 days]
    Thanks.

Bos
    Be careful mate, they are deemed to be a "firearm part", and as such will attract attention

Can be a tricky process and you will need an import permit from the Police, you might also get pinged for GST when they get here.

Are you sure you can't get what you want or something similar here ? If you PM me what you want I can ask around in the trade.

Cheers

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post
    Has anyone got first hand experience to reassure me of this process??
    I've found some quick release mounts I'm after on optics trade to fit my new rifle. I'm just unsure how the shipping works re customs etc. And shipping to NZ starts from $17 upwards to $167 with 'all' custom fees included.
    Are there more costs or stupid problems at this end? Does the cheaper shipping option work?
    [A NZ dealer said he will get a few in about 4 months ago but my patience is waning... where as OpticsTrade say they will ship within 3 days]
    Thanks.
    As others say, yes, an Import Permit is required ( regulated as a Firearm Part ), and this process takes several weeks. Allow 4 to 6 weeks from the time you submit an application. What you receive is a Supplier Copy ( to be sent to your USA supplier ) and a copy for NZ Customs when it arrives in NZ. Customs may charge you gst + Customs fees on arrival before it will be released to you. However this is a bit dependant on the item value and gst is not always charged. But the first thing you should ask your USA supplier is if legally they are allowed to ship to NZ. Great if they can but some suppliers won't under existing state and federal regulations. Not every supplier wants to bother with the trouble and expense of obtaining export licenses.

So not looking too good so far. Also it’s coming from Germany I think or somewhere in the EU not USA. Such a pain that it’s so complicated for just a scope mount. The other thought I had was I have a relation coming over from EU later this month but it’s probably a bit silly for him to try and bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post
    So not looking too good so far. Also it’s coming from Germany I think or somewhere in the EU not USA. Such a pain that it’s so complicated for just a scope mount. The other thought I had was I have a relation coming over from EU later this month but it’s probably a bit silly for him to try and bring it.
    If your relation had a copy of an ( your ) Import Permit I would think they could bring it with them. Would need to clear with NZ Customs on arrival in case gst is payable, but otherwise quite OK I would think. Your problem I think if they are coming later this month is insufficient time to obtain the Import Permit. Coincidentally I received an Import Permit just today. Took 44 days since sending in.

I was under the impression the police had exempted scopes and scope mounts from import permit requirements? Has that changed again?
    tetawa, matagouri and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    I was under the impression the police had exempted scopes and scope mounts from import permit requirements? Has that changed again?
    Would be good if this is right. I emailed the FSA tonight asking for clarification on this. Will report back.

Thanks it would be good if you can find out.

To my knowledge, scope mounts were requiring an import permit just shortly after the xchurch events for a few months, then things got changed and their was no requirement anymore for such permit for scope mounts. I actually know of a number of people who have imported scope bases and rails in the last few months and they just had gst to pay for them.
    30.06king likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    To my knowledge, scope mounts were requiring an import permit just shortly after the xchurch events for a few months, then things got changed and their was no requirement anymore for such permit for scope mounts. I actually know of a number of people who have imported scope bases and rails in the last few months and they just had gst to pay for them.
    Yes. Some time back I applied for an Import Permit to take my own rifle overseas, then return to NZ. I supplied my rifle serial number as requested. I got an email saying I also needed to supply details of my scope plus serial number as this was a "firearm part" under th Act also requiring the Permit. I wasn't aware this had changed but bloody good if it has.

Nope. There are several posts on here from police communications that scopes and sights are excluded from the list. But if buying either I would talk to the appropriate police dept and get fresh confirmation

I imported declared iron sights this week with no issues. Also a leather stock cover /cheek riser. Not all accessories are firearm parts.

Okay now I’m a little more informed but it still seems like a grey area. But looks like it’s worth making some inquiries and giving it a go.

but its for a crossbow !!
    Billbob and MCCPRO like this.

Is there a list come where of what is and isn't classified as a part? Farking palava to post or order anything and clear as mud as to whats what at the moment
    Cordite likes this.