Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 4 Post By mudgripz
  • 5 Post By mudgripz
  • 2 Post By 6x47
  • 1 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By vulcannz

Thread: Interesting point with US scopes..

Interesting point with US scopes..

As a rimfire hobbyist have had large number of rifles come through the door, and on them a wide range of scopes. Brands I welcomed on the 22s have been Mueller, Bushnell (Sportsman, Banner, Trophy), Tasco (esp early Jap made ones and later World Class series), and Simmons. Also anything by Nikko Stirling. All good on hunter 22s, and some quite effective as entry level optics on centrefires. Mueller an excellent scope for any rifle - have a 4.5-14x on my 223.

Bushnell have really lifted their game in last 5-7 years or so, producing excellent class of scopes now - amongst other optic equipment. And I was interested to find recently that Bushnell also owns Simmons brand, and in mid 2022 bought Tasco. Given Bushnell's new quality focus this can only benefit the Tasco and Simmons range of scopes - probably retaining them as their entry level optics.

I have a near new Tasco World Class 4-16x on my Marlin 795SS semiauto. Bought it for $130 and its a fine little rimfire scope. Dailler? I don't know. But holds zero perfectly and has that wee semiauto averaging in the 0.4"s for consecutive groups at 50m. That's doing the job, and doing it as well on range and in field as a scope worth 10x the price.

Will be interested to watch the development of the Tasco/Simmons ranges in near future, esp for the rimfires and the 223s. Wondering what other brands are producing good value rimfire scopes today - the $100-300 models. Nikko always good - can't remember a dud in a dozen or so.
    Last edited by mudgripz; 21-01-2023 at 12:37 PM.
    Trout, 308, Marty Henry and 1 others like this.

I agree. There are alot of chinese scopes out there - including fake brands - that I would not touch. There are also those entry level brands like Nikko, Bushnell (mid), Simmons, Tasco that have been staples in NZ for 30-40 years. Ideal on your hunter 22 and can give good durable service also on the centrefires. Yes some made in china now, but with close plant and production management the product can still be good.

A common mistake occurs when newbies here and elsewhere ask what kind of rimfire setup they need to go pop some bunnies. Some people advise they must buy Bergara, Tikka 1X, Annie etc, and spend another $500-1000 on optics. Spend $2-2.5k for an effective hunting setup. This idea is certainly not borne out in practice. You can have an extremely efficient 22LR setup that will match any expensive rig in the field for maybe $3-600 or so. Can't remember how many setups I've had, but it's not the big marketing or the brand name rifles and optics that matter. In rifles its often the LMLMs, the lean, mean, lethal machines that perform extremely well over the years - really earn their place. e.g. Norinco, Savage, Marlin semis and bolts, Zastava, CZ452. And the scopes mentioned above do that 22 job very well. Yes 100% valid to spend big coin and buy yourself a well-made rifle plus optics etc. But is it a necessity - no. Our long established team has shot bunnies by tens of thousands - and deer/wallabies etc - and all but one use the well tuned LMLMs to very good effect. The exception bought a heavy barrel Tikka - but that's only good for shooting from truck - v heavy.

My 2c..
    Last edited by mudgripz; 21-01-2023 at 07:10 PM.

They're obsolete now but the Nikon Rimfire Prostaffs were up to the job. I have various "blems" bought from Natchez, all were mint despite being cheap ~ US$100
    mudgripz and JohnQT like this.

The Nikon Rimfires are ok but a bit tunnel visionish. The dropping circle reticle is too busy and only useful if you keep it at a consistent magnification. They don't have enough magnification for target shooting but they are clear.
    Last edited by Steve123; 22-01-2023 at 08:56 AM.

I like the old Bushnell Elites (4200, Elite Tactical, LRHS) Japanese quality by Light Optical Works (of Nightforce provenance).

New shit is mostly made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    The Nikon Rimfires are ok but .. The dropping circle reticle is too busy ..
    All mine have std plex reticles

One US lower price scope I really like is Mueller. Have had 3 over the years and currently have one on the 223 - ideal for that task. Clear, well made and reliable. Secondhand they seem to sell around $200-230 here. New price from Mueller Optics APV model in States is $170US. Good ratings. Lifetime warranty too (likely for first owner?).

My 3 have been the Mueller APV 4.5-14AO. If you see one on sale here I'd recommend them - class and performance for your dollar.

https://www.muelleroptics.com/produc...14x40ao-black/

I think @gadgetman has 1-2 as well. Good scopes.
    308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    All mine have std plex reticles
    Yeah I had a couple of Buckmaster 3-9x40s in camo, sold them as I got a good deal on some Monarchs. Should've kept them for my 22s.

My current bunny killer setup is a Chiappa Little Badger with a Nikko 2-7x32 and a dpt can. Using Aguila subs it's accurate out to 100m, which is more accurate than me. I can chuck it in a backpack, and it's dead quiet.
    mudgripz likes this.

Anybody have any feedback on the Sightron range. Am looking at the following as it fits my requirements nicely. Low weight 13.4 oz, cleans lines without all that turretty stuff but with a slight increase in magnification but still low at the bottom 3-12 x 42 which I need and a bit more field of view hopefully.
    https://www.deadeyedicks.co.nz/produ...reticle-63035/
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

The Sightron 'Big Sky' models were said to have better glass than the standard Sightron.
    If I'm remembering properly the Big Sky has been discontinued for a couple of years now.
    I like the Sightron scopes (Sightron Slll ED 45x45) but I'm only using it for indoor benchrest (lovely piece of kit, great glass). Yeah, a wee bit over the top for a bunny gun.
    But yeah, hard to complain about a Sightron.
    Edit: Found this...might help you.
    https://riflescope-review.com/sightr...-scope-review/
    Looked through a few Vectors too. Some are quite clear and some (even the exact same model) are a tad 'foggy', especially the vari powers when you wind them up to max.
    Last edited by Grey Kiwi; 24-01-2023 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks for the info. Not a lot came up in my searches but what did seemed favourable. Yes, they were discontinued in US but still seem to be available here and in Oz. The article said that the S2’s were made in Japan but I’ve also read that they were made in the Phillipines, who knows.
    It would be destined to go on the 260. I’ll contact DED tomorrow for a price and go from there.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”