Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: Interesting rimfire models: your reviews, pics, comments

The team's arsenal.. these 22s proved extremely effective for Canterbury high volume bunny shooting - 1000+ in an evening shoots etc.

Top one is a Marlin biathlon rifle - very heavy but cobber (current NZ team member) loved carting this thing around the farms! Next is @gadgetman's Marlin 980 bolt, then CZ452, and finally my wee 15" barrel JW15 shortie. Nothing flash about the bottom three, but all of these rifles very accurate on the bench and deadly at 100m on bunnies. By heavens they bowled some rabbits, cats and possums:

Name:  Pahau rifles.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  187.7 KB
    Last edited by mudgripz; 22-08-2022 at 02:08 PM.

Thread seems stuck on page 6 at the moment?
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

SLR
    I have a few oddball rimfires but my favourites are a 1909 Bayard auto ejector and a Heckler & Koch model 270
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    Picked this up today.
    1975 TOZ 17. Bought one of these at 14, on my dads licence, nostalgia rules.Attachment 148585
    Ive got one too-had it for over 40yrs -on loan to a mate .when I arrived here in chch from the coast I had the late Paulus Manders fit one of his suppressors. That rifle took rabbits possums galore plus was used more than once to euthanise ailing kids pets. have a stubby barrel JW15 ,and was gifdted a ruger 10/22 a wee while ago after selling off a mates firearms for him,as hed buggered off over the ditch .Mudgripz -I may need to talk to you sometime as Im aware youre the maestro on things .22

The Nylon 66
    Name:  20220415_113532.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  3.58 MB
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

That's a nice little Remmy Nylon 66. Remember that model from the 60s but wasn't aware they made them until 1989. Remington made some interesting 22s. Really like their early 510/511/512/341 models - lovely old rifles. And more recently the Speedmaster 552 semiauto and Fieldmaster 572 pump. A Speedmaster I would like.

Had a Toz 17 go through the gun closet recently. Very simple rifle, durable and reliable. It shot pretty well - sub 1" groups at 50m with hunting ammos and that's dead bunnies at 100. Good old worker. Here's an excellent Toz 17 deal currently on trademe - ideal for field rifle. Super tidy, Bushnell Banner 3-9x, looks like steel rings, suppressor and two magazines - all for $300. Helluva deal...alot for your money.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...7?bof=pQYLnWOi

There's a bloke up in Akld looking to get into bunny shooting - another thread. @Tall kiwi This Toz is well set up and would be a perfect learner/hunter.

Another Gevarm for the thread.
    E1 that's been integrally suppressed

Name:  IMG_8099.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  3.83 MB
    rugerman, john m, erniec and 5 others like this.

Over the weekend I had in my hands a Brno mk4, heavy barrel, flat target stock. Unfortunately it had been lopped to 21 inches ( down from the original 27 1/2)

I had a Savage Stevens many moons ago that was semi auto or push in the cocking piece and it made it a single shot. 9 round curved mag.
    Last edited by johnd; 25-08-2022 at 05:23 PM.

Nice Gevarm and Mossie - remember looking at one of those 377s. The early Savage/Stevens semis included what was sometimes called a 'click-clack' action - the bolt remained open until trigger pulled, then returned to open position. I could be corrected on this.

I did not know the Remington Nylon came out in the model 12 bolt action - just for couple of years it seems. Nylon 66 was very early for polymer stocks - 1959. I did have an early Remington 600 - the 18" barrel shortie in 243 that immediately preceded the Mohawk and 660. That was a pioneer too with plastic polymer trigger guard, plastic vent rib etc. Loved it. Very accurate and superb for northern bush. Wish I'd never sold it - be nice to have one now in 222.
    johnd likes this.

@mudgripz Savage I think it was an 85 or 87 model. The bolt fired from closed but was in two pieces. The two pieces seperated when cycling. Both parts travelled to the rear under recoil Then the forward section came through and picked up the next round. The sear held up the rear part untill you released the trigger back for the next shot. I remember the firing pin being a long T section that rode across both bolt parts.

One night out possumming I blew off one of the extractors ( it had two) sparks and shit flew out the left hand side of the gun through the "gills" on that side.
    i took it down to Sutherlands in NP and they put in a new extractor, I was a bit wary of it after that and sold it. But in reality it was probably the shitty old ICI ammo that had split a case rim.
    It got called a click clack gun because of the sound it made when reloading.
    mudgripz likes this.

Good to know... I looked at one briefly about 15-20 years ago - an 87A I think. I know they can go full auto quite easily - but so will other semis.

One semi I bought after doing a review around 2010 and absolutely enjoyed was the Marlin anniversary model 60DLX - 50 years of the model 60. This was made in the 'Remlin' period when Remington owned Marlin but they made a delightful job of it - unusal for them. American black walnut, gold lettering/trigger etc, and extremely accurate. Mine averaged 0.39" on bench for a set of four consecutive 5 shot groups. When I eventually sold it, new owner went on to win competitions with it. Here's a factory pic - wee jewel:

Name:  60.3.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  14.9 KB

And another that really impressed me was the Winchester 9422 XTR lever action. Had a brace of them in 22LR and WMR. Beautiful wee firearms - well made. Winchester of course made the models 250 and 150 lever 22s from around 63-73 - the 150 being the economy version - so far as I know. But these rifles were nowhere near as well received - or as well made. Can't remember putting much ammo through my 9422s - just enjoyed looking at them Here's factory pic:

Name:  winchester-9422.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  163.8 KB
    rugerman, john m and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    The Rem Nylon series includes the semi , bolt actions and a variety of stock colours. And CBC in Brazil made more of them on the Remington tooling after Remington stopped producing them
    Was made in a lever action too, the Model 76 I think. Would love to get my hands on one of those!

Interesting - I had no idea the Remington Nylon series extended into bolts - model 12, and levers - model 76. Saw very few Nylons in NZ back in the day and what I recall we did see were model 66 semis.

One other lever that did not catch on was the Winchester 150/250 series made around 63-73 or so. They looked ok but had a reputation for cheap manufacture and never really caught on. Here's a Rimfirecentral comment that might explain why:

"The Winchester 250 was introduced in 1964 as part of Winchester's drive to cut its prices by cutting quality. It is an intricate mass of cheap stampings and plastic parts all housed in an aluminum receiver and stocked in sycamore harvested from hanging trees. A particular fault of this rifle is that its steel breech block locks up in an aluminum receiver. Eventually the steel peens the aluminum and creates excess headspace. This is probably what is causing the misfires. The 250 was part of a series of .22s which included slide actions and autoloaders. How bad were they? Let's just say it took the introduction of the quality Winchester 9422 in 1972 to begin the salvage job on Winchester's reputation."

The Winchester 250 also came out in a deluxe version, and as an economy model labelled 150. I'd agree with the RFC guy's comments re the 9422 - a beautiful little pump. Anyone had one of these winchester 150/250s? The Remington 572 fieldmaster pump action was contemporary with this - made from 50s through to recently and that was a much better rifle - though I recall it could have barrel movement accuracy issues??

Name:  Winny 250.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  3.4 KB
    Last edited by mudgripz; 26-08-2022 at 01:23 PM.

Yes.. I recall same divide in opinions re pre and post 64 Winchester 94 centrefires. Had both of them in 30-30 - an early 60s model, and a later (circa 1990) 94 angle eject model but actually both were bloody good.

I think with the Remington 22s the Speedmaster 552 semiauto was better regarded than the Fieldmaster 572 pump. Fieldmaster scope was also receiver mounted of course, and from memory there could be a hint of barrel movement when operating the pump action forcibly...hence lesser accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    That's a nice little Remmy Nylon 66. Remember that model from the 60s but wasn't aware they made them until 1989. Remington made some interesting 22s. Really like their early 510/511/512/341 models - lovely old rifles. And more recently the Speedmaster 552 semiauto and Fieldmaster 572 pump. A Speedmaster I would like.

Had a Toz 17 go through the gun closet recently. Very simple rifle, durable and reliable. It shot pretty well - sub 1" groups at 50m with hunting ammos and that's dead bunnies at 100. Good old worker. Here's an excellent Toz 17 deal currently on trademe - ideal for field rifle. Super tidy, Bushnell Banner 3-9x, looks like steel rings, suppressor and two magazines - all for $300. Helluva deal...alot for your money.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...7?bof=pQYLnWOi

There's a bloke up in Akld looking to get into bunny shooting - another thread. @Tall kiwi This Toz is well set up and would be a perfect learner/hunter.
    Cheers. Still waiting for my license which may be a while away so obviously unable to buy anything yet.