Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: I've Experienced the Advantage of Hunting with Thermal and Night Vision

57JL
    Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    You can get a clip on with a rangefinder, and I was tempted to get that instead. Ive tried a Sytong clip-on without a rangefinder and I took it on a successful hunt. I put it on a standard scope that did not have parallax adjustment... and this meant that when it was in infra-red mode, either the cross-hairs or the target image were out of focus. Something to do with wavelength I think... and this is apparently fixable by altering the parallax adjustment on a scope. It was still functional and accurate. Another family member has taken custody of the add-on for now, but one day I'd like to try it with a parallax adjustable scope.

The clip on is great if you want to fit it to different rifles. If the scopes are securely mounted and zeroed, then moving the clip on can't affect accuracy.

While I haven't used the new Sytong NV scope much yet, I am glad that I made the choice to set up a dedicated .22 rig with a rangefinder. A decent parallax-adjustable scope is likely to cost a good portion of what you have to pay for a something like the HT-60 with a rangefinder, and then you have to buy the clip-on unit anyway. But, like I said, the clip on will work with an ordinary scope, but I prefer the image of the dedicated NV scope.

I should have noted in my opening post that I chose the version with the 3x - 8x power for my .22. In fact, even if I were going to buy one for a centrefire I'd probably choose this lesser magnification. A higher zoom power doesn't make me hold my rifle any steadier and it would probably reduce my field of view significantly. I like to have a good view of the surrounding area for safety reasons, and so I have a better chance of knowing what the heck happened after I take a shot.
    I have the Pard DS35 digital day /night vision scope with rangefinder and inferred illuminator that is mounted on the front end of the scope and it works really well.I can move it from my 22 and mount it on my 308 as you can set up a range of ballistic info for each load you are using be it 22, 308, or whatever cal you are using. Scope runs on Ix18650 battery so when it goes flat change it, takes no time at all to do that no internal battery that will die on you one day.

AR7
    Name:  20230701_204259.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  2.51 MB Hi Guys i thought i would try a night vision from China , it is a clip on but has its own ret.system same as a Pard so run it alone
    as you can see it is with out the eye rubber and this is sitting on a slightly [ cough, cough ] upgraded Ruger .. I think the only part of Ruger is the alloy bit in the middle
    There is also a red torch to light the way around in the dark . China unit works well enough ,not as clear as the high value stuff but all my shots are only 22lr range
    cheers to al