Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: kick arse suppresor ?

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Oh I thought 1050 fps was still subsonic ?
    When I say "crack" it's probably just noticeably louder than the 770fps stuff which sounds more like a air rifle level of noise
    What altitude do you shoot at? My mate in Twizel has a problem with most subsonic brands as the speed of sound is slower at altitude due to the less dense air, so many subsonics are not subsonic in the High Country. I can't recall which subsonic brand he finally decided was reliably subsonic for him, may have been CCI.

If the issue is "enough suppressor", have you tried shooting the suppressor wet? Detach, pour in water and empty it out, reattach, first couple shots are significantly quieter. I super-tuned a small steel suppressor with wire rolled mesh which would retain more wetness. Other option is to use KY gel, this basically will coat the inside of the suppressor with more water than it usually would hold without it squelching about. The water is SUPER effective at absorbing heat from the gases, remember back in science classes about something called "latent heat of vaporisation".

6 minute video, jump to 4 minutes for the bare bones and comparison.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Oh I thought 1050 fps was still subsonic ?
    When I say "crack" it's probably just noticeably louder than the 770fps stuff which sounds more like a air rifle level of noise
    The speed won't be exactly what it says on the box. From the few brands of subsonic ammo I've chrono'd you can easily get +- 50 fps. Shooting subs, my .22LR rifle with a suppressor is quieter than any break barrel air rifle I have (which is quite a few)
    rugerman and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    What altitude do you shoot at? My mate in Twizel has a problem with most subsonic brands as the speed of sound is slower at altitude due to the less dense air, so many subsonics are not subsonic in the High Country. I can't recall which subsonic brand he finally decided was reliably subsonic for him, may have been CCI.
    Interesting, because air density has virtually nil effect on the speed of sound. Temperature is the condition that has most affect.
    Cordite likes this.

Had issue with CCI subs going supersonic every now and then in my Brno model 2 ,mentioned it to the gunsmith he suggested cleaning the barrel and it worked,apparently the build up of wax from .22 rounds can make the od bullet go faster due to more back pressure or something.worth a shot..

I found a few boxes of the Aguila sniper subsonic 60gr, far out that stuff is quiet and hits super hard!

I tried all my suppressors on my 1022 as most of my rifles are 1/2-20 thread too
    it makes bugger all difference and centerfire suppressors including my muzzle forward dpt with at least 8 baffles on cuts bugger all off if any over my normal knock about 22lr solid core drilled type

with my brno model 2 I did find it was sending the occasional sub once in a blue moon over the sound barrier or near to
    id say above a 22mag suppressor the sound suppression benifits will taper off rapidly
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    I found a few boxes of the Aguila sniper subsonic 60gr, far out that stuff is quiet and hits super hard!
    man iv only ever heard stories of that stuff

Cheers for the suggestions guys I might try cleaning my rifle first as it is a bit of a dirty bitch and then try Cordites wetting the suppressor idea. I am in Shannon so not very high in altitude and depending on the day quite close to the gutter
    Geez Mintie those 60gr rounds sound like they would pack a pretty good wallop.

If I do buy another suppressor I think I might just go for a 223 one with extra baffles, although I guess if I buy a big one and it doesn't make much difference I could put it on the Tikka. Not looking for an excuse to go shopping but......

I use a dpt .22 suppressor on my 10/22 with couple of extra baffles,wouldn’t get much quieter I don’t think.
    rugerman likes this.

I'm currently running Winchester longZ but they are solid tip which gives the odd ricochet which made me thought I might try the cci quiet segmented.
    I might have a look at a 223 suppressor with extra baffles, although I'm not rushing into anything yet. I still have 1/2 a box of the Winchester rounds left. I do like the click....thwack that the very low velocity stuff gives.
    I had a 223 suppressor a while back, chucked it on my 22 and didn't notice any difference. I do have a couple of extra baffles on my DPT 22 suppressor. I have 2, one on a Savage Mk2F which I use supers/stingers with - that has the extra baffles, and one on my little badger that is standard size.
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    Interesting, because air density has virtually nil effect on the speed of sound. Temperature is the condition that has most affect.
    Thanks. Yes, that is indeed correct. I'll pass it on to my mate, he may have done his tests in the very cold Twizel winter (24/7 hoar frost for weeks on end) and camr to draw the wrong conclusion that it was to do with altitude alone.

Still, his observation remains, that only one brand was reliably crack-free, the others too close to the sound barrier to perform well in NZ-encountered conditions of lower sound velocity.

Cheers for the suggestions guys I might try cleaning my rifle first as it is a bit of a dirty bitch and then try Cordites wetting the suppressor idea. I am in Shannon so not very high in altitude and depending on the day quite close to the gutter
    Geez Mintie those 60gr rounds sound like they would pack a pretty good wallop.

If I do buy another suppressor I think I might just go for a 223 one with extra baffles, although I guess if I buy a big one and it doesn't make much difference I could put it on the Tikka. Not looking for an excuse to go shopping but......
    Forgot to mention, in suppressor expansion chamber, in addition to the wire mesh roll, I inserted two coil springs, one on inside of wire mesh, one on the outside of the wire mesh up against the suppressor wall. Gives sound something to travel round and as said above gives water / gel something to stick to.

If you just want to do the springs without the mesh, just use the weapon mainspring trick of having the springs wound in opposite directions so they won't interlace. If you have a selection of springs (dismantle any automatic transmissions lately?) you might have the right size range to slip in three or more springs!
    rugerman likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    Yes, but temperature drops as altitude increases, so there is an indirect effect of altitude.
    I read something in a hunting or tramping book years back that stuck in my brain - if I recall correctly, it said temperature drops 6.5 degrees for a 1000m increase in altitude, meaning the temp at the treeline is roughly 8 degrees lower than at sea level, all else being equal.

Have a look at Shootingstuff. To see if their ammo shipment has landed.
    They used to have the Eley 38gr hp hunting subs that are noticibly quieter than the cci ones.
    ( well not as quiet as the CCI CB's 29gr at 770fps)
    Z
    rugerman likes this.

How much quieter are they than the standard Winchester 40/42gr subs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk