Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: kids rifles

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Link us up !
    I bought it from the Richmond sports shop pre hunting and fishing.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Good question. I have never heard a ricochet and the bullet splash as it hits is quite obvious to see. In the paint. I'm sure it can and does riccochet but like I said. It's never been obvious

Sent from the swamp
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    I bought it from the Richmond sports shop pre hunting and fishing.
    I Know where to go then.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

So I ordered a savage rascal yesterday.... Should be here around Tuesday,...... Wee dot can hardly contain herself..... Gonna get a scope for it too and when she's mastered the peep sights I'll probably stick it on...or should I just stick it on and be done with? Ur thoughts please
    gadgetman and Shooter like this.

So I ordered a savage rascal yesterday.... Should be here around Tuesday,...... Wee dot can hardly contain herself..... Gonna get a scope for it too and when she's mastered the peep sights I'll probably stick it on...or should I just stick it on and be done with? Ur thoughts please
    ...Hope she likes the pink stock or I may be shopping for gun skins

Buy a $50 single shot on trade me cut the stock shorter and paint it a flash color of your choice all done for $70

northdude
    Its the grip to trigger area that needs shortening for little hands I put the scope on mine as the rear sight kept coming loose

Thought about it rambo-6mmrem, but like northdude said it's really the pistol grip area that's oversized for little paws.....plus when I come to sell it once she's big enough to move to adult size rifle I will still get my money back...

northdude
    Also you need to use the savage bases unless your a machinest and can make it work it think the bolt fouls on something from memory (bad)

Thanks northdude..... They said something about ordering rings or bases when they were on phone ordering it, never took much notice..... Had a Mauser 96 once that had been sporterised, that had a bolt handle that had been reversed..... Whoever did had not tempered the weld and I had an interesting experience in the bush....two days in and the bolt handle falls off.....very scary since there was a round up spout at time....and pissing off too....got it reattached by gunsmith and never had any more issues..... No I'm not a machinest so that is out....I did consider the chopping a rifle down to suit her and probably could have played with the pistol grip myself being a joiner but was a little concerned as to how strong it would be if I were to chop it about..... I'd rather just pay the coin and buy one that's designed for little paws

northdude
    No worries I've also got a sported m96 that's my main rifle had it since I was 13 on my second barrel its just the bases you need then any rings will do and u just put a cheap as tasco 4x32 on it we bought a box of CCI blazer ammo to use in it had a lot of ftf with it my girl is still getting use to it we are shooting at about 25m at the moment we've got to the stage where we have got all the shots on a4 and working on getting them to reduce that's shooting in a sitting position without a rest which is very good I think I can't do much better the thing also with the rascal is it should be worth good money still when it comes time to sell it probably worth more than a chopped up shitter
    Alpinehunter0 likes this.

Does anyone have experience fitting a wee holographic sight to a kids rifle, something along the lines of a Burris FastFire?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinehunter0 View Post
    Its always good to learn to shoot with the bare basics Stick with the open sights first then if the enthusiasm starts to wane put the scope on

yep always good to lern the basics of open site shooting id get the scope but use it as a reward set a goal like shooting a milk bottle cap from 15 or 20m for example and once that goal is reached they get the scope as a reward it gives the kids something to work towards and keeps them intrested
    im not the best shot with opens but i can use them well enough to kill a goat or deer at 100m if the scope gets buggerd on a hunt think its very importent to have basic open sight skills
    also use fun targets like balloons and steel spinners-(get one of those target trees) etc as kids get board with shooting paper these are great for kids great for dad to if set up at 100m or furter to test his skills
    Outdoor Outfitters .22cal Swing Target 22lr or air rifles only i blew a hole throuh one at 200m with a 223

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinehunter0 View Post
    Start with the peep sights. I started shooting with SLR, shot peeps with a smallbore club and bought a brand new .22 semi with a peep backsight, as my first rifle. I also ran a small rifle range complex for 14 years and everything that I have seen over thirty plus years of shooting, convinces me that peeps are the best way to start.

The oldest rifle in existence (made for the guy who invented the gunner's square, hence the expression 'shooting at point blank') is missing its front sight but still has the original peep backsight. They were the best option when the rifle was invented and they still are the best option for a new shooter.

And ... consider this. What message will you send to your your young lady, if you get her a brand new rifle, especially designed for little people ... and then start tossing bits away (or aside). I suggest that you ignore the advice of those who do not know how to use peep sights (or train multiple new shooters in the art of riflemanship) and train her to use this very special present, as it comes in the box.

When she gets to the stage that she needs a scope for sporting kills at greater ranges and target shooting buy her one. Make sure that it is a good scope, i.e. something without a thick reticle to disguise poor optics; and mount it with some Sportsmatch ring mounts as opposed to the cheap and nasty Chinese imitations.
    Last edited by ZG47; 29-08-2015 at 02:58 PM.
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.