Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: L.R Rifle

Good luck with factory loads & 700 metres, it's hard enough with a great calibre & handloads in good conditions.....

With some of the brakes available today recoil is all but a distant memory

All you need is some cheap imported electronic earmuffs then you are GTG & will probably hear more than you can now while hunting

I was shooting several of my new calibres yesterday & the T3 280ai with 162s at 2850-2900 was very surprising, it just about sat there

a demonstration of the above comment.

The Fat Bastard Muzzle Brake vs 338 Lapua - YouTube

I didnt realise he was new. And didnt mean to put him wrong. I have read some good things about the 260. I would always go for a magnum myself.
    I read that the 260 matches the 300 win mag trajectory, or is capeable of that. Thats on Wikipedia. But it will never match the killing power given the smaller projectile.
    In saying that about recoil, the 50 cals I was talking about, the recoil isnt that much than a 3006, really quite mild given the calibre. Excellent brakes. Just a little heavier than normal.
    And given the distance of 700m, I would be reluctant to do that on deer given the wind and I hate wounding deer, which would be easy to do at that range.

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by Konev View Post
    a demonstration of the above comment.

The Fat Bastard Muzzle Brake vs 338 Lapua - YouTube
    Thats good way to post about it.

Come on greg wheres yours??

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    Thats good way to post about it.

Come on greg wheres yours??
    Lol, my one is slightly better than the APA

The problem with video tests is thre only needs to be a small change in the ammo & the test is rigged, very easily.

The numbers on that demo are fairly legit I would say

Video as requested

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Lol, my one is slightly better than the APA

The problem with video tests is thre only needs to be a small change in the ammo & the test is rigged, very easily.

The numbers on that demo are fairly legit I would say

Video as requested

Haha the bench vid like that its quite impressive to be free on the bench like tah sells it even more.
    They all look the same prity much to reach as much reduction as possible

ill be up in weekend again have a pig infestation to clean up again with brother, we got 23 last weekend

god help the first highschool love interest that fucks her off.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    700m and Magnum are hand in glove. With a good brake most magnums can be tamed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kiwigreg in discuise hmmmmm
    veitnamcam and Kiwi Greg like this.

cheers for all the reply's. bit more of my back ground, been reloading for about 30 years, (.270) most of my shooting on tops and tussock country (last 20 plus years) is in the 300 to 500 metre range, didn't want to go down the 7mm mag road because everyone has one!!! got the ok for a another rifle from the other half so am in the process of elimination, like the sound of the .280ai, don't get hung up on 700 metres that was just the first figure that came into my head, if i don't feel comfortable with the shot i won't take it or will try to get in closer.
    cheers Hunty.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTY View Post
    cheers for all the reply's. bit more of my back ground, been reloading for about 30 years, (.270) most of my shooting on tops and tussock country (last 20 plus years) is in the 300 to 500 metre range, didn't want to go down the 7mm mag road because everyone has one!!! got the ok for a another rifle from the other half so am in the process of elimination, like the sound of the .280ai, don't get hung up on 700 metres that was just the first figure that came into my head, if i don't feel comfortable with the shot i won't take it or will try to get in closer.
    cheers Hunty.
    Sounds like a good start mate, My 280ai will make my 7mm mag obsolute so i am thinking of rebarrling into a 7Rum/ Stw or going the .338 edge route

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Sounds like a good start mate, My 280ai will make my 7mm mag obsolute so i am thinking of rebarrling into a 7Rum/ Stw or going the .338 edge route
    I might be able to help you with that, might even be able to reuse your barrel

I just got a new (to NZ as far as I know) 7mm calibre going this weekend

Initial testing is showing 162s at 32-3250 & 180s at 31-3150, 25.5" barrel

I will put my pressure test gear on after they come back from fluting, then I will have a definitive set of data

I will put more info up in my section.