Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree33Likes
  • 5 Post By Staffnurse41
  • 3 Post By norsk
  • 12 Post By luckey
  • 6 Post By Staffnurse41
  • 7 Post By Staffnurse41

Thread: Legacy Rifles

Legacy Rifles

Not sure where best to put this. My 23 yr son said the other day he was finding the bush hunting too easy and wondered out loud about shooting for awhile with open sights. I thought for a moment and asked him if he would be interested in using Grandads sporterised .303 and he was surprised it was still around but very keen.
    Now I shot my first 6 deer with that same rifle some 38 years ago and while I don’t know exactly when dad shot his first deer I have a photo when he was on a real adventure at age 18 up the Rooney River with that same rifle before it was sporterised. He definitely shot a deer on that trip in 1948 so about 75 years ago.
    Will upload some photos if I remember how
    Anyone else with a legacy story?

Four generations of my family have shot with the same shotgun at the same clay target club.
    Nick-D, Moa Hunter and ROKTOY like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

A few years ago my old Dad & I headed out for a stroll in the pine forest. Purely to humour him I dug out and brought along the 1895 Lee Enfield carbine that his uncle carried in the Boer War, passed on to Dad and then to me, pretty much original and still with open ramp sight. Loaded up 'just in case'. Lo and behold an unwary 180lb boar wandered across our path, Dad elbowed me and squirmed with excitement, the .303 spoke and down went the pig. Dad hooted & hollered & danced and almost wept with joy. A good moment.

Hopefully this comes through ok. Dad is in the middle and this would be 1948-49. They are heading up the Rooney River and camped on the tops and could look down onto Lake Monowai.
    Bit of a mission as they had to carry an old Seagull motor in to put on the old punt that used to be on Lake Hauroko. Stayed the night with the hermit ‘Wingy’ Henderson whose Bivy was basically near the current boat ramp parking.
    Pretty sure that front rifle is dads before he sporterised it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tahr, Burb122, Nick-D and 3 others like this.

This is Wingy’s Bivy - quite classic! No idea how he put up with the sandflies which tend to be feral so close to the Lake and with a swamp to the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tahr, Moa Hunter, Liam258 and 4 others like this.