Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: New 17hmr options and options

New 17hmr options and options

So... after way to many wines, a bottle of bubbles and some Tequila my jaw got slack and lips loose.
    A very good mate was after a 17hmr and I offered my CZ 455 as an option. The wanker promptly said yes, fuck me I wasn't expecting that.
    As my fuzzy brain slowly engaged 1st gear and and Tequila dripped down my chin it it dawned on me " shiiiiiiit, what am I going to replace it with?"
    So my sensible and sober forum members throw your opinions into the ring. A few options out there.
    Right where's my salt and lime gone.
    csmiffy and Boxton like this.

Caretaker
    Remington 504T LSHB

Name:  FF823219-4849-43FF-8404-22FC820CE30B.jpeg
Views: 500
Size:  201.1 KB
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 26-02-2023 at 07:05 PM.
    Ranal, viper and csmiffy like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I might be letting my 17 hornet go to a new home, reluctantly. Cz 527.

Ps, sorry forgot to mention it's in Timaru.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    Varmint or sporter ?

Threaded ?
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    Thanks but I have zero interest reloading . I did have a CZ 527 laminated varmint in 223 a few years back, great rifles.
    Thanks for the heads up though.

For your "bunny work" I'd say Browing T Bolt! 8 shot mag, accurate enough and fast, nice to carry, @Kiwi-Hunter uses his for his professional PD with great effect.
    viper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    For your "bunny work" I'd say Browing T Bolt! 8 shot mag, accurate enough and fast, nice to carry, @Kiwi-Hunter uses his for his professional PD with great effect.
    Yup, I have one and its great. Shoots lights out. Pro hunter mate has one too. Same. Although he says he finds the mag a bit fiddly to load. Minor point though. I never do.
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    So... after way to many wines, a bottle of bubbles and some Tequila my jaw got slack and lips loose.
    A very good mate was after a 17hmr and I offered my CZ 455 as an option. The wanker promptly said yes, fuck me I wasn't expecting that.
    As my fuzzy brain slowly engaged 1st gear and and Tequila dripped down my chin it it dawned on me " shiiiiiiit, what am I going to replace it with?"
    So my sensible and sober forum members throw your opinions into the ring. A few options out there.
    Right where's my salt and lime gone.
    @viper now you have given all your "mates" a prescription on how to extract from you exactly what they want .
    The cost of the listed lubrication is part of the purchase price. But I suspect it resulted in a bargain anyway.

So you have a headache and no rifle and now need to replace it
    viper and Micky Duck like this.

Get a howa mini in 223 surely there isn't much difference in price and availability between bulk 17hmr and 223 ammo these days ?
    Pengy, Tommy and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Get a howa mini in 223 surely there isn't much difference in price and availability between bulk 17hmr and 223 ammo these days ?
    I don't pay for ammo, 17HMR is way more useful to me . Almost zero ricochets , better for Vine yard work , Orchards and life style blocks.
    Kiwi-Hunter, BSA270 and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I don't pay for ammo, 17HMR is way more useful to me . Almost zero ricochets , better for Vine yard work , Orchards and life style blocks.
    Fair enough 17hmr is great for that, at least your not having to pay to feed it
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

If I were in your predicament, I would probably wait for your favourite (or maybe not so favourite) retailer to have a big sale (Easter etc.) and buy another CZ, having said that I have a "cheap" .17hmr that has performed amazing feats of accuracy. I own a Ruger American 16", 9 round rotary mag. I picked mine up on sale, before the bullshit prices of today for around $600 on special. Shoots stupidly small groups, easy to clean and zero issues. So there are budget options. My concern with .17hmr now is the price of ammo. I used buy 50 rounds of CCI TNT 17gr for $28, now it's $44. The calibre is hardly worth it any more. The problem with the price of ammo is, even if the prices drop overseas, retailers in NZ won't drop the prices because we've come to accept the prices as they are now. So in short it won't go back to being cheap again, so considering a different rifle in another calibre as Danny said my be worth your time too.

Here's my one

Name:  IMG_0817.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  1.06 MB
    Last edited by coltace; 27-02-2023 at 10:24 AM.
    TeRei and Micky Duck like this.

Weihrauch HW60j is a good quality option.Name:  E227EDD1-D32A-4BCB-BB85-7F3A6A577C20_1_201_a.jpeg
Views: 488
Size:  2.02 MB

I've just brought a Sako .17 Finn Fire. Its very well built and accurate. I'm just saving up atm for some decent optics for it.

Just one point that I have noticed is that the magazine when its full doesn't sit in the rifle well until you open the bolt to feed a round into the breach. Just a minor point but I'm paranoid about it and losing the magazine should it fall out.

Maybe it will sort itself out with a bit more use. Everything is very stiff and tight fitting from new.